Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: When the Whistle Blows ( )
Date: May 16, 2023 05:36AM

If you couldn't watch the 60 Minutes report on church finances and/or don't live in the USA, the link is here:
https://youtu.be/k3_Fhq7sEHo

Extended version of Waddell's interview:
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/bishop-christopher-waddell-defends-the-mormon-churchs-handling-of-its-vast-holdings/#x

Deseret's response
https://www.deseret.com/faith/2023/5/14/23649253/cbs-60-minutes-mormon-lds-church-finance-story-what-it-missed

"If the church did have $150 billion, a figure the church did not confirm during the “60 Minutes” interview, then the $6 billion it is said to spend annually on its mission would represent 4% in annual charitable spending, above what a retired IRS executive told “60 Minutes” would be necessary for a non-church 501c3 to maintain its nonprofit status. Unlike other charitable 501c3 entities, churches are not required by the IRS to make minimum disbursements."

And TikTok's reponse to the response
https://www.tiktok.com/@nuancehoe/video/7233251666114628910

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 16, 2023 06:21AM

I noticed that Waddell did not deny the figure of $150 billion in investments. That would include (from what I understand,) the $100 billion EPA account and the secondary account that is over $30 billion. I think the interviewer might have intentionally pitched the total just a bit high so that Waddell's first impulse, which he resisted, would have been to correct it to the lower amount of $130 to $140 billion.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: May 16, 2023 08:02PM

"If you couldn't watch the 60 Minutes report on church finances and/or don't live in the USA, the link is here:
https://youtu.be/k3_Fhq7sEHo";

That video has 1.3 million views in 1 day. Bad publicity for the lds church.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 16, 2023 09:23PM

For me, one of the biggest issues with all that moolah is that the church leaders lean so heavily on their mandatory tithing requirement for every member, no matter their circumstances. Somebody on another thread (sorry, I forget who - no time to look it up) posted the outrageous comments of a past church leader who said essentially that even if your entire world is crashing around your head (no job, no money, no prospects, bad health, urgent family needs, no hope) still pay your tithing first. That is an absolutely outrageously terrible way for a church to treat its flock. People in those situations are the very ones they should be helping, not taking money from them that they need in order to keep their own selves afloat.

Second biggest issue, for me, is the shell games to stay just barely at the 4% level of "charitable" giving so as to maintain their charitable status, which the church spokesperson so helpfully explained.

Third is why is "donating" to its own university considered a charitable contribution?

Posted by: Lapwing ( )
Date: May 17, 2023 05:45PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Third is why is "donating" to its own university
> considered a charitable contribution?

Probably because they could justify it through scholarships etc. BTW I agree with you on this.

I would be more concerned about it being used to prop up shoping malls in a day when online retail is emerging, or Beneficial Life etc.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 17, 2023 10:57PM

The mall wasn’t propped up. It was built from scratch. I actually think that is a legitimate investment, in that they intend to make money from it, and as far as I can tell, are making money.

The retail portion seems to be doing ok, and there are two high rise office towers and four high rise condo buildings, and four levels of underground parking, so there are other sources of income. It is not just retail.

Posted by: Fact Checker ( )
Date: May 18, 2023 04:14AM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> The mall wasn’t propped up. It was built from
> scratch. I actually think that is a legitimate
> investment, in that they intend to make money from
> it, and as far as I can tell, are making money.
>
> The retail portion seems to be doing ok, and there
> are two high rise office towers and four high rise
> condo buildings, and four levels of underground
> parking, so there are other sources of income. It
> is not just retail.

What's a church which hates coffee doing with a mall which includes coffee shops? Talk about supping with Babylon.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 10:59AM

This is where church indoctrination can be very harmful to people of low to moderate income. If you are low income, pretty much every cent is going to essentials. And there are community food pantries and diaper banks that don't make inquiries about your religious status.

If you are moderate income, then the 10% is needed for emergencies and also just to have a decent life (i.e. to pay a cable bill or to go on vacation.)

No one should be making major sacrifices to tithe to a rich church.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 06, 2023 08:34PM

summer Wrote:
> If you are low income, pretty much every cent is
> going to essentials.

Absolutely. And you shouldn't be made to feel guilty about that. In fact, they should be giving YOU $$ if you need it.

> If you are moderate income, then the 10% is needed
> for emergencies and also just to have a decent
> life (i.e. to pay a cable bill or to go on
> vacation.)

Makes perfect sense.

> No one should be making major sacrifices to tithe
> to a rich church.

Amen.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 16, 2023 11:34PM

It was a scam from the beginning
It was a con then and ever shall be
Fraud without end,
Amen, Amen.

Posted by: unconventional ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 08:32AM

We must always remind ourselves of this.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 06, 2023 07:28AM

Yup, many landlords have a problem with gophers. The Smith's landlord had a problem with Smiths. They dug holes all over his property looking for buried treasure.

Joseph wasn't getting by on his treasure digging wages, so he founded a religion so people would give him money for telling them what they wanted to hear. Who doesn't want to hear how special and elect they are? Why, you even get to rule and reign in heaven. Promise. Now give us money.

Posted by: Judex Maxissimus ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 04:07AM

Does anyone have any updates on this?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.