Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 05:19PM

I can't imagine going through what she did.

Mitchell's wife, Wanda Barzee, washed her feet and had her put on a robe.

-Smart said Mitchell entered the tent wearing a similar robe and married them by pulling a sentence from the traditional Mormon marriage ceremony, called a sealing.

"He said, 'What I seal on this earth will be sealed to me in the hereafter and I take you to be my wife,'" she said, adding that she screamed and he threatened to put duct tape across her mouth.

"He proceeded to fight me to the ground and force the robes up," Smart said quietly, pausing, "where he raped me."

"I begged him not to. I did everything I could to stop him. I pleaded with him not to touch me, but it didn't work."

Mitchell chained her to a table, making it impossible for her to flee, she said. -

I hope he rots in prison for a long, long time.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40074400/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/?GT1=43001

TG

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 05:22PM

Why would a loving Heavenly Father do that to someone?

Just wonderin'...

Ron

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 05:39PM

ExMormonRon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why would a loving Heavenly Father do that to
> someone?
>
> Just wonderin'...
>
> Ron

I wish I could follow Packer around and ask him that question every single time I hear a story about the suffering our loving heavenly father requires so many of us to endure. He'll rape and kill children, but he'd never allow anyone to be born gay. What a douche.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 11:22AM

What, exactly, did this loving heavenly father DO?

I see no actions from the man upstairs. It's all Mitchell. God has nothing whatsoever to do with this situation.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 11:29AM

When Packer said that homosexuality is a choice because Heavenly Father would never do that to someone. They edited that comment out because they realized that people could make connections to other things, like this, with that statement.

i.e.

"Heavenly Father would never allow a woman to be raped."
"Heavenly Father would never allow a child to be born with a disability."

Etc

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 10:28PM

And if Elizabeth's parents were wearing the magic underwear and paying tithing and doing their callings, how could their family member suffer so. Why would God choose her to be raped???? Throw that out when Mormons go on and on about that protective underwear!! Mormons are liars. Bad things can happen to anyone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2010 10:34PM by honestone.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 05:23PM

This Mitchell individual is one sick freak.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 07:11PM

I would invite everyone to a publick dick execution. I'd sever his dick and feed a pack of hungry dogs, let him watch dogs fighting over his dick & let him bleed for a while.

Posted by: newtothis ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 07:13PM

They do that exactly in Hostel 2. Hurts me just thinking about it..

Posted by: rwg ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 11:54PM

No, no, no, no.... not that! Not by itself. Have his balls severed and fed to some chickens or pigs or whatever. THAT would be better, don't you think? Sever by letting the animals do it while we laugh at him and hit him every time he howls with pain.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 06:21PM

And then let starving animals eat them.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 07:20PM

Can't you all see that he's mentally sick? It comes from being a Stake High Council member.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 07:38PM

He was insane and mentally ill. I would rather the juror considers him to be sane, calculating, and manipulative, and sentences him accordingly. If they decide he is mentally ill, he just spends the rest of his life in mental institutions, which as a sane, calculating, manipulative person in the mold of Joe Smith, he would prefer.

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 08:40PM

It's an excuse not a reason. Mitchell did what he wanted to do.
He is trying to mitigate his consequences by the insanity defense. I hope he gets maximum consequences.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 08:22PM

I have occasionally stopped to give money to panhandlers on the streets of Salt Lake when I was alone or with other adults.
I would never stop and engage a weirdo stranger on the street if I had my little children with me.
The reason this explaination bugs me so much is that sometime after the abduction one of the Salt Lake News Stations reported that a handyman had worked for the Smarts and this set up had been through the LDS church social work services; as when the church finds work for members out of work.
I never heard this reported again, which made me question if I heard it correctly. But it did make more sense to me than an alone TBM mom with her children just stopping on a downtown street asking some stranger if he wanted to come to their house and do some handywork. How many TBM mormon mothers would do this? Most TBM moms would cross the street so they wouldn't have to get too close.
I would like to know exactly where this encounter happened and why Lois felt like doing something pretty unusual.

Posted by: Nita ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 07:48PM

The other day I googled "polygamy, youtube", finding tons of "survivor" stories. In some the victims complained that the mainstream LDS church doesn't do much to aid those who have escaped. I was suprised by a clip of Elizabeth's father, where he said: "But we do want to help". I wondered if that was before or after the kidnapping.
Well, I'm gald she survived and I hope the church realises the "fruits" of JS and the damage D&C 132 has been done to so many people.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 08:00PM

I wonder if Elizabeth Smart's dad's quote was from Banking On Heaven... I have that DVD, which is about polygamy, and he was interviewed for it. I don't remember everything he said, but I do recall that he said something about his ancestors being polygamists and how he turned out okay.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 07:48PM

I'm not sure in which video I heard Smart saying this. I haven't watched the whole movie "Lifting the Veil of Polygamy, which is on youtube. It's very long, but I be sure to watch it.

Posted by: perceptual ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 08:14PM

Elizabeth Smart's Heavenly Father didn't do this to her, David Mitchell did.

Frankly pedophiles should have one of their nuts chopped off on a first offense, the other one chopped off on a second offense, and their heads chopped off on a third.

David Mitchell sounds totally crazy and like a bad person, but I've heard that someone who knew him personally said that he's been doing crazy stuff for a long time, and he knows exactly what he's doing.

I'm really not sure what Mormonism has to do with anything that happened to Elizabeth Mitchell, as it sounds like she did all the right things (except maybe try to escape, but she's justified in caring more about how her family would feel if she was killed), and I've heard some crazy things said about her, such as someone thinking her father paid David Mitchell to abduct her to bring attention to the church. I told this person that was crazy and asked if he was serious, and he said, "Yah! Of course!". This kind of thinking is so cynical and illogical that it's actually harmful to the cause of finding the truth in the church and in your own life. It seems to be more prevalent in things not only related to the church but to things in real life (politics, for instance), so we need to keep our heads when it comes to controversial things like this. While we've discovered the pitfalls of going too far one way here, we should also be aware of the pitfalls of going too far the other way.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 10:03AM

Had Joseph Smith not invented mormonism, the saints would have never been persecuted (so-called) or made the trek to Utah. The MMM would have never occured, polygamous splinter groups would have never come about, the Hoffman murders don't happen and so-on. It should also be noted that entire lines of geneology would not exist which lessens to an imeasurable degree the possibility that Smart or Mitchell would ever be born, much less cross paths.

I always find it comical when folks suggest god likewise bears no responsibility in these matters. God created this mess for reasons unknown. You can bet your a** he's responsible.

If he exists, that is.

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 10:06AM by Timothy.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 08:55PM

She is the epitome of a survivor! More power to her!
Kidnapped at gunpoint in the middle of the night and raped and tortured, and held as a hostage is no easy experience to survive but she's doing it with grace and dignity!!!

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 09:30PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd sure as hell do as I was told with a knife threatening me!!
I wonder if people know what it's like to be awakened in your sleep and threatened. I doubt it happens often, but I'll bet everyone cooperates!
Playing insane is such a sick ploy for a pedophile!

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 12:26AM

When I was 19 I was moved out and attending jr college. My roommate was mormon we went to church dances but I was starting to fade away from sunday meetings. One night I heard a loud noise that woke me from sleeping. I got out of bed to find out what the commotion was only to stumble over a kitchen chair that was in front of my door.

My roommate was on the phone and at first I am a little annoyed why she was being so loud in the middle of the night. Then I realized she was talking to 911. The patio door was left unlocked. A masked intruder with a knife had violated our home, entered her room and attempted to rape her. She had flesh wounds on her back and chest from where the blade was held to her. She was sleeping on her stomach and awoke to a man on top of her. He demanded she turn over and as she did she drew her legs up to her chest and threw him off. My name is Jo and she screamed my name as she flung him against the bedroom wall. That was what woke me up. We figure my androgynous first name scared off the would be rapist.

We were a few years older than Elizabeth. Just wanted to suggest you don't have to be cooperative. I have had a couple of other experiences but this was the closest to the Smart case. I do know when I was a child I was confused by whether to obey grown ups as I was taught or to resist. I resisted. ES is lucky to be alive. I don't wish to suggest she should have done anything different because things turned out better than loss of life. Just from personal experience it pays to keep a clear head and grab any oportunity to make a get away.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 04:52PM

How scary! So glad nothing worse happened to you and your roommate!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 09:17AM

Thankfully, you're here with us.

Posted by: Nina ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 05:30PM

The first time I realised she was sexually assaulted was, when I read her bishop declared her being declared 'sexually pure" despite what happened to her. Duh? I also recalled that insulting statement of 'better to be dead than having ones innocence robbed. What if that happened to his wive/daughter/sister. I hope she reads that book and her brains kick in about that part.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 07:24PM

The rotten filthy... words fail me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.