Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Searching27 ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 08:07AM

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2010/11/colt-david-hansen-clash-with-mormon-faith-leads-to-another-lgbt-suicide-in-utah/

The obituary is just sad and rude to his memory. Even in his death his family cannot accept him and see where they are wrong.

So blinded by such a harmful religion their son is just another baptism for the dead for them I am sure.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 08:53AM

I've been emotional as all of these suicides have come to light, but this one really hit hard. The arrogant disrespect of memorializing a man as a member of a faith he didn't hold (and which rejected him fundamentally) is deeply offensive. I can't imagine how messed up his family life was if they can't even manage to respect him in death.

Mormonism isn't some harmless do-good religion of gentle morons. It hurts people.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 11:06PM

"Yes but good Mormons aren't supposed to act like that. They are supposed to love one another and not judge." The problem with that is it lets the church off the hook. The church that produces such unloving, critical, hurtful judgmental reactions in it's membership. Mormons act like that because they CAN - their church allows it and secretly encourages it. It's disgraceful. The church should answer for the sort of people they actually turn out...not the sort of people they "should" turn out.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 09:20AM

It's sick. Even in death his parents are still trying to control him. They will speak of him at his funeral like he was a completely different person--a total fantasy.

He looks from the picture like he was a nice young man. I hope his friends have their own memorial gathering and find a way to honor his life, his real life. He deserves no less.

Boyd KKK added fuel to the fire of parental disapproval and coercion at the recent conference. Parents must learn to appreciate their children for who they are, and to respect their adult choices, i.e. to no longer be a mormon.

May your memory be a blessing, Colt David Hansen.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 10:27AM

"Yes, 'n' how many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?"

Amen, Bob Dylan

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 10:35AM

Two handsome young men so miserable that they took their own lives because some selfish, arrogant religious-based corporation simply won't accept them for reasons unknown.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 10:59AM

And loving parents? I think not!

What a shame. If there were a god (which I don't believe there is) and if there were a loving older brother Jesus (which I don't believe either) they would be severely displeased with his parents for their lack of love and respect for their son.

What a bunch of selfish, shameless hypocrites.

So sad.

TG

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 01:28PM

My exact thoughts too Tahoe Girl.

Peacefully? Really?

"For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, '[what] it might have been' " -John Greenleaf Whittier

How much better it could have been if his obituary read:-

Colt Hanson beloved husband of George died peacefully after a long life......

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 11:10AM

What horrible people his family are!

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 11:20AM

Trying desperately to save the church reputation.

Excuse me, I'm going to be sick.

Posted by: OnceMored ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 11:28AM

The comments from church members will damage any hope you may have harbored for reasonableness on the part of the LDS machine.

Example:
"Eris's comment are 100% accurate. Well done! The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is NOT a hate filled religious institution. The work we do in the world and the love and sacrifice of our members all over the world is a testament to our love for ALL of God's children, regardless of religious differences, political differences, etc. The moral standards of our religion are just that - standards. They are not meant for interpretation or to bend to the winds of social or political machinations. The LDS Church is under no obligation (except Heaven's) to promote standards we as Latter-Day Saints believe are divine in their very nature and are the guiding principles for God's children here on earth - period! The Church is not here to marginalize or alter the revealed value system we hold dear.

"We are under solemn obligations to love and respect ALL of God's children. In that context, that means those in our sphere's of influence AND the complete stranger. That does NOT mean that we bend God's Laws and Principles because some of those who are in our sphere of influence choose a different way in this life for whatever reasons they feel the way they do - whether it be nature or nurture! Eris's comment merely states Commandments and Principles that are required to be adhered to by BOTH Heterosexuals and those who espouse Homosexual feelings. That is they are to be celibate and remain celibate as long as they are unmarried in the manner and pattern according to God's own Laws and Commandments from the beginning!"

-------
"revealed value system" my a$$ -- And it doesn't make those so-called values any better when you capitalize them. A "Commandment" based on misunderstanding, and on hatred, doesn't gain more credibility just by virtue of an initial capital letter, nor by virtue of the imprimatur of a bunch of clueless, doddering, doofus-headed old men.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 12:45PM

Boyd KKK got his message across, loud and clear

BTW, anyone can post a comment. I did.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 12:58PM by dr5.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 01:42PM

I couldn't read the mormon responses (including the one listed above). Like angsty said--this is heartbreaking.

Posted by: The StalkerDog™ ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 01:57PM

should paint little figures of dead people on the side of every temple... you know, like in war they paint little planes on the sides of fighter planes showing how many they have taken down in battle.

It shouldn't be a battle... but it is.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 04:12PM

It really bothers me that I have become numb to reading individual accounts like this. Don't get me wrong, the issue of gay suicide makes me incredibly angry. That said, I have been dealing with this issue for decades. I have read so many individual accounts like this that individual accounts have all blended together. I read it and think, didn't I read this a last week, or last month or was it last year? With minor variation, the same story has been repeated countless times. How many times can someone reread the same story? I have read so many stories so similar that, without checking the date of the article, I couldn't tell you if I had read about this particular case or not.

This really bothers me. Maybe I have gotten so angry so many times over individual accounts that I have worn out my anger. Maybe there is so much anger over the whole issue of gay suicide that it drowns out any emotions coming from reading an individual account. Maybe I have become like a coroner who has seen so many dead bodies that the site of a dead body does not affect him any more.

I do know that there has been too much and it needs to stop somehow.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 07:09AM

They banned his friends from the funeral? That's not nice. In fact, that's wicked.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 09:03AM

i like(NOT) how they want any donations to be directed to the Missionary fund..... he did not go on a mission....and they want the donations in lieu of flowers to go to an institution he didnt agree with.... yeah thats a caring family!! also does the Ten Commandments say anything about sex or marriage or anything like that??? if not... where do they get the Commandment part from? what commandment are you breaking if you were born gay?? sheesh!! religious people can be SO judgmental!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.