Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 11, 2023 05:45PM

What is it with fundies and cakes?

If you use a certain colour, or write a word, will you spend eternity in hell?

If you want a rainbow on a birthday cake, are comitting a sin?

Which colours are "sinful?"

Which words are "evil?"

https://watermarkonline.com/2023/05/10/orlando-publix-refuses-to-write-trans-on-cake-for-peer-support-spaces-transgender-joy-event/

The founders of Peer Support Space are looking for answers after they were told by a Publix bakery that they could not write “Trans People Deserve Joy” on a cake because of a corporate policy.

The incident occurred on April 26 at the Publix at Colonialtown, located at 1500 E. Colonial Dr. in Orlando. Peer Support Space founders Yasmin Flasterstein and Dandelion Hill were purchasing a sheet cake for an event that evening that would focus on spreading love and support to the transgender community.

“The event was specifically to celebrate the trans community,” Flasterstein says. “We weren’t talking about specific legislation.”

When they put in the order for the cake, they asked for the phrase “Trans People Deserve Joy” to be written in icing on the cake.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 11, 2023 06:03PM

They should have said they were from an auto repair shop and wanted to celebrate the notion that "Transmission People Deserve Joy" and then sliced the 'mission' part out and shoved the two remaining pieces together.

Contrary to what some fungusmental Christians believe, it does NOT say "Gay Pride cometh before the fall" in the bible.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 11, 2023 06:19PM

To be fair, corporate's response is that the individual store bakery was in error.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 11, 2023 06:25PM

The article implies that the corporate admission did not lead to any steps to prevent it from happening again.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 11, 2023 06:58PM

If you’re black and they refused to make you a Black Lives Matter and instead make an, All Lives Matter, cake would that make them subject to a lawsuit?

Date: May 11, 2023 07:07PM

Did the Black Couple who adopted three White kids order a Vanilla Cake with white frosting or a Devils Food Cake with chocolate frosting?

Posted by: Anonymous Muser ( )
Date: May 11, 2023 08:02PM

Two possible solutions -

1. Tell Publix that the cake is for fans of a certain 1980s sci-fi movie and that the message is "Tron's People Deserve Joy."

2. Tell Publix that the cake is for people who like using theme park transportation and that the message is for "Trams' People Deserve Joy."

Then upon receipt of cake, simply nudge a small amount of icing around to display the intended message.

Posted by: Logiq ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 03:12AM

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 11:37AM

I sure won't want to do business with a company that has their beliefs and won't bend them to do what I want and crosses their beliefs.

What's stopping them throwing a few snot wads into the batter.

That's like dissing the staff at a restaurant that are the last ones to handle your food before it gets to your table.

Go to the store that appreciates your business.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 12:00PM

Tumwater wrote in part:

"Go to the store that appreciates your business."

That works well in urban areas )such as Miami, Jacksonville, Orlando, and Tampa) where a lot of options are available. It doesn't work so well in rural areas (Palatka, Sebring, Cross City, Lake City) where only one or two options may be available.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 12:26PM

Learn to bake a cake.

Date: May 12, 2023 01:08PM

> Learn to bake a cake.

The third thing that came to my mind was, "Learn to read, so you'll know which drinking fountain is yours."

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 14, 2023 04:48AM

They are banning books, cutting back education, and now censoring cakes. That's not how this country works.

Posted by: Buck Turgidson ( )
Date: May 14, 2023 10:52AM

catnip Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are banning books, cutting back education,
> and now censoring cakes. That's not how this
> country works.

The people who want these cakes are very often some of the ones who want to censor and cut books because they offend them. Roald Dahl for example. Just sayin'.

Date: May 14, 2023 10:57AM

Evidence? You have none.

Date: May 14, 2023 12:09PM

Speaking as a classroom teacher, no one is censoring Roald Dahl -- or Dr. Seuss for that matter. Teachers who work in states without idealogues for governors and legislators use their own judgment about what to include in classroom or school libraries. When I was in the classroom, I used to go through every book in my classroom library every school year. Since I had hundreds of books (maybe 600?) that was a big task! Generally I would only throw out books that were worn or damaged, or that were grossly outmoded (i.e. containing covert or overt racism. Some of those very old books are a trip.) Oh, and I wouldn't accept any religious books either, unless it was a nonfiction book describing, for instance, cultural or holiday traditions.

Some states and school districts trust their teachers to make sensible decisions.

Date: May 14, 2023 01:34PM

The right is far more censorial than the left. There is no comparison.

And Buck Turgidson--he loves Dr. Strangelove nicknames--can offer no evidence whatsoever tying Dahl's suppression to the people who ordered the cake.

He just makes stuff up out of thin air.

Posted by: Silence is Golden ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 01:35PM

IDK, its a cake walk of dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

Nobody wins when it comes to cake wars.

Order a sheet cake, have the sides decorated, maybe put a icing flower or something to your liking in the corner.

Go over to the baking isle, buy some frosting, one of those frosting tubes, and write what you want on the cake.

Both sides are happy, and there is no cake war.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 16, 2023 07:13AM

What kind of person would go to a business that they knew doesn't support their particular cause, way of life, etc, to order a cake, etc?

A person dedicated to a particular cause or a litigious birk? AKA a Karen?

Date: May 16, 2023 09:01AM

This wasn't some small bakery, this was a major supermarket chain bakery. It's going to get all kinds of requests. While I agree that there have been some test cases, in this particular matter, I don't think it was a test case. The woman mentioned that she went with words that under reasonable circumstances, should not have caused offense to anyone.

I could add that bakeries routinely and without comment write all kinds of things on cakes, i.e. congratulatory messages for baptisms, confirmations, bar mitzvahs, etc. If these are okay, why not a message expressing support for trans people?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2023 09:04AM by summer.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.