Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 08:20PM

A well known pastry chef and his partner of 30 yrs just won the biggest lotto jackpot in British Columbia history, $50M. They were the leading news story earlier this week after winning last weekend's draw and then taking a few days to come forward. "We needed a break" said the winner. Uh yeah, who couldn't use a $50M break?

The subtext for me was that the gay couple presented themselves to the Lottery Corporation as the big winners, shared their bios, got their photos taken with all the big-wigs, just as with all winners, and appeared on TV news as the feature story, and it _wasn't_ about them being gay. It was just like they were, uh, a _normal_ couple or something! I'm the one mentioning it but it was just a non-event, other than being called "partners", but it wasn't like the Lotto execs or the TV news guy only wanted to photograph one of the men or didn't want to mention that they were partners. It was like that part of their lives was so accepted that it wasn't even mentioned. Kind of like a Nirvana situation when it comes to the issue of gay couples. I thought it was great. Also nice that they needed the money and can put it to good use. (Who couldn't use the odd extra million or so?)

The chef's boss and other workmates said it truly couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I can't begrudge him his vacation in the sun even though I thought it was _my_ turn for some good luck!

As for the mention of God in my sub line: He didn't really do it. I don't think He likes gambling (does He?) I just said that to make myself laugh.

http://www.theprovince.com/Winners+quit+jobs+plan+first+vacation/3768223/story.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: D the non-teligious ( )
Date: November 04, 2010 09:02PM

for the simple fact that there are a ton of religions and it all seems like a giant game of Russian roulette. Chose a faith and pull the trigger.
Of, course this is coming from an atheist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.