Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 03:06PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 03:09PM

I was thinking the same thing :)

Now he knows.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 03:16PM

Queen of Rock and Roll...RIP

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 05:55PM

83. Just a kid.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 24, 2023 11:00PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 25, 2023 02:14AM

Headline :"Tina Turner has joined the ancestors"

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 25, 2023 03:03AM

Rolling Stone obit https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/tina-turner-dead-obit-192002/

Related

“Her marriage provided much of the material for the 1993 film “What’s Love Got to Do With It,” with Angela Bassett and Laurence Fishburne in the lead roles. Ms. Turner rerecorded some of her hits, and a new song, “I Don’t Wanna Fight,” for the film, but otherwise declined to participate. “Why would I want to see Ike Turner beat me up again?” she said at the time.”

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 26, 2023 10:05PM

Still writing, consulting, and going strong.

Date: May 27, 2023 03:52AM

Why is he not in prison ?

Posted by: Caffiend nli ( )
Date: May 27, 2023 10:52AM

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: May 27, 2023 11:35AM

His crime? Are you kidding?

Even more than the Clintons & Bushes and Obama —way more, as hard as that is to conceive— Henry Kissinger is a mass murdering war criminal. No one since WW2 has more blood on his hands.

To the Hague with him; if the U.S. had a fleck of decency, that is.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 27, 2023 11:41AM

"...it is an insult to history that he is not equally known and regarded for his many acts of treachery—secret bombings, coup-plotting, supporting military juntas—that resulted in the death of hundreds of thousands.

"Kissinger’s diplomatic conniving led to or enabled slaughters around the globe. As he blows out all those candles, let’s call the roll:

"Argentina

"East Timor

"Chile

"Bangladesh

"Cambodia"

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2023/05/henry-kissinger-at-100-still-a-war-criminal/#:~:text=Yet%20it%20is%20an%20insult,enabled%20slaughters%20around%20the%20globe.

I did not read any what followed each topic heading; I don't need any details to convince me that all men are flawed and that the more power a human has, the more seriously his/her blunders affect those within reach.

Any human who can think can make mistakes, and the greater his or her reach, the more suffering these mistakes can cause.  Even proposed acts of kindness can be sources of pain.

The adoration or worship of a person or an ideology or belief is always a source of contention somewhere down the line.  Ghawds are supposed to want the best for us but too often produce the worst we humans have ever experienced.

Whether or not Kissinger is a criminal could be subsumed in the question, "Who among us is fit to cast the first stone?"  But a huge majority of us have the hubris (and selective memory) to feel entitled to that role.

Posted by: Henry Bemis ( )
Date: May 31, 2023 03:09PM

I am not sure what all of this has to do with Tina Turner. I suppose that once we get to the sins of Ike, the moral floodgates are opened, and 'let the buyer beware.'

I am only generally familiar with the 'sins' of Henry Kissinger. Nonetheless, I take issue with your 'let's all just get along' type attitude toward evil doers, while citing the Bible, no less.

"Whether or not Kissinger is a criminal could be subsumed in the question, "Who among us is fit to cast the first stone?" But a huge majority of us have the hubris (and selective memory) to feel entitled to that role."

COMMENT: It is fair to say that human beings are complicated, and that their actions very often cause both good and harm, making it difficult at times to make a global judgment of their general moral character and their legacy.

Notwithstanding, one can still make the attempt, and in so doing (1) isolate individual actions and their consequences; (2) assess the relative good and harm caused by such actions; (3) determine the background knowledge behind such actions; and, most importantly, (4) determine the motivations behind such actions. *In fact, in a moral society, there is arguably an obligation to do just that!* The "hubris" to make moral judgments--right or wrong--is an essential part of being human, and of being members of a society that we hope will move forward toward moral improvement.

Again, I am not an expert on Henry Kissinger, but by modern hindsight, a harsh indictment is arguably in order for many of his politically motivated decisions and actions as Secretary of State that caused the suffering of countless innocent people. You have to believe that 'American might makes right' per se to morally validate such actions at this point.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 09:37PM

"I am not sure what all of this has to do with Tina Turner."

We don't need another hero
We don't need to know the way home
All we want is life beyond Thunderdome

Posted by: TinaTurner ( )
Date: May 27, 2023 11:48PM

Date: June 04, 2023 08:51PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.