Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 03:04PM

In 35 years, she threw out nothing. A couple of curios she acquired were two BoMs. One is from 1963, the David McKay edition. The other is from 1976.

Interesting thing about the bicentennial edition, its cover is gold with reformed Egyptian writing on it.

Both of them include extensive sections about MezoAmerica with photos of Mayan ruins and artifacts, and even photos of Machu Picchu. Clearly at the time of publication, the marments were pushing the theory that all this stuff took place south of the border, except for those photos of the Hill Cumorah near Manchester, NY.

I am happy to forward these important pieces of archeological evidence to anyone on this board who can put them to good use.

Oh, can someone point me to the White and Delightsome phrase?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 03:12PM

Try 2 Nephi 30:6. Previously was white and delightsome. Now pure and delightsome. Hmmm... God just can't seem to make up his mind.

Posted by: WinksWinks nli ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 05:24PM

Wow! Is that the one with photos of South American drawings of people doing things that supposedly match up with stuff in the BOM?

I would pay you some money for those and get them scanned and photographed and posted online for everybody to see. The pictures are out there but hard to find.

Date: November 04, 2010 05:41PM

yep yep yep

"Egyptian-like murals found on temple walls in Mexico"

"ancient copper and bronze tools dated from the Book of Marment period"

"Gold plates from Peru fastened together with gold rings. Ancient Americans were skilled craftsman in gold and precious metals"

And there it is on 2 Nephi 30:6 "they shall be a white and delightsome people"

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 05:45PM

My ex has one of the ones with the gold cover and "drawings" on it--he got it on his mission (not sure where).

My brother found one from the 1940s in my parents' downstairs recently, but I haven't looked through it.

I think I have my ex's gold one in my cedar chest.

I've never checked either for white and delightsome. I'll have to.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 06:21PM

when The Boyz say, "I don't know that we taught that."

Good grief, these people just made the pieces fit the puzzle, and the whole friggin puzzle was made up!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2010 06:22PM by FreeRose.

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 06:30PM

After all, TSCC is now mostly growing in Latin America and Africa, so if any of you find old BOMs in Spanish, Portuguese (Brazil!) or French, NEVER throw them away!

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 07:14PM

I've said this numerous times, but I'll say it again: There needs to be an exmormon library, a place that collects old stuff where people can come study and compare and contrast. Honestly, if I had the money, I'd rent a small store front or office space and do it myself. This stuff needs to be preserved! A central location (Jackson County?) would be ideal.

Scooter, please keep those things safe or send them to someone who will if you don't want to be bothered.

Date: November 04, 2010 07:30PM

kinda said in my OP I am willing to pass them on to the best repository where they will serve the greatest good.

Have zero interest in Danites busting down my door in the middle of the night.

Talk amongst yourselves.

Oh, and Stanley's BBQ in Tyler is better than yours.

Just sayin'

Posted by: BestBBQ ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 10:39PM

Excuse me, Mr. Scooter person, but Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City, Kansas is the best BBQ on the face of the earth! You can tell this "Stanley" person in "Tyler" ("Tyler"? Why not "Kevin" or "Jason"?) that he's sorely lacking. So there. Harumph! ::Marches off to get burnt ends. Realizes Joe's is closed. Vows to get burnt ends on Saturday to spite Scooter and "Stanley."::

I also have zero interest in busting Danites and there still needs to be a lie-berry. :)

Date: November 05, 2010 10:43AM

Everything's up to date in Kansas City. Including the Q. Must be your proximity to Eden.

But seriously, comparing it to East Texas BBQ.

Two words.

Rank amateur.

Three more.

Chicken fried steak.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 07:45PM

and I'm sure they have a hard cover collection of older BOMs too. The Exmormon Foundation needs "tasks" as they say in training for sustained and successful activism. Wouldn't it be great if they could fundraise for an Exmormon Historical Library? We could all reroute our former tithing....(hah)

Anagrammy

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 07:46PM

IN Central America, of course.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 09:22PM

has those pictures of Machu Pichu and all that plus a bunch of Arnold Friberg homo-erotic stuff. Well I've been told it's erotic though I find the women in the pictures to be kinda plain. Come to think of it I can only think of one of those pictures that even has a woman in them.

It even has key scriptures highlighted with red pencil for scripture chases!

It's a big blue book. About a foot tall and 4 inches wide. Weighs a ton. While I recommend the BOM as the ideal bedtime reading "chloroform in print" this one is too heavy and would probably suffocated any one foolish enough to try and read it in bed.

Such a shame cuz I hate sleeping with my head on my desk. But that's what I remember about that year in seminary. Oh yeah and highlighting scriptures. I apparently did a lot of that.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 10:57PM

I suspect it is an art form completely wasted on you.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.