Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 10:39PM

That's right. Last Sunday I attended a Stake Conference where the SP asked for homes to take in the missionaries. The only requirement is you can't have any teenage girls living there. I guess the church is so broke they are now not only getting rid of cars, but now missionary housing. Since me and my wife have no children (not yet), I already recieved a phone call...haha

I've been waiting SO long to post this.

FYI: This happened in a North Las Vegas Stake Conference and was said to be for the greater Las Vegas area. I wonder how many more locations this will come to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 10:59PM by silhouette.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 10:43PM

Woo boy, is THIS gonna open up a can of worms. I personally know of at least two missionaries who had relationships with not-so-young MARRIED women in the area where they were assigned. They're afraid of teenage girls, but do they realize how dangerous MILFs can be? LOLOL!!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 10:46PM

debbiepa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Woo boy, is THIS gonna open up a can of worms. I
> personally know of at least two missionaries who
> had relationships with not-so-young MARRIED women
> in the area where they were assigned. They're
> afraid of teenage girls, but do they realize how
> dangerous MILFs can be? LOLOL!!

You said milfs.

<butthead snicker>

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 06:37AM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 08:21PM

debbiepa Wrote:
> Woo boy, is THIS gonna open up a can of worms. I
> personally know of at least two missionaries who
> had relationships with not-so-young MARRIED women
> in the area where they were assigned. They're
> afraid of teenage girls, but do they realize how
> dangerous MILFs can be? LOLOL!!

Not to mention missionaries who might be gay or child molesters or have a thing for animals...

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 08:26PM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 08:44PM

The church reveals it's narrow vision when it thinks teenage girls are the only potential problem. I mean, hasn't The Lord clued them in on all the possibilities? (Oh, silly me, for thinking the brethren are inspired.) Of course, if they ruled out all possible problems, there would be no one left to house the missionaries.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 10:48PM

All the rules set up recently for housing missionaries just went out the window! The church needs to stop sending out so many missionaries if they can't house them properly in their own apt.

Date: September 16, 2010 10:56PM

I sent you a email about this in the outage.. (sorry... my crack/forum addiction forced me to!)

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 02:11AM

You sent it to me :)

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 11:16PM

Will they be paying some rent? In these times, people are supposed to take on two more bodies in their homes for FREE?

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 11:24PM

I am sure the church would prefer it to be free. They are probably offering some very small amount of money like $100/mo. What I want to know is if the amount of $ the parents are paying will also go down or is the savings going directly to the church?

Posted by: TechAdmin1 ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 06:56AM

helemon Wrote:
> I am sure the church would prefer it to be free.
> They are probably offering some very small amount
> of money like $100/mo. What I want to know is if
> the amount of $ the parents are paying will also
> go down or is the savings going directly to the
> church?

good question! somebody find an answer to that!

Date: September 16, 2010 11:30PM

From what they said, minor help with the utilities and food (being that the members already feed them).

So we are supposed to...

-Feed them
-Give them rides
-House them
-Preach with them (splits)

Yeah, no.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: September 16, 2010 11:36PM

Gee, maybe the missionaries will have to return to the old idea of traveling "without purse or script," as taught in the early days of the restoration. Maybe sleeping in barns, chopping wood for breakfast, etc., will be the norm.

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 06:43AM

Will they be able to do "chores" while in someone's home? Mow lawns, take out the trash? Or are they absolved of all extraneous non-missionary duties?

P.S. Welcome back, everyone!

Date: September 17, 2010 01:16AM

My cousin keeps mishes at his place.

His dw said they get $75. I asked if that was each and all I got was a dirty look for an answer.

She then went on to say that getting that was like pulling teeth cause cuz is too humble to dun the sp who doles out the do re mi.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 01:41AM

Anyone with missionaries in the field? How much do you send to the church each month? Is there any evidence of money getting skimmed off the top? What about the MP homes? Are they living in more modest homes too, or are they still living in half million + homes with swimming pools?

Posted by: PtLoma ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 07:29AM

I believe it's in the neighborhood of $400/month.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 03:17PM

Shummy Wrote:
> My cousin keeps mishes at his place.
>
> His dw said they get $75. I asked if that was each
> and all I got was a dirty look for an answer.

I assume they're paying a full tithe on that...

Date: September 17, 2010 06:21PM

foggy Wrote:

>
> I assume they're paying a full tithe on that...

If I know cuz, you can bet your holy underwear he does, down to the very last farthing.

Posted by: george ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 01:19AM

I housed missionaries for years. Back then they paid $150.00 each.
I was a single dad, with three nearly grown sons. They had a car,
so it was a nice experience. I met a lot of Utah/Idaho hicks.

Posted by: excultmember ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 02:08AM

It's just sickening how WEALTHY the LDS church is, yet they are such SCROOGES with their tithe paying members. Not only are they the only church that requires its members to "donate" 10% of their earnings to the church, but they ALSO tell them to pay for fast offerings, their kids's missions, Prop 8, new temples, and so on. They then have the gall to go have gall to build a $4 BILLION mall while only giving back to the wards only a few thousand dollars a year for their budget. On top of that they keep finding other ways to penny pinch by turning their followers into free (slave) labor by making them "volunteer" for EVERYTHING including janitorial work and NOW housing the missionaries!

UNBELEIVABLE!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: TechAdmin1 ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 07:03AM

excultmember Wrote:
> UNBELEIVABLE!!!!!!!!!

yet so many still believe it =) very well summed up, i'm tempted to use your whole post as my facebook status! lol =)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 07:04AM by Nick Humphrey.

Posted by: govinda ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 08:17AM

You know, your post got me to thinking. At this point, even if I thought the church was somewhat true, I would be totally inactive.

Who wants to clean toilets, do slave labor, house and feed the missionaries and watch the old codgers at the top invest your hard earned money in real estate?

Posted by: excultmember ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 10:20PM

Thanks. Go for it!

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 08:57AM

Any (male) missionaries are welcome to stay chez moi.... even just for a day or two. But they have to be eligible for Chad's missionary calendar! :-)

Posted by: the guy who got screwed ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 12:54PM

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 02:31PM

It would be interesting to know how many missionaries will be housed by Thomas Monson or any of the 'Apostles'?

Posted by: persephene ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 03:07PM

I would love to send my parents a copy of this request along with some of the news coverage of the mall.

Posted by: Lily ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 03:09PM

Maybe I'm alone in this theory, but isn't this another way to keep a close eye on the mishies?

I mean, it is possible that two comps could lie for each other and cover for each other- but if you're a guest in someone's home there are more eyes around to watch your comings and goings.

We all know TSCC has no shortage of money. I vote for controlling.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 04:17PM

Whats the monthly amount paid to the church to keep a missionary out in the "field"? $400 or something like that, right?
So if members are taking missionaries in for the cheap, what is the church doing with that money?
City Creek Mall anyone?

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 17, 2010 08:08PM

They were in front of an apartment building, sitting on the stairs talking to some kids. It would be easy enough to see if they were living there and if they were, it would be even easier to drop faith-disrupting info on their doorstep in the middle of the night. Maybe this keeps the missionaries wrapped in "righteousness and/or ignorance with the members to protect them. All I know is if this had been the norm in my mission, I would have had to go home. It was so stressful having a comp in my face all the time and even dinners with members were a trial. I had to put on my best missionary face and could never relax, until we got back to the apartment. I felt like even during a short dinner or on Sunday we were constantly being judged. If I had to live with a member family I would never have gotten a break and I probably would have had serious PTSD by the end of my mission.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.