Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 02:47PM

I've been doing housecleaning today and I decided to tackle the dreaded task of paring down my library again, something I haven't done in a few years.

I still have books floating around that fit my past worldview, but no longer are what I believe. (And not just Mormon books either, although we can focus on those to stay on topic.)

So my question is: what do you do with such books - sell, donate, toss, recycle?

I was ready to start posting them to Amazon, and I started getting second thoughts - especially when the books themselves weren't going to sell for a whole lot there anyway.

Tyson

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 03:16PM

sell, donate, recycle...... don't toss them out for trash, that's wasteful.

incidentally
I have a Pro-creationist book called 'A Matter of Days' signed by Phil Plait (TV personality & astronomer)
If anyone wants it, and wants to pay postage from London, UK... it's yours

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 03:24PM

and let the readers decide what they want and need.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 04:06PM

What to do with old books when there's no longer room for them...hmmmm....terrible situation.

If you still have room for them and merely disagree with them then by all means keep them. There are far worse things to say about a book than that you disagree with them.

But if it's room you're after then take the least pleasing books to a used book dealer and trade them. Don't sell them because you will only get 10 cents on the dollar if you are lucky. If you trade them you should get a two for one deal. This way you aren't parting with old books, you are adding new ones. Instead of culling your collection you are cultivating your collection. This way of thinking takes the sting out of losing old books, which can feel like losing a part of yourself.

Posted by: D. Lamb ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 05:14PM

I sold 2 boxes of mormon books on craigslist for about $75. Damn that felt good!

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 05:16PM

Wow I didn't think anybody would pay money. Most of what I've got laying around is such mindless drivel I think it best that I chuck them or maybe get credit at a used book dealer.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 06:24PM

We sold all our mormon books at a used book store in SLC in the 1990s. We got a large sum of money for them.

I see it this way--if some mormon is buying my used book, then the authors aren't making any money off of selling a new book.

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 06:45PM

I'd sell them too, I really reject the idea of throwing away books, even if I disagree with every sentence in them. Cl2 and Cheryl make good points. Let other people decide what to read or not, and the authors already got their money when they sold it to you in the first place. Atleast you're preventing them to make a few more bucks.

Assuming it's mormon books it's a damn shame that there seems to be so many people willing to buy trash and baloney, but it ain't gonna change anytime soon and you might aswell let them. Hopefully some outrageous stupidity in these books will encounter a functional mind and wake him/her up to reality too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.