Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 02, 2010 03:37PM

thanks to kath on the exmormon yahoo group for this one.
there's a new book out by daymon m smith, a phd anthropologist who writes about his experiences working at the COB:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1451553706?tag=puremo-20&camp=213761&creative=393545&linkCode=bpl&creativeASIN=1451553706&adid=03BQEEPV1575ZNMMBMD5&;

here's a great review with some interesting excerpts about how the COB does business:
http://puremormonism.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-corporatism-has-undermined-and.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: November 02, 2010 03:54PM

Very Interesting.... and even disturbing about the MORG.

Does anyone here remember or participate in the Family To Family Program involving handing out book of mormons sometime mid orlate eighties I think.

Then check out the puremormonism blogspot article.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2010 03:56PM by zeezrom.

Date: November 02, 2010 04:19PM

yeah i remember the program.

i love what the blog author writes about it:
"
Our family participated in the program, and I remember thinking at the time how inspired it was. But the Family to Family program wasn't inspired from on high in the way I was conditioned to think these things occurred. The idea had come because the Church needed to rid itself of a bunch of unwanted inventory, and some mid-level employee came up with a way to do it while making a buck off the membership.

It was a brilliant con. *****I had paid for the printing of those books originally when I sent in my tithing money. Now the Church got me to pay again to buy them back. Somebody at the Church Office Building was patting himself on the back.*****
"

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: November 02, 2010 04:03PM

Wow. Wow. Wow. This is fascinating. I remember taking a family picture to put in all the Book of Mormon's my parents bought. Nice to know it was for a good cause.

I may just spring to buy this book. Thanks for sharing Nick Humphrey. :)

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: November 02, 2010 04:04PM

I even ordered the book :)

Date: November 02, 2010 04:12PM

yeah i ate that whole blog right up! lots of interesting facts!
and i LOVE that jesus picture in a business suit! that is TOO good =)

Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: November 02, 2010 04:34PM

The comments were interesting too.

Now... I really need to go get some work done!!!!

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: November 02, 2010 05:30PM

I've read the book and recommend it. It is a thick read, though. I normally read very quickly, but to really appreciate this one, you'll need to go slowly. Lots of big words and deep thoughts to contemplate while reading it.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 02, 2010 06:21PM

It never ever ceases to amaze me just how deep the deception runs.

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 08:21AM

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 08:49AM

Nick Humphrey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks to kath on the exmormon yahoo group for
> this one.
> there's a new book out by daymon m smith, a phd
> anthropologist who writes about his experiences
> working at the COB:
> ...
>
> here's a great review with some interesting
> excerpts about how the COB does business:
> ...

What a coincidence. Am just reading this now, links sent to me via FB through an Exmo. Thanks for posting this and saving me the time. LOL

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 09:05AM

Madder than the realization that the profits from your invested tithing is being used to develop a shopping mall (where alcohol and Coffee will be sold), a residential complex for wealthy people and some office buildings?

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 09:12AM

"The Mormon people, you see, had untapped value: a sense of community, a uniquely productive work ethic, and best of all, a built-in propensity to be obedient to authorities.

These Mormons were made to order. The Mormon leaders offered up the future tithes of the Mormon people as guarantees against THEIR investments. The members of what used to be The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints would be unwitting cash cows for the benefit of their leaders. And the leaders of what used to be that church were now climbing into bed with the whore of Babylon."

Amen, and amen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 09:14AM by charles, buddhist punk.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 10:18AM

That blog was great. He just has to be a closet exmo. How could you write such things and believe!?!? The rest of his blog seems pretty clear that he's "trying" to believe still ... but I just don't get.

Denial, I guess is a very powerful thing. I laugh and cry at the same time reading what is on his blog.

Posted by: OpenYourMouth ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 10:19AM

I think this blog is great.

For those interested, John Dehlin interviewed the author of this book. You can find it over on Mormon Stories, episodes 149-152.

My favorite part of the interview is when the author talks about the idea that "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints" is just a trademark, a logo if you will.

Very interesting indeeed!

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 10:36AM

This article illustrates why the church has leaders with backgrounds in business and law. No theologians, no philosophers, no one with a religious studies education.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 10:50AM

"....There is a sense of pride among bishops and stake presidents who send fast offerings from their units to the general Church.”

Is this correct? I always thought that fast offerings stayed with the ward?

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 11:01AM

When I was ward clerk a few years back, all of the fast offering money was held at the ward and what we didn't use, the surplus was sent to the Stake. Whatever surplus fast offering funds they had left was sent on to the church.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 11:50AM

This was an amazing blog to read, and I will definitely be checking out the book.

I thought that the comments were a great read too. I guess it showed me how much "recovery" I have actually gone through. Many of those posters were very intelligent people who feel incredibly marginalized but still cling so strongly to the central myth.

So much of that anxiety, work, and mental gymnastics just dissapate when you look at all of these "problems" with the "church" and just say:

Wow! It's just not "true." They are just an organization who claims to be of god with inspired prophets, but instead are just a bunch of guys who are running an organization just like everyone else and anything else on the planet.

No magic.

Guess I can wake up to reality and think for myself.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 12:45PM

Excellent link! Thank you.

Alan Rock Waterman writes rather entertainingly.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 06:44PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.