Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 10:53AM

(I didn't want to hijack Nick Humphrey's thread on non-Mormon art ...
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,26770
... so I'm starting a new one.)

Surefire way to frustrate and anger TBMs:

Ask them why their depiction of the "Second Coming" contains neither a hint of dark skin nor a strand of non-blond hair:

http://lds.org/library/display/0,4945,8555-1-4779-4,00.html
(Scroll down to the very last image on the page. You can even download a nice, high-resolution version, if you're willing to so pollute your hard drive.)

Ask them if this is what the Book of Mormon means when it refers to "white/pure and delightsome."

Ask them if this is their idea of heaven, and (if they're white) whether they are excited about the idea of not having to "put up" with other ethnicities or "minorities" once they've made it "through the veil."

Ask them why the "cast" of their Second Coming looks a lot like the casts of the lineup of 1950's television sitcoms.

Ask them why Jesus and his holy angels aren't wearing their armbands today.

Ask them when and where the next KKK rally is and, indeed, if the big "KKK" himself will be speaking on the "evils of miscegeny."

Ask them why the skin tone in the above image matches the skin tone in this image:

http://www.ldschurchnews.com/articles/53469/The-Quorum-of-the-Twelve-Apostles.html

Tell them that they seem like such nice, good, friendly people ... but ask them how, if they are NOT racists, they can remain members, in good conscience, of a racist organization. : (

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2010 06:49PM by Fetal Deity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: beautiful_restitution (not logged in) ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 11:28AM

...that their dark skin will become white and delightsome? On the surface it may LOOK like a racist photo, but it really isn't--all the darkies have just been magically transformed!

<sarcasm warning>

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 12:32PM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 12:45PM

"The attitude of the church regarding Negroes remains as it has always stood.

It is not the matter of a declaration of policy but of direct commandment from the Lord, on which is founded the doctrine of the church from the days of its organization, to the effect that negroes may become members of the church but that they are not entitled to the Priesthood at the present time.

The prophets of the Lord have made several statements as to the operations of the principle. President Brigham Young said: "Why a skin of blackness? It comes as a consequence of their fathers rejecting the power of the holy priesthood, and the law of God. They will go down to death. And when all the other children have recieved their blessings in the holy priesthood, then their curse will be removed from the seed of Cain, and they will come up and posess the priesthood, and recieve all the blessings which we are now entitled to."

President Wilford Woodruff made the following statement: "The day will come when all that race will be redeemed and recieve all of the blessings which we now have."

The doctrine of the church regarding the negro may be understood when another doctrine of the church is kept in mind, namely,that the conduct of the spirits in the preexistence has some effect upon the conditions and circumstances under which these spirits take on mortality, and while the details of this principle have not been made known, the principle itself indicates that the coming to this earth and taking on mortality is a priviledge that is given to those that maintained their first estate; and the worth of the priviledge is so great that spirits are willing to come to earth and take on bodies no matter what the handicap may be as to the kind of bodies they are to secure; and that among the handicaps, failure of the right to enjoy in mortality the blessings of the priesthood, is a handicap which spirits are willing to assume in order that they might come to earth.

Under this principle there is no injustice whatsoever involved in the deprivation as to the holding of the priesthood by the negroes.

Why the Negro was denied the priesthood from the days of Adam to our day is not known. The few facts from our pre-earth life and our entrance into mortality must be taken into account in any attempt at an explanation.

1. Not all intelligences reached the same degree of attainment in the pre-earth life.

2. Man will be punished for his own sins and not for Adams transgression. If this is carried further, it would imply that the Negro is punished or allotted to a certain position on this earth, not because of Cains transgression, but came to earth through the loins of Cain because of his failure to achieve stature in the spirit world.

3. All spirits are born innocent into this world.(D&C 93:38)

4. The Negro was a follower of Jehovah in the Pre-earth life. (There were no neutrals)
------------

To reiterate the point-

and the worth of the priviledge is so great that spirits are willing to come to earth and take on bodies no matter what the handicap may be as to the kind of bodies they are to secure

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 12:51PM

"founded the doctrine of the church from the days of its organization, to the effect that negroes may become members of the church but that they are not entitled to the Priesthood at the present time."

Joseph Smith did not say any such thing and did ordain Negroes.

However-
Perhaps since Brigham did require all members to be rebaptized and entirely new teachings were brought forth, the Utah church certainly would be considered a completely new organization.

Date: November 04, 2010 01:37PM

"Never heard of him!" ; )

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 11:39AM

Brigham did what?
All members re-baptized?

Is that fact?

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 01:45PM

How was their hair so neat? Why doesn't Adam have a beard and why doesn't Eve have leg hairs?

Date: November 04, 2010 02:31PM

Are those KNEES? LOL!

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 05:27PM

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 06:14PM

You must download it and view in the upper left hand corner - there I am, both hands high up in the air giving a double bird!

Date: November 04, 2010 11:59PM

I thought maybe you were doing "the wave." Thanks for setting me straight! ; )

Posted by: Druid ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 06:36PM

When I was on my mission the branch president had three high school age daughters. One of them asked me if it was true she would have to have white skin in the next life.

I was very aware she could not have had better skin and so I told her I thought we would all have our choice.

Wonder why the church doesn't push that angle?

"God is only white because it was his favorite color, but some days he is green."

Green and delightsome.....

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 06:38PM

is the thief on the cross...I'm wondering what the message is there
http://lds.org/gospellibrary/artbook/images/ArtBook__057_057__TheCrucifixion_Sm___.jpg

Date: November 04, 2010 08:15PM

The poster said he remembered a Mormon "Second Coming" painting from his childhood (maybe the 60's or 70's) where there actually WERE dark-skinned people depicted ... but they were all on "the left hand" of Jesus in various states of agony and self-loathing!

Does the Mormon church consider the "new and improved" image to be PROGRESS?!?! Before, they judged dark skin as a sign of wickedness ... now, they simply choose to ignore it! Very telling, indeed.

Posted by: chiefluma ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 05:29AM

I have that painting sitting in my den right now, lol maybe I will put it up on the wall again lol, NOT! I just don't know what to do with it now.

I don't think the Church will ever change on this issue, and very sad indeed... Yes they choose to ignore it more and more.

GA's are old and still old fashion and still leaving in the 1950's........ I have many friends who left the church on this topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2010 05:30AM by chiefluma.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.