Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 22, 2023 07:58PM

https://mynorthwest.com/3891777/university-place-school-district-settles-sexual-abuse-case-for-9-5m/

This creep was in my ward and was a scout leader in my kids ward scout troop. He was my kid’s wrestling coach. Glad I got them out b4 this creep got ahold of my kids. So many Mormons protected and enabled him by remaining silent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 22, 2023 08:34PM

This one makes TSCC look bad

https://www.washingtonlawcenter.com/david-oconnor-curtis-junior-high-sex-abuse-case/

"David O’Connor was an active member of the LDS Church. After he was convicted of sex crimes against children, a “church court” was held and David O’Connor “disfellowshiped” from the Church. Yet, he continued to try and participate in Church activities. Ultimately, due to his persistence, the Church granted his fellowship prior to 1980 during the time he was in sex offender treatment.

Beyond granting fellowship to a convicted sex offender who was actively in sex offender treatment for crimes against children, Bishop James Ely of the South Tacoma Stake befriended O’Connor and worked to get him released from sex offender treatment.

After critiquing the treatment that was designed to rehabilitate sex offenders and keep the public safe, Bishop Ely went ever [SIC] further, in that, he requested that David O’Connor be released prior to completing the treatment. As seen above, Bishop Ely wrote that he would be “happy to sponsor or take responsibility for Mr. O’Connor at any time.” Beyond that, Bishop Ely wrote that, “I would be happy to guarantee that [David O’Connor] is rehabilitated and ready to continue progressing in his life, and that he no longer needs the help of Western State Hospital.”

Ultimately, David O’Connor was released and welcome back into the Tacoma LDS Community. The Bishop had a made a personal guarantee of safety and with that David O’Connor became increasingly involved with Boy Scouts, wrestling, weight lifting and other associated activities. He preyed on children. Many of the children he abused were young boys that were told to trust David O’Connor. They were encouraged to spend time with him."

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 22, 2023 08:38PM

"Inspiration"  

Where would the church be without it?

Date: May 22, 2023 09:42PM

This all came out after I resigned from the abusive CULT I was born into, but I knew about this guy’s past. Everybody knew. He stood up at F&T at Tacoma YA Ward and told everybody about it. My wife was in the ward at the time. while he was being treated as a sex offender at Western State Mental Hospital down the street for pedophilia he’d committed in a city down the street. .
He was refelliwshipped and integrated into the singles ward. married a Mormon girl in the YA Ward. He became a prison guard at McNeil Island, sex offender unit.
They had 5 sons, one of whom was once my student as a young man and after he grew up, my friend, after we bot left the abusive CULT. We’d sing, “Losing My Religion” at the local Karaoke Bar together, often, with gusto laughing all the way through it. And the whole bar would sing along.
He committed suicide.
No note.
I can only imagine the hell he endured before he took his precious life.
His blood is on the hands of this abusive CULT that clearly enabled his abuse.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 12:53PM

sc-

What church involvement was there with this individual?

Very few Non-Mos know about cult ‘forgiving’ and secrecy

Date: May 23, 2023 01:26PM

You mean beyond granting fellowship to a convicted sex offender who was actively in sex offender treatment for crimes against children?

Bishop James Ely of the South Tacoma Stake befriended O’Connor and worked to get him released from sex offender treatment. They eventually brought him back into full fellowship and gave him a ‘calling’ as a scout leader, who got out of sex offender treatment early, thanks to the church.

The same Bishop who threatened me with excommunication for speaking about my doubts with my wife and kids, was perfectly fine with putting a convicted sex predator in charge of my kids scout troop.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 04:51PM

Another black eye for "special discernment"

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: May 23, 2023 05:13PM

The elder who sexually assaulted the MTC language teacher (in front of the entire class) had previously been arrested for sexually assaulting his girlfriend. He was sent to serve a church mission as his "treatment".

As if I didn't learn my lesson, I stuck my neck out when giving a good word about a Mormon kid a bit younger than me. I was asked by the personnel director at a retail store if this Mormon would be trustworthy.

Well.....the pinhead lying SOB Mormon didn't list his latest fast food job. He was fired for stealing several hundred from the cash till. Then he was put on a register one night...he was fired the next morning as 300 hundred went missing. The dude's mom confronted me at church- You got my son fired. He's not a thief. You framed him.

She reported me to the bishop, but I never got called in.

Umm. No. I can't frame anyone if I was watering plants and flowers during my shift. I never had access to the register he was assigned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2023 05:13PM by messygoop.

Date: May 30, 2023 05:45PM

It runs in the family.
His Son got arrested recently for sexual abuse of a minor.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2022/05/virginia-man-to-appear-in-madison-county-court-for-alleged-sexual-assault/

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: May 30, 2023 08:12PM

It makes one wonder if he wasn't a victim of his father as well.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 30, 2023 08:21PM

+1

Date: May 31, 2023 01:12AM

True.
It wouldn’t surprise me.
I knew his oldest son, who committed suicide.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.