Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 06:05PM

"I think gay marriage is wrong, it say so right in the bible"

Can we please seperate Church and State??????

I am so tired of the stupid people believing the bible is the word of God, it's not it was written by men. There is no great wisdom or enlightenment to be had.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 06:13PM

"I didn't come from no monkey."

Yes.

People that believe in evolution are stupid.

Sigh.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 10:32PM

"I didn't come from no monkey."

When I hear that one, I respond with:

'Yes, you probably came from a jackass'.

;-)

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 11:19PM

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 09:50AM

LOL! I should have.

My husband and I just started laughing. Loudly. We couldn't help it; it was the most idiotic thing we'd ever heard. She gave us the evil-eye.

Posted by: blindmag ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 11:14AM

I tend to use an old line from a song I cant remember it now...

God made man but he used a monky to do it, God made man and i'm here to proove it, I can talk like an ape walk like an ape do what monkys do, god made man but the monky supplied the glue.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 09:47AM

actually homo(pun intended) sapiens do NOT come from monkeys.... we(humans) have a common ancestor that humans and APES came from... :)... but the OP said he/she overheard gay marriage was in the Bible..... anghhhh wrong answer.. what book and verse please! :)

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 10:19AM

gay marriage has been on this board for years... and many a person has stated their opinions and views... not one ...imho... has come up with even 1 reason for denying the "benefits" of marriage to people of the same sex who want a marriage!

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 11:01AM

So, no, we didn't come from apes. We're in the same family as they are.

Posted by: Snow ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 06:44PM

I'm so sorry, but the Separation of Church and State has absolutely NOTHING to do with someone saying the word "bible", or speaking their opinion on a social topic in public (including at your job). You might want to read up on the subject.

And you're so tired of people having a different belief than yours? Guess you'd better publish a list of your beliefs and opinions for the rest of the world to memorize and adhere to or you'll be incredibly annoyed for the rest of your life.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 06:49PM

Posted by: j ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 09:47PM

IMO it is the word of God. It may not be popular with you, but it doesn't change that. It also doesn't change the fact that God loves homosexuals just as much as anyone including religious zealots, and Mother Theresa. You see it might be their interpretation of it that is wrong.

Jesus didn't exclude people, and the Bible was written by men but God had a hand in it too. Jesus didn't come to condemn people, he came to heal them from the sometimes crappy human condition all of us must face. Jesus didn't go around excluding people, he hung out with the sinners, prostitutes, outcasts, adulterers,drunkards and you can guarantee that crowd included homosexuals too.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 01:02AM

I'd say it doesn't have anything to do with the issue. In fact, the Bible isn't grounds for any of our secular laws, even if many of them line up with Biblical suggestions for good behavior. The separation of church and state means -- we don't care what your religious lines have to say about homosexual marriage, or eating shrimp, or wearing a cotton/polyester blend -- we aren't going to make laws based on it.

Simple, right?

Posted by: Res Ipsa Loquitur ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 09:53PM

Separation of church and state has EVERYTHING to do with this debate. The argument for banning gay marriage is almost exclusively made from a religious standpoint. There are very few policy reasons to prohibit it, only moral ones, as defined by a three thousand year old desert religion. If religious considerations were taken out of the equation, gay marriage would have been allowed long, long ago. And for that matter, slavery would have been abolished centuries earlier, and women would have had the franchise prior to the twentieth century.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 09:57PM

Res Ipsa Loquitur Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Separation of church and state has EVERYTHING to
> do with this debate. The argument for banning gay
> marriage is almost exclusively made from a
> religious standpoint. There are very few policy
> reasons to prohibit it, only moral ones, as
> defined by a three thousand year old desert
> religion. If religious considerations were taken
> out of the equation, gay marriage would have been
> allowed long, long ago. And for that matter,
> slavery would have been abolished centuries
> earlier, and women would have had the franchise
> prior to the twentieth century.

You are right if she is talking about legislating the issue. However, the same Constitution which provides for separation of church and state also allows free speech-even stupid free speech.The lady gets to hold any opinion she likes even if it is dumb. Free thought and speech is allowed

Posted by: Res Ipsa Loquitur ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 10:07PM

Unquestionably you're right. Freedom of speech is by far a paramount value. I'm only talking about the legislative problem.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 10:47PM

But still, never mind, eh?

Date: November 03, 2010 09:50PM

I too get tired of people wwho don't agree with me on politics, religion, movies, and on and on, but it is part of life and has nothing to do with the separation of church and state.Ignore them and carry on with your life.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 10:12PM

I've never been called brillant,but neither have I ever been called stupid. Please don't call me stupid just because I believe in God and read the Bible. It's got me through the hell of the past 15 months,when at times I had NO one else to talk to. It comforted me and kept me sane enough to continue raising my 2 kids and be a good mom. When you have so many against you,it's nice to feel someone cares.

Date: November 04, 2010 01:04AM

Date: November 04, 2010 01:13AM

"I am so tired of stupid people that believe the bible is the word of god..." by They don't want me back. I know he wasn't saying to me personally "loveskids I think you are stupid for believing the bible is the word of god..." but it was still very offensive. I know I need to get a thicker skin,but today has been a sh--y day.

Date: November 04, 2010 01:16AM

No, you aren't "stupid" to believe in the Bible. I don't believe in it but I have friends who are Christians and do. When I was a Christian I found a lot of comfort in the Bible.

(Although, I'll admit that I questioned a great many interpretations of the Bible, from treatment of homosexuals to the concept of Hell.)

Date: November 04, 2010 02:55AM

Thanks Rebeckah. I do NOT agree with most Christians about gays and that they should NOT be allowed to marry.That's just ignorance and "God said so" And thats as far as they go. Just like the mormons.

Date: November 03, 2010 10:19PM

I wasn't implying that people who believe are stupid. There e all types of believers and I have no problem with most of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 10:43PM by bona dea.

Posted by: barristiababe ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 11:04PM

Marriage its self is traditionally a religious institution, we as a historically religious based society have not recognized a proper family unit unless the couple has been married. No matter what country that has had religion (any religion) has been dominant in the forming of the country, that countries religions marriage laws have applied. A piece of paper given by the government or religious institution does not make any relationship any more special to the people involved, it just was and is a way of making a relationship “acceptable” to society and once upon a time to transfer the owership of the female from her father to her husband.
In the eyes of God all "sins" are just as bad no matter what they are weather they be homosexuality, lust, swearing, or even judging somebody else!
People’s "sins" are nobody's business but their own.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 11:14PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 11:16PM by Tiff.

Date: November 03, 2010 11:16PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2010 11:17PM by Tiff.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 11:06PM

Shouldn't eat bacon. Says so right in the Bible.

Date: November 03, 2010 11:18PM

But the instant they try to legislate their idea of morality on the country based on nothing but a religious belief, I have a problem.

And honestly, I'm always a bit bothered by people who say that the Bible says homosexuality is wrong. Honestly, its mentioned about three times and in all three cases can be interpreted in a manner that negates it.

Date: November 03, 2010 11:20PM

Tiff Wrote:
> But the instant they try to legislate their idea
> of morality on the country based on nothing but a
> religious belief, I have a problem.
>
> And honestly, I'm always a bit bothered by people
> who say that the Bible says homosexuality is
> wrong. Honestly, its mentioned about three times
> and in all three cases can be interpreted in a
> manner that negates it.

ANd Jesus considered homosexuality so important that he mentioned it not once.

Date: November 03, 2010 11:31PM

In Leviticus homosexuality is mentioned in the same sections as the other "old" laws that Jesus supposedly fulfilled.

When Paul talks of homosexuality, he talks about the wickedness of pagan temple ceremonies. (Homosexuality wasn't the problem, the pagan rituals were.)

Sodom and Gommorah is about rape, not homosexuality.

And Jesus only preached love. He never preached denying rights to groups of people. In fact, he didn't talk about homosexuality at all. You are absolutely right Bona Dea.

Date: November 03, 2010 11:33PM

Tiff Wrote:
> In Leviticus homosexuality is mentioned in the
> same sections as the other "old" laws that Jesus
> supposedly fulfilled.
>
> When Paul talks of homosexuality, he talks about
> the wickedness of pagan temple ceremonies.
> (Homosexuality wasn't the problem, the pagan
> rituals were.)
>
> Sodom and Gommorah is about rape, not
> homosexuality.
>
> And Jesus only preached love. He never preached
> denying rights to groups of people. In fact, he
> didn't talk about homosexuality at all. You are
> absolutely right Bona Dea.

Also, homosexuality in the ancient world usually involved and older man and a prepubescent boy. That well may have been what Paul was talking about. At any rate, Paul didn't care much for sex of any kind.

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 11:23PM

Perhaps YOU haven't gotten anything out of it. That's fine.

Some of us DO believe it to be God's Word.

And we still do have freedom of religion and free speech in this country in case you aren't aware!

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 03, 2010 11:39PM

When Marvin Mitchell was representing clients with his made up theory of "palimony", it occured to me that the legal rational for marriage has mainly to do with property, inheritance, children, custody. The religious aspects are optional and unnecessary and matter only to religious people.

Without recognition by the State of the legality of marriage, our courts ought not have to deal with the tangle of complications of inheritance, custody of children, and property division in the case of divorce. None of those issues need involve religion.

It is for that reason that I find opposition to same-sex marriage indefensible and unreasonable. If people feel homosexuality is a moral issue, then they should join a church that marries only heterosexuals. But the legal status granted to marriage partners by the state must be equal regardless of one's gender identity.

Date: November 03, 2010 11:42PM

I have yet to hear a single, legitimate argument against gay marriage not founded in religion or morality, neither of which should be involved in legislation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.