Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: idahotortfeasor ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 01:17PM

My parents are currently serving their 3rd mission. This mission is in Palmyra. For the past year, we've received emails every 3 or 4 days about various facts on Palmyra, Cumorah, etc. They send them out to all the family, including us. We know much of their emails are focused on my wife and I, since we are ex-mormons. They hope to somehow convince us to come back with their reports on church history.

I normally just ignore what they say, because I've heard it all before, and there isn't any reason I need to get into it with them.

But, their latest email bugged me enough, that I had to respond. Here is the relevant portion of their email:

" We want to share some information I have found. I have been reading in various places how the Book of Mormon was translated and sometimes these stories vary. All start with Joseph Smith using the Urim and Thummim. Oliver Cowdery was told he could also translate and he did so with the Urim and Thummim. He did do a little translating before he got scared, sort of like Peter walking on the water, getting scared and starting to sink, and calling on Christ to help him. Oliver was then told he was to continue helping Joseph as a scribe, and not to translate for awhile.

Then comes the story of the seer stone which was supposed to have been put in a hat which showed the various characters and their word-for-word translation and even correct spellings given.

There have been many ideas given as to what is correct, and finally I found one writing that did what I often say is necessary to do - go to the original source. When we do, we find that Joseph and Oliver and Emma Smith who had direct involvement with the translating say that Joseph used the Urim and Thummim. Joseph said that it is not necessary for man to know exactly how the translation took place, but that it was of God.

The only original place that comes up with the seer stone in a hat is from David Whitmer. David Whitmer left the Church. He never denied his testimony of seeing the golden plates presented by the Angel Moroni. He testified of that often through his life and on his death bed. However, he did feel that though Joseph was a prophet at one time, that he had fallen.
David wanted things to be exact. When Joseph translated, the characters came as thoughts, not exactly word for word as David wanted to have happened.

David had an interview with one newsman and told him Joseph used the Urim and Thummim. Later, David told that reporter that Joseph had used a seer stone. The reporter wrote that he remembered clearly that David had said Urim and Thummim.

If David had been present at any time of the translation, he might have seen Joseph using a hat because Joseph's brother William said that sometimes Joseph would wear a hat to protect his eyes from outside glare. This was changed by David to having Joseph put his head in a hat to translate. I think we can therefore realize when we read something about a seer stone used in the translation, that we can realize it came from an apostate who wanted to change the character of how the Book of Mormon was translated, and dismiss it. The Urim and Thummim, an ancient interpreter, was used.

The Urim and Thummim was first called an "interpreter" until it was realized that an interpreter of a very similar making was used by the prophets in the Bible and they called it a Urim and Thummim.

The Book of Mormon really is a second witness that Jesus Christ is our Savior; and the Book of Mormon is written about in the Bible. You probably already know the chapters and verses, but if not let us know and we'll send them on."

I love the part how my mom states that "we can realize it came from apostate" of why the seer stone theory exists.

I wrote one scathing email first, but decided not to send it. Then I wrote a very sarcastic one, but decided not to send that one. Finally, I wrote back:

"It's been a long time since I've responded to your attempts to defend your faith, but when you get something absolutely wrong, I need to correct you, so you don't embarrass yourself later on. Go to the LDS source on this:

http://en.fairmormon.org/Joseph_Smith/Seer_stones

So, please forward this link to everyone you sent the email to. They need to know it wasn't "an apostate" that started the rock in the hat rumor. But, I'll let the FAIR article speak for itself."

I just kept it short and sweet. By the way, if you haven't read that FAIR article, its great. Its rare I say a FAIR article is great, but this one actually is.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: govinda ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 01:44PM

Excellent response to your TBM parents!

Good job.

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 01:54PM

I've learned to (usually) do that and save myself the embarassment of feeling I've been sucked into their level.

Posted by: Alan ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 01:56PM

Great job! I know it's hard not to lash out at a stupid email like that. I thought your email was firm, but relatively polite. I'm sure it will be much more effective than an angry or sarcastic email (though probably not as satisfying for you).

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 02:33PM

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 02:46PM

Special high-grade ore that enabled Joe to see into the earth like an Xray....thats why he began his career as a treasure finder.

Unfortunetly, exposure to that much radiation on a regular basis cooked his cranium and he thought he could speak to spirits and translate from invisible gold plates.

Other writers speculate that other side effects were delusions of grandier and a serious case of Satyrisis.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 03:07PM

Don't forget about:

Ensign » 1993 » July
A Treasured Testament

By Elder Russell M. Nelson
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

Russell M. Nelson, “A Treasured Testament,” Ensign, Jul 1993, 61

Adapted from an address given 25 June 1992 at a seminar for new mission presidents, Missionary Training Center, Provo, Utah.

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=05169209df38b010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 03:27PM

It's the hardest thing not to respond sarcastically to emails like that. I do it anyway, of course. But I think that was a nice response that hopefully won't upset them.

BTW, I learned in a BYU religion class about Smith using the peep stone in the hat to translate the Book of Mormon.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 22, 2010 05:18PM

Using a seerstone was the second most evil antimormon lie. And using the same arguments as your parents, I felt that I defending the prophet and the church from those evil and vicious lies.

All I can do now is point at myuself in the mitrror and snicker.

Posted by: SpongeBob SquareGarments ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 01:06PM

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 01:47PM

That Brant Gardner (the mop who wrote the FAIRy articles on the stone-hat tricks that Joe turned) is still a Mo after all the complete BS he has had to write to dodge the truth about ole joe.

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 06:12PM

According to Grant Palmer in the Mormon story podcast interview— not that TBMs would take his word for it. I'll have to pull put the book and see if I can document them all.

David Whitmer is not the only one to claim this. Emma Smith, Oliver Cowdery, William Smith, Martin Harris and Joseph Knight Sr. did as well. Issac Hale, Joseph's FIL, said specifically he didn't believe the Gold Plates story because Joseph was using the same method as he used treasure digging:

""The manner in which he pretended to read and interpret, was the same as when he looked for the money-diggers, with a stone in his hat, and his hat over his face, while the Book of Plates were at the same time hid in the woods."

I find it funny that your parents diss David Whitmer for thinking Joseph was a fallen prophet. Many of the key players in early Mormonism though that at one point or another. Some came back. Others did not. Regardless these people were around when this stuff went down and knew the deal. Unlike peeps like BY that showed up later.

It appears that the terms interpreters and seer stone were interchangeable from various accounts.

"The translation of the Book of Mormon by means of the "Interpreters" and "Seer Stone," was not merely a mechanical process, but required the utmost concentration of mental and spiritual force possessed by the prophet..." (Young Men's Manual, 1903-4, p. 69)

Even Maxwell Inst/FARMS admits that the Bom was at least mostly translated by the seer stone— likely the one found while digging the Chase well.

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/transcripts/?id=10

Sorry I get carried away. I'm sure you have already shared all this with your parents. In the end they will be probably only believe what they want to believe— so good luck.

Posted by: Dave in Hollywood ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 08:02PM

I'm pretty sure I read about it in the Autobiography of Lucy Mack Smith or Joseph Smith According to Me or whatever it's called. I trust a Mom's word more than, well, Joseph's.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.