Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: June 03, 2023 09:13PM

Why are't the "backroom people" who signed for each shell company being held responsible by the SEC and IRS? I understand that they were real people. Anyone with a high School diploma would know better than signing something they knew nothing about. I am surprised none of them were fired---even to just make the Mormon church look a teeny tiny bit less guilty. "We fired those people who made the mistakes". Blah Blah.
I can easily see the church doing that.

On the other hand maybe they were let go with a check and a signed document not to say anything or sue them. It does make each one of them look guilty of fraud. How do they explain this to a possible future employer? Even if Mr Nielson watched out for them--- this should be a learning experience that even the church will scam anyone if the price of getting caught is high enough.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 03, 2023 10:02PM

I know, right!?
I'm tired of all the criming (verbing here) going on and justice (if any) being so slow it's ineffective.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 03, 2023 10:26PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 04:30PM

When it comes to crime and its various conjugations and permutations. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-EF60neguk

Posted by: John Galt ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 05:28PM

dagny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know, right!?
> I'm tired of all the criming (verbing here) going
> on and justice (if any) being so slow it's
> ineffective.

1) I'm tired of all the crime being committed.
2) I'm tired of all the crimes committed.
3) I'm tired of all the crime going on.
4) I'm tired of all the criminal activity.
etc etc

:D

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 08:43AM

"Anyone with a high School diploma would know better than signing something they knew nothing about"

Having it on church letterhead makes it okay. You're signing for Jesus.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 05:33PM

I know, right? Since when do you sign a document when you are given only the last page?

I don't care how long the document is, I will at least skim it before signing. If someone hands me a twenty page document to sign, I will make them sit there and wait while I read it. I will not take anyone's word for what I am signing.

Date: June 04, 2023 08:00PM

You're not interested in a story about Golden Plates and white supremacy in 19th century America? You would make a lousy cult member.

The buck really does stop at the top of any cult organization. Or to quote a sign outside of Harry S. Truman Elementary, "The bus stops here".

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 09:08AM

I agree with you, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 09:17AM

Can you imagine that termination meeting?

"We have to let you go. You illegally signed a fake document."

"But...but..but..you told me to! You're the Lord's anointed!"

"You have agency. Satan was testing you".

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 03:35PM

Two of the people running the shell companies did resign rather than sign the phony SEC declaration forms, so there were a few people with integrity.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: June 04, 2023 04:23PM

They are all white (I presume) and relatively wealthy. Nothing will happen to them.

IMO.

Date: June 04, 2023 11:22PM

Ok, for starters, there is nothing for the IRS to go after them for. Form 13F is an SEC form. It’s got nothing to do with the IRS. Neither the church nor Ensign Peak violated any tax law by filing misleading 13Fs.

Second, while filing the misleading forms was illegal, what they were trying to hide by doing so is not illegal. Their owning billions in stock is not illegal. It’s embarrassing if you are trying to pass yourself off as a hat-in-hand church, but it’s not illegal. So, they weren’t trying to hide a crime by filing false forms. That matters.

Third, when a corporation does something illegal, it’s not the people in the middle that the government goes after. It is the people at the top (Elizabeth Holmes case in point) or the corporation as a financial entity, which is what the SEC did to LDS Inc and Ensign Peak, and what Dominion did to Fox.

Getting dinged $5 million is not that much of a financial hit, but reputationally, it’s gonna leave a mark.

Nobody anywhere would go to prison for filing a misleading form unless it were part of a larger crime. The forms were filed at the request of the corporations (LDS and EP) and it is the corporations that were fined and had their reputations tarred.

Date: June 04, 2023 11:29PM

Tarred and feathered like Joseph. I suppose it's too much to wish for the surgical kit to be used this time around.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: June 05, 2023 04:20PM

Nothing for the IRS?
What about the stated purpose: charity fund?
Then doing no charity, bailing out a for-profit business?
Wasn't that the original whistle-blower complaint?
Help me understand.

Date: June 04, 2023 11:52PM

"Anyone with a high School diploma would know better than signing something they knew nothing about"

Oh really?

How many of you have clicked to accept a software license agreement, which is as legally binding as a signature, without having the tiniest clue what was in it?

Or signed a stack of forms when you bought a car or a house, based on a one sentence explanation of each form, and an x where you are supposed to sign?

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: June 05, 2023 12:27AM

I try very hard not to ever do that. I irritate people and read through page by page. Date and initial every page

The worse thing I signed was something my dishonest psychopath

brother wrote and I regret it to this day. he made me think I was

re--signing something I had already signed years ago. Always look in the middle. I learned a hard lesson I don't intend to repeat, but even then papers can be replaced by a copy and copies are so good these days, it is easy to interchange them.

Medicare wanted me to sign a humongous document I didn't understand. The lady on the phone didn't understand it either. I told her to call me back when she figured it out. boy was she mad! but that's her job. Maybe I should get a unique colored stamp that can't be duplicated for when I sign something.

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: June 05, 2023 10:03PM

RICO prosecution to get those at the top, all the way down the line.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: June 05, 2023 11:19PM

The church always points to the importance of witnesses to the gold plates and B of M and proof that the church is true. "No one would put their name on something saying that they had seen something when they hadn't," they say.

And here we are. People who signed something when they probably knew very little about it because someone told them to.

Date: June 06, 2023 12:45AM

They read it with their spiritual eyes.

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: June 06, 2023 04:36PM

It's perfectly legal to create shell companies. If the government were to try to prosecute, they would have to prove that the creators (signers) knew those companies were created with intent to defraud the U.S. Treasury. Very steep climb to do that.

Posted by: Boyd KKK ( )
Date: June 06, 2023 06:28PM

Yep, 13 of them. All approved by top leadership. Enough to get a good fine.

Prosecution for ongoing racketeering would make it so top leaders could be subpoened to testify.

Would be worth it.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: June 06, 2023 06:35PM

None of what the church did meets the legal definition of racketeering.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.