Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 09:51PM

I went to a local hot springs today (I'm on a business trip) and while lounging by the pool, I chatted with a grandma who was there with her grandkids.

Early on she revealed to me she was a JW. She witnessed to me from the Bible a few times. I was not in the mood to argue with her so I listened politely.

She knew I was a Mormon and at one point made some comment about how a cult (alluding to LDS no doubt) is easy to get into, but hard to get out of. She was saying this to show how JWs were not a cult (e.g., hard to get in and easy to get out). Anyway, didn't buy her argument; I did not have a burning in my bosom that I should convert to JW.

On a related topic -- floating in the hot springs was a spiritual experience; not only did I feel a burning in my bosom -- I felt a burning all over! I'm much happier now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 10:09PM

Actually, I have found that it is difficult to get in, and easy to get out (aka disappear), at least relative to mormonism. And while they keep some records, they are nowhere near as anal as mormons are. However.... they have some other very cultish things that don't get them off the hook.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: November 06, 2010 11:00PM

I was never approached in a proselytizing way; they were very nice. I was already an "inactive" Mormon at the time with no intention of returning.

Since I knew little about JWs, I looked up their beliefs on the Internet, mainly because I didn't want to say anything offensive to my nice neighbors out of ignorance. (For example, I did not realize that they do not celebrate holidays such as Christmas.) As I read about JWs' weird beliefs, I understood more clearly how very weird Mormon beliefs are as well.

They are BOTH cults!

And, good people get duped into both of them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.