Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 26, 2023 12:08PM

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2023/05/24/plans-for-101-foot-mormon-temple-in-cody-spark-opposition-petition-drive/

MORmON CULT wants a zoning exemption to more than triple the 30ft height limit in this residential zone.

“ Keep Religion Out Of It
The neighborhood group says the temple doesn’t follow the city’s master plan when it comes to building and developing and that project infringes on the architectural integrity of the neighborhood surrounding it. Also, it will cause light pollution, dangerous traffic and damage to wildlife habitat.
Under the master plan, the existing character of the city’s neighborhoods and residential areas must be maintained. New development not in harmony with this character is discouraged.
“Once there’s an exception made to the existing rules, where else could developers or whomever take advantage of that precedence and do what they wish?” Skinner asked.
Some people have criticized the Mormon religion itself in their opposition to the structure.
Luke Hopkin, a Cody resident and LDS member, told Cowboy State Daily he supports an open discussion on the building as long as it solely pertains to the facility, which he said will be located 350 feet from the nearest residence. The neighboring residences are relatively upscale.
“Honest questions or concerns about the temple project, or sincere questions about the LDS religion, are welcome in my opinion,” Hopkin said. “The negative comments, and misinformation, about the temple and the religion don't personally bother me, but they also don't help the conversation. They muddy the water of honest concerns and cause division and unnecessary strife.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 26, 2023 12:42PM

This whole 'temple-be-a-good-neighbor-don't-keep-the-lights-on-so-bright-all-night' thing is becoming a fascinating exercise in reading and comprehension!

In trying to follow up on stuff and things, some of which actually related to the topic, I found the following in an exposé* published by Conde Naste in November of 1941, the timing of which I found to be incredibly incredible:

"I agree with everything
postulated in this story, except
for those portions of the story
that are incorrect, incomplete,
or beyond my comprehension.  

"Do what is right and let
the inconsequence lie fallow!"
            --A Concerned Mother

And so I leave you with this thought which I hope you will treat with the honor, demeanor, and decorum it deserves:  Can a temple sin?  

*The exposé was about the infiltration of Nazi poultry into America's heartland, as evidenced by goose-stepping roosters!

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 26, 2023 04:47PM

Saw that after I posted this article, had no idea what it was about from the title.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 26, 2023 05:01PM

I say don't sweat it!  Good things are worth repeating...but maybe limit it to single-digit repetitions if you can.

Posted by: John Boy ( )
Date: May 27, 2023 07:59AM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hopkin
> said. “The negative comments, and
> misinformation,..

Take a note of the word Hopkin uses there –"misinformation". You see it all the time now in response to valid criticism. Anyone who uses it continually is deflecting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.