Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 10:35PM

OK, as we get used to the new board, how about a place where we can share some of the tips and tricks that we find? I think it could help us all adapt a bit faster. Here are a couple that I have notices:

1: On the old board, you had to do a search on a username to find all the posts by that person. Now, some of the names (I think its those that are logged in) while in a tread (not the thread list), you can click on the screen name then click on "Show all posts"

2: We no longer have to add N/T when we post a message without any text, it is done automatically.

3: Reporting abuse can be done by using the "Report" button. Be sure use the report button on the message you want to report as abusive.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 10:41PM by mj.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 16, 2010 10:44PM

After you edit one of your messages, the board will append the message with something like "Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 10:41PM by mj." It would still might be nice to add the word "Edited" to the subject line, but I like that the fact that it shows a message has been edited is a nice feature.

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 10:28AM

I re-registered last night using my nick all in lower case. Later in the evening, I discovered how to change my screen name to include its two customary upper case characters (spelling did not change, only capitalization.

This morning, I viewed a post from yesterday and tried to edit it on a test basis, just to see if the edit function worked. I was not able to edit. MJ has already posted that if you change your screen name, you can't edit posts made prior to the change of screen name. So it would make sense that I was unable to edit.

Question: I post on another board (not related to religion) where there are several features for editing:

1. May edit on an unrestricted basis for thirty minutes (to correct spelling/grammar errors, add afterthoughts, etc.)

2. May edit after thirty minutes but up to several hours later (I think six hours), but at this point an "edited at TT:TT on MM-DD-YYYY" tag appears to show that it was edited beyond thirty minutes.

3. Above the six hour limit, you can no longer edit.

Is there a time limit for editing if screen name stays the same?

Date: September 17, 2010 11:19AM

When you start using a screen name, you can no longer edit posts done using only your user name.

Date: September 17, 2010 12:54AM

But yea need to be registered and logged in to use this.

To get messages listed in the expand all format:

Log in and navigate to the thread list (you can't be reading a thread to set this)

Near the top right hand corner pf the page, click on "Control Center"

On the left side under "Options" click on "Forum Settings".

Set "Message reading display options" to "Multiple messages per page, threaded".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 12:55AM by mj.

Posted by: SilkRose ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:58AM

Forum Settings

Language: DefaultEnglish (American)
Message list display options: DefaultAll messages in a topic, threadedOne entry per topic
Message reading display options: DefaultOne message per page with threaded listMultiple messages per page sorted by timeMultiple messages per page, threaded
Which follow-topic options should be selected by default?: NoYes
*Required Items

Posted by: elcharanguista ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 11:38AM

I really think you guys need to figure out a way to let unregistered posters have access to the "expand" function.

Tons of people find this place and cutting off one of the most important functions from new visitors is a huge minus. Is there a way this function can be given "to the masses"?

Also, is there a way to reply to a post and have it open a separate window so that you can still see the previous post (like in the old board)? Thanks!

Date: September 17, 2010 01:12AM

NOTE: I can only find one way to get to the "Forum list" URL, I'll submit it as a bug.

If you want to mark every message in the form as read go to the message list and click on "Search"

On the search page is the only place I know of where the "Forum List" URL shows and the only way of getting to that page works for this (will add to bug list)

Click on "Forum Lists"

You should get the URL "Mark Forum Read" which you can click and mark the whole forum as read.

Getting to that page vi a book mark or via the URL at the main page does not work.

Date: September 17, 2010 06:01AM

Date: September 17, 2010 05:53AM

Date: September 17, 2010 05:59AM

We can now use a screen name that is different from our user name. This is done in the control panel under edit profile.

Be warned, once you start using a screen name, you can not edit posts done while you were not using the screen name.

Posted by: TechAdmin1 ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 06:02AM

MJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Be warned, once you start using a screen name, you
> can not edit posts done while you were not using
> the screen name.

thanks for that, i'll add it to the sticky =)

Posted by: Jenny-not logged in ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 11:31AM

I've gone to the forum Main Page here: http://exmormon.org/, and can't find "Control panel" or "Edit Profile" (or "Control" or "Edit") anywhere. Where EXACTLY can we edit our profile? I'm not able to log in on this site because it says my username or password is inactive or in use by someone else (me, I guess).

Just a hump I know I'll get over...thanks for any specifics, links are even better.

Date: September 17, 2010 11:34AM

Scroll the screen up to the top, then click on "Message List"

The URL "Control Center" will in the menu list at the top of the Message List page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 11:36AM by MJ.

Posted by: Jenny-not logged in ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 02:34PM

Copied and pasted the links in the toolbar:

Main page • Forum List • Guidelines • Glossary and Abbreviations • Archives :: New Topic•Search•Log In

Does one of these link to the Control Center?

Date: September 17, 2010 03:52PM

If ya are not logged in, you don't get that functionality.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.