Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: wonderer ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 11:47AM

this post is inspired by the "Real Purpose of the Mission" thread.

During my mission, one perceptive member declared matter-of-factly that the reason the church promotes large families is to promote its own growth.

I was shocked by his cynicism! Why, I thought, the church encourages large families so that all those spirits waiting in preexistence can come down to earth. That's what they tell us.

I feel so stupid that I didn't wake up earlier.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 12:02PM

We begin to feel like our kids somehow need us to be in it and we need the structure. Makes it harder to leave.

Unless of course we manage to think, "holy crap, I don't want to raise my kids to be guilt ridden by a pack of lies!"

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 12:05PM

Yes, when I first heard about all these spirits up in heaven begging to come down to earth and that the MOrmons truly believed this I figured it had to be drilled into their heads from toddlerhod. That is such a dumb thing.

One of the bigwigs on the BYU channel stated one day a couple yrs. ago that he and his wife stood on the balcony of their home one day and looked up at the sky....they both had a revelation that a spirit was asking them to bring it down to earth. So the woman at that moment knew she must have another child. And she did and they felt so "blessed". I nearly threw up!!!

Posted by: Elise ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 12:31PM

I can't help thinking perhaps that's a euphemism for "we wanted to have sex". And of course, sex is for procreation only, so want for sex translates to want for baby. (Sigh)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 12:05PM

Mormonism was founded during agrarian times. Back then, more children meant more laborers, which meant you could work more land, which meant more crops/livestock, which meant more income. Kids = wealth, or at least a greater chance at it.

Then in the industrial age, you could send your kids off to work in the factories. Kids were still financial assets.

But since the advent of child labor laws, children have become financial drains (unless your kid is a performer). But Mormonism is stuck in the old child labor value system of large families. The members, though, have been more guided by economic realities, though.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2010 12:12PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 01:02PM

Everyone knows the numbers are faked as to actual members. In developed countries, the only converts they get are mostly the mentally ill, and those that think they can get a hand-out from the Cult. Very rarely do they get a convert that is actually of value to them [BIG salary and pays tithing.] In underdeveloped countries, most "members" soon leave, and those that remain probably contribute little in the way of tithing (actual dollars). With the Internet, there is no hope of any "REAL" growth through converts.

The Cult needs to have the present real members replace themselves through having kids, just to maintain the actual number of "real" members. Considering those that die young, those that never marry, those that marry and don't have kids, and the big one: THOSE THAT LEAVE; the Cult needs every couple to have at least 4-6 kids just to maintain their actual number of tithe payers.

That's why the Cult is so big on the Mallstrocity and other real estate developments. It is first and foremost a corporation. As the present and following generations have better access to the TRUTH about the Cult, the "real" membership of tithe payers will probably level off somewhere around 1 million, which will probably hold steady.

For the Corporation to survive in its present form (masquerading as a church), it needs some members to which to sell its garbage that noone else will buy:
1. Mormon literature
2. "Church" magazines
3. Underwear
4. Tapes
5. Mormon rings, knick-knacks, paintings, posters, screen savers, etc.

The Corporation is investing heavily in other sources of income, so that even if tomorrow there were zero members, and they had to quit producing all their Mormon clutter above, they could survive as a "real" business (having to pay taxes as such), and the 15 would be the official board of directors, which is what they are in actuality now.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 01:21PM

Humanity is a K-selected species, with exceptions such as mormons, who think being an r-selected species will better adapt and flourish.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.