Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: george ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 10:34PM

Webelos, the very worst calling I ever held in half a century of membership in the LDS church. I never had an assistant, I had 13 boys, from a low income area. I suffered through it for two years.
I never accepted another scouting position. I still have nightmares.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:37AM

One of the HUGE problems with Mormonism is you don't get to choose where you serve so as often as not, your heart really isn't in your calling. Often your heart is just filled with pride that you are doing your duty with a heart full of song.

I liked doing Cub Scouts and I like doing Girl Scouts with my daughter. If I could have chosen somewhere to volunteer in Mormonism, Scouts would definitely been one of the top choices. But that is just ME. And I don't like how people get so wound up about scouting it's like a second religion to them. But I enjoy working in the program.

Did anyone else notice this woman was very careful to say she pulled her daughters out of Girl Scouts when they got old enough for "Primary Achievement Days activities at church"? Why? Achievement Days are WAY inferior to the Girl Scouting program and unless there is a scheduling conflict, girls can do both. If Ms. Duce is the GS leader, she can choose a day for her GS meetings that doesn't conflict with the church activities. Mentioning that she took her daughters out of Girl Scouts when they got old enough for the church program is a blatant suck-up to the leaders and very unfair to her little girls, who were cheated of being in the superior program so that the mom looked good to the neighbors.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:54AM

cagirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>Achievement
> Days are WAY inferior to the Girl Scouting program
> and unless there is a scheduling conflict, girls
> can do both.

You said it, cagirl. My girls always did both and they said they got so much more out of GS than they ever did out of the YW brainwash. GS were focused on careers, exploration, camping skills, and FUN! No dress codes for camp, and no talking to ten-year-olds about eternal marriage. I never understood how the boys got to have both, but GS were ignored because "they have Young Women, what do they need it for?" Bah.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 03:54AM

About the girl scouts compared to the boyscouts. Why doesnt the lds church promote GS. Yes the lds girls have YW but the boys have their YM and they do more sports. This would NOT be sexism would it? Na........

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 10:21AM

In Girl Scouts you learn leadership, women and careers, computers, independence, thinking skills i.e. not things that lead to the kind of doormat women that Mormon leaders prefer. For example, my daughter has earned her Mathematics badge and Career Exploration badge. That is the reason it's so superior to Achievement Days, where the planned activities for this fall include tithing, Scripture Stories and a service project of making Christmas cards for the missionaries. There are some things that overlap. Activity Days has some cooking activities and Girl Scouts can earn a cooking badge but part of the GS requirements are to learn about careers in cooking and do a service project involving cooking and learn about new cooking technology that is being developed. The planned Activity Days class is to make different kinds of muffins. It would be fun to learn about muffins, if DD attended Activity Days but you can see it's all geared toward making a compliant, believing LDS homemaker and Girl Scouts is about making strong, independent, thinking women.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 03:50AM

Oh my gosh yes!! My now 10 year old son was with the lds group for a year and it was very hit and miss. Very unorginazed. At each pack meeting my son would not get his awards. After I stopped attending church the scout troop totally ignored and shunned him. I pulled him and he is now in a "regular" scout group with friends from his school. 1000 times better.

Posted by: loves kids ( )
Date: September 18, 2010 01:19AM

Just one more thing...I have 7 daughters. None of them did GS because it's like you don't go into Christian Bookstores as a mormon because it's off limits. The whold time my oldest son was working his butt off in scouts and got his Eagle at 15,all my girls were NOT in GS. I often wanted to sign them up but felt conflict. My yougest daughter is 7 and I am finding her a troop on Monday!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.