Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: joheem ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 06:49PM

Ridiculous

Welcome to Mormon.org chat.
A representative will be with you shortly.
Agent [Sagan] is ready to assist you.
Sagan: hi, how are you today?
Agent [Deserie] has joined the chat.
Me: Good. I basically just have one question. So do Mormons really believe that human life started in Missouri?
Deserie: We believe that Adam and Ever were the first man and women on the Earth...
Sagan: Are you very familiar with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?
Me: That's impossible though.
Deserie: What's impossible?
Me: It's impossible for there to have been one first male and female homo sapiens like that, especially as written in the biblical narrative. We know that our species developed gradually. This is an untenable position. How will anyone ever take you seriously?
Me: Couldn't the Adam and Eve story be symbolic, not scientific?
Sagan: Well, as you explore the website you will better understand our basic beliefs. One of the most important being that God is our loving Heavenly Father and that he created all of us and sent us to the earth.
Me: That doesn't answer my question.
Me: I mean... even if you have 1000 true beliefs, and 1 untrue belief... shouldn't that 1 untrue belief matter? Why would you even believe such a thing?
Sagan: Well Joe, we believe that God created Adam and Eve and that we are all his children. these are things I know to be true and it has blessed my life. but you are free to have your own beliefs and we hope you continue to view the website.
Me: I really really care about the truth though... a lot. If I believed something that went against the evidence, that would be unsettling to me.
Me: You seem to just not want to talk about it. To pretend like the evidence isn't there. Isn't that the kind of thing that made Joseph Smith question the churches of his time?
Sagan: Its not that we dont want to talk about it....j
Sagan: we have several chats going on at one time...
Sagan: and our purpose here as missionaries is to share our basic beliefs with those who are sincere and want to know more.
Me: aka... those who agree with you so far?
Me: there's a big difference between wanting to know and agreeing.
Me: I want to know as much as I can.
Sagan: For those who are sincerely seeking to know more so they can apply it to their lives.
Me: But why would you apply it to your life if it isn't true?
Me: I mean... if you're just talking about the ethical principles of the religion... not drinking, not participating in extramarital sex... etc... I think you can make a case for those and "applying it to your life"... but there seems to be this dedication among Mormons to their church as a source of truth as well and that seems to be a big part of practicing the faith.
Me: And if even one of those beliefs is scientifically proven wrong, shouldn't that be an issue?
Deserie: Joe, we can see that you are not interested in knowing more about what we truly believe as the basics of our religion... so we would advise you to continue looking on the website! Thank you for your time! and we hope that you have a great day!
Me: Creepy
Agent [Deserie] has left the chat.
The chat session has ended.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 21, 2010 07:33PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.