Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 31, 2023 07:14PM

In a vote held in conjunction with this past Monday's Alberta Provincial election the result was 53% to 47% for allowing limited liquor sales in eating establishments and at the golf course. Several of the promoters of the vote are Mormon restaurateurs. It's a non binding vote but meant to give town council direction. Will be interesting to see what happens at the next council meeting. Cardston has been "dry" for 100 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2023 07:15PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 31, 2023 11:56PM

When I lived in Texas 40 some years ago, area were wet or dry not by county or city, but by voting precinct.

Voting precincts are not very large, typically a thousand voters, give or take a few hundred. Note that polling places may serve several precincts, but the precincts themselves are deliberately kept small.

I lived in an area that had a lot of engineers from out of stste, mostly the northeast, and a number of the precincts had recently gone wet. The local Southern Baptists were not amused. Damn Yankees.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 01, 2023 05:33AM

From having worked in the restaurant industry many years ago, having a liquor license can often make or break a restaurant. Profit margins on food are slim -- just a few percent. Restaurants make most of their money on alcoholic beverages. Even the Mormons like to make money.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 01, 2023 11:52AM

When mormons make money, they know it's because ghawd loves them.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 01, 2023 04:54PM

Plus, some people are more generous tippers when they've had a drink or two.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: June 01, 2023 10:04PM

One of the Mormon restauranteurs said he'd had people stop in on a hot day, ask for a cold beer and upon being told they don't serve alcohol, asked where they could get a drink, got up and left.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 02, 2023 05:32PM

Yeah, there's nothing like a cold beer on a hot day -- one of life's simple pleasures. Plus, (bonus!) it's an allowed "mild barley drink" under the WoW.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: June 01, 2023 04:43PM

>> Cardston has been "dry" for 100 years. <<

They obviously aren't fasting enough or paying enough tithing.

Posted by: kerri ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 04:57AM

Never bothered me too much. I'd sneak it to my husband's family's dreadful Cardston reunions.

His mother gets upset enough at my diet coke can. She'd drop dead gasping if she knew I had put vodka in it too.

Shudder, glad to live on the other side of the world now. :-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.