Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Changed Man ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 09:47AM

A few days ago while reading the BoM, DW was reading about King Lamoni meeting his father, and Ammon protecting King Lamoni. I normally ignore her while she's reading, but I just happened to look over and see where she was. I asked her what she was reading. She told me. I said, "Where were the father's bodyguards? I would think the king of the whole land would have a bodyguard or two." She said that maybe times were different then. Then she read more and said, "They were riding on chariots, with horses." We've had the discussion about horses not being in the Americas before, so I'm sure that was rolling around in her head, but I didn't want to rub it in. That was the end of that conversation.

Yesterday in SM, they read the statement about the church not endorsing or condoning self-help groups, and DW leaned over and said, "I wonder what's going on in Utah." Then they went on to read that the church disapproves of engaging in questioning, thinking for yourself, etc, and DW was just shaking her head. I leaned over and whispered, "No thinking or questioning allowed!" She kind of had a shocked look on her face before I even said it, and afterward she got mad at the intrusiveness and weird controlling stuff. She doesn't like to be told what to do, and this was just one more weight on her shelf.

She's a fiercly loyal person to the things she loves, and I really have to admire her for holding on as long as she has. Lately she has told me that she's LDS, but not Mormon. The Mormon culture and weirdness is very distasteful to her, but she still believes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 10:11AM

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 10:46AM

Changed Man Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then they went on to
> read that the church disapproves of engaging in
> questioning, thinking for yourself, etc

What is this about? They read a statement from SLC saying that the church disapproves of questioning?

What were the exact words of that statement? Who signed it--1st presidency?

I'd like to get a copy of that...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 10:55AM

My TBM daughter hates the culture in Utah, too--and she is headed to Tennessee to live with a friend in January and then back to Alaska. My therapist has said, "She hasn't put 2 and 2 together yet?" (He is an exmormon.)

I'm sure that bit about "questioning and not thinking for yourself" hit her hard if she heard it yesterday. She isn't as fiercely loyal as she was when she first went back 4-1/2 years ago . . .

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.