Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 02:23PM

The verdict is set to be read at 2:45 p.m. ET

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 03:07PM

GUILTY ON ALL CHARGES

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 05:32PM

Good!

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 03:12PM

Guilty on all counts.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 03:40PM

What happened to Nephi?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 04:11PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 04:33PM

Final arguments were made yesterday, so the jury only deliberated for a few hours.

Clearly it wasn't a close call.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 04:46PM

Do you think her lawyers will file an appeal?

Maybe it wasn't a fair trial because some non-Nephites were allowed to serve on the jury.

Date: May 12, 2023 04:58PM

At the risk of taking a joke seriously, I suspect the penalty phase will result in a death sentence; and death sentences in headline trials are almost always appealed.

My guess is she will still be with us in a decade's time.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 07:03PM

https://www.boisestatepublicradio.org/news/2023-03-22/death-penalty-removed-from-lori-vallows-case-trial-to-begin-on-april-3

"Lori Vallow will not face the death penalty in her upcoming murder trial after east Idaho district Judge Steven Boyce granted a request from Vallow’s defense team on Tuesday.

The team asked to remove potential capital punishment due to the media saturation with the case, Vallow’s mental condition and alleged missteps in handing over evidence by prosecutors."

Date: May 12, 2023 07:08PM

Thank you.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: May 13, 2023 08:09PM

I think her attorneys have already begun their appeals, at least among the public.

Date: May 13, 2023 04:12PM

Death penalty cases are often much more expensive to pursue as opposed to keeping someone in jail for the rest of his or her life. They are expensive due to all of the appeals.

Date: May 13, 2023 04:59PM

That is true. It is much more expensive to execute someone than to keep them imprisoned for life.

Date: May 12, 2023 05:22PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you think her lawyers will file an appeal?
>
> Maybe it wasn't a fair trial because some
> non-Nephites were allowed to serve on the jury.

Of course they will file an appeal. Not an attorney, so very much open to correction, but I believe they need to have a valid reason to file an appeal, not just a "we are unhappy about the verdict and want someone else to rule differently". I believe they need to cite (what they believe) to be procedural errors or bad rulings by the trial judge, or claim inadequate defense.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 05:41PM

Is, "None of the juries believed me!" a basis for demanding a new trial?

Date: May 12, 2023 05:54PM

You need to ALLEGE a valid reason for an appeal.

That'll get the ball rolling and, when an adverse ruling issues, you can allege another valid reason and start the process all over again. The courts bend over backwards to ensure fairness in capital punishment cases, so this can go on for a long time.

If Vallow wants to stay alive, she can for many years.

Date: May 12, 2023 06:08PM

If she claims insanity, she will finally get some validation.

Date: May 12, 2023 07:09PM

I tried that once over a parking ticket. It didn't work.

Date: May 12, 2023 08:51PM

She turned me into a newt! I got better.

Date: May 12, 2023 09:02PM

Yes, you've been a better newt ever since.

Date: May 14, 2023 05:23AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> You need to ALLEGE a valid reason for an appeal.
>
>
> That'll get the ball rolling and, when an adverse
> ruling issues, you can allege another valid reason
> and start the process all over again. The courts
> bend over backwards to ensure fairness in capital
> punishment cases, so this can go on for a long
> time.
>
> If Vallow wants to stay alive, she can for many
> years.

This wasn't a capital punishment case. They took the death penalty off the table in her case. Chad's trial will be a capital trial.

Date: May 14, 2023 11:12AM

Yes, I have been corrected on that.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 05:48PM

Chaaaad... Your next

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 06:36PM

I believe the prosecutor took the death penalty off the table (could be wrong)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 06:57PM

I don't understand all the legal mumbo jumbo, but the death penalty was taken off the table because of some late discovery of evidence.

No idea the details.

Date: May 12, 2023 07:37PM

Well, as a convicted child killer, she won't do well in the general prison population. Even prisoners have their standards. I think she's going to have a lot of alone time in which to ponder her sins.

Date: May 12, 2023 07:40PM

If she's a psychopath, which seems likely, she'll not ponder her sins but her conviction. She'll regret having been caught.

Such people don't have empathy for their victims and never will.

Date: May 12, 2023 07:56PM

I agree. She's likely a sociopath -- a murdering sociopath. It will all be someone else's fault. *sigh*

Date: May 12, 2023 09:38PM

Does anyone know how long the jury deliberated?

It sure doesn't seem like it was a long time, and-

It's a glaring error that no one with inspiration prevents incidents like this beforehand.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 12, 2023 09:41PM

Six hours over two days.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: May 13, 2023 02:58AM

I thought Lori and Chad were supposed to escape thru a portal. Couldn’t she find it?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 13, 2023 01:07PM

I heard that someone put a padlock on her portal-potty!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 13, 2023 04:15PM

I wouldn't be surprised if a judge grants her a new trial or throws out the conviction. I'm rather surprised that the court found her sane to begin with.

Date: May 13, 2023 04:57PM

Idaho does not have a traditional insanity defense. The question therefore does not arise.

But even if it did, "legal" insanity is not the same thing as "medical" insanity. The standard would be something like whether Lori 1) understands the charges against her, 2) is capable of conforming her actions to the law--in other words, she was capable of not murdering her children--and 3) can competently assist in her own defense. She meets all of those requirements.

She wouldn't win on insanity grounds.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 13, 2023 06:04PM

What about a finding of guilty, but insane?

If she were locked up in a hospital for the criminally insane, or a prison, I'd be OK with either of those.

I think she probably is medically insane, but then so are a lot of Mormons who have really gone off the deep end - you know, the Church of the Firstborn-ers and Dream Mine Believers, and FLDS - those people.

Date: May 13, 2023 06:16PM

Idaho does not recognize "guilty but insane" because it doesn't recognize insanity as a defense in the first place.

And frankly, I suspect most shrinks would not pronounce her insane insofar as crazy beliefs are pretty common among humans. I don't think that Lori, or Chad, or the Laffertys, or Ted Bundy, or Trump qualify as insane because they simply choose to belief, with varying degrees of certainty, what is in their interests to believe. That's not insanity.

Remember that psychopaths don't care about truth. Truth is what they want it to be--and they are absolutely sincere in that conviction, which is why they frequently pass lie detector tests and why they often get others to follow them. It may be a factual lie but the emotions behind it are real.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 13, 2023 07:04PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> Remember that psychopaths don't care about truth.
> Truth is what they want it to be--and they are
> absolutely sincere in that conviction, which is
> why they frequently pass lie detector tests and
> why they often get others to follow them. It may
> be a factual lie but the emotions behind it are
> real.

Thinking of the name/s you included in your comment, I would not use the descriptor "sincere". More like to obtain personal gain. Too, to me, a lie is volitional. A mistake is not. Being misinformed is not or at least not necessarily. But lying is a choice. It's hard to believe that a person isn't aware they're lying when they are demonstrably doing so. At the least, they should be willing to accept correction, especially in the light of incontrovertible evidence. I would query the emotions element too. Not all the same across the board, of course.

But what do I know...

Date: May 13, 2023 07:19PM

Oh, psychopaths and sociopaths know they're lying. They just don't care. They don't care so much, in fact, that they are committed not to factual truth but to their own emotional needs, which they express with the sincerity normal people associate with truth.

Again, that's why lie detectors are of little or no use when dealing with them. Telling lies is so natural to them that they don't have the normal physiological stresses when doing so. To the contrary, psychopaths evaluate everything according to their own desires. By that standard, lies are more real in emotional terms than facts are.

Date: May 14, 2023 02:53PM

with the growth of technologies & some other disciplines, telling 'the whole truth' isn't 100% as definitive as we once thought...

Take for example the questions regarding coffee & tea (see recent thread); this partly explains why some ('religious') people prefer to have so much of life determined & decided for themselves by others.

I understand that to be a primary reason why TBMs stick the way they do while others examine & question dicta.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.