Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 07:40AM

Come on! If they believe in golden plates, angels with flaming swords, polygamist prophets who prey on minor children, dead dunking in holy buildings, and magical underwear, they have to be delusional.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 07:46AM

I think people are capable of believing pretty much anything - saying you believe something doesn't make it true.

In a court of law can the prosecution make a case out of just saying the believe someone is guilty or do they have to back it up with reliable, testable evidence?

Even Christ had to prove himself by walking on water etc.

Personally, I believe I am right all the time - despite a plethora of contrary evidence!

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 01:28AM

I think mormons are just so busy being mormons they really don't stop and think about all the garbage they have been fed. At least that was my experience. That and raising a million kids doesn't leave you much time to do much thinking.

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 11:30AM

A contradictory set of characteristics in god, upon whom religion is based, sets up a complete system of delusion.

-all powerful
-all knowing
-all loving
-all righteous

But evil exists, which knocks at least one of the traits off the list.

And his "children" have agency. Which knocks another trait off the list.

That is, unless god is such a mystery and worker of mysterious miracles. Adding the magic to god allows for him to be all the above, evil to exist, man to have agency. It is just that his ways are higher than ours and we don't get it.

Delusional starts with god.

Posted by: Badger John ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 03:48PM

Jesus Smith, let me guess: I'd suppose you are another former maniacal RM/TBM with a tremendous testimony that spent several faithful years in the mormon church, and then spent 3 years "studying" your way out of it, after someone insulted you or criticized your lifestyle. And then you spent another 2 more years getting up the courage to actually leave.

And then 15 minutes after leaving you declared all belief in God as fantasy. And the irony is, after all of that you still have not resigned or told your mom that you don't believe in the prophet.

Good guess?

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 06:07PM

Knock it off. It wasn't funny, or even amusing, the first time, it isn't funny now.

The board is not designed for preaching. STOP.

Date: November 10, 2010 02:05AM

Ummmm Tiff, what makes you think I am trying to be funny?? And ummm, what makes you think I care what you think?

I did not know that you were in charge and there was a Tiff's rule: No preaching allowed, except, of course, for anti Christian rants? Have I missed something?

Besides, I thought you atheists were all hard boiled rationalists, but you seem to have very thin skin.

IMHO: You have a serious superiority complex, just like most mormons I know!

Earth to Tiff, get a life!

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 03:09AM

Read the rules. I have posted clear rules from the board. If you want to explain your experiences and point of view - great. But this board is not for preaching no matter who is doing the preaching.

Read the rules.

And thanks again for yet another personal attack.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 03:54AM by Tiff.

Date: November 10, 2010 07:58AM

you need to expect reminders from rule-abiding posters like Tiff.

If you don't like it, perhaps it might be a good idea to take her advice.

Teacher unions have nothing to do with RfM or this thread. You're expressing your bias as a personal attack on someone's profession, again because you won't follow the posting rules.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 08:41AM

This guy actually thinks he's found the real truth.

I wonder if he's even remotely considered that the vast majority here have already left that party.

Here's a clue, Johnny. If god wants me to know something, why does he channel that information through you? Seems to me that the message would be far more effective if it were hand delivered by its originator. I can't trust Joseph Smith, the pope or any of god's supposed "chosen" reps, but I can trust you because ...???

Your god is a fairy tale, Johnny. I swear to Buddha!

Timothy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2010 01:29PM by Timothy.

Date: November 10, 2010 08:49AM

Religious belief doesn't bother me unless or until it's shoved at me when I'm minding my business posting or otherwise living my life.

A guy at the mall did this to me day before yesterday and I had to get security to have a talk with him. I guess it still annoys me to think about it.

Date: November 10, 2010 05:32PM

You know who you are. Now try to figure out the order.

Seems to me that you are seeking to eliminate dissent rather enforce any rules. Who or what does that sound like?

Question: How are shrill screeds by self-described atheists not a form of preaching? I think you define preachig too narrowly.

Date: November 10, 2010 06:06PM

Dumb = John

Dumber = John

Dumbest = John

The Holy Trinity! ... You ARE one being comprised of three!

Thanks for playing!

Timothy

Date: November 10, 2010 06:18PM

WAAAAAHH! WAAAAAAHH!! WAAAAAHH!! (sniff)

Mommy, Timothy hurt my feelings. I'm telling the administrator on him!

Oh, never mind. He wasn't "preaching."

Date: November 10, 2010 10:01PM

It went something like this:

"NAME IT JOHNNYYYYYYYYY!"

Respect your elders, son. Don't talk to your daddy that way!

Timothy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2010 10:34AM by Timothy.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 10:14PM

Jesus Smith's comment stems from Epicurus:

“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

I'm pretty sure Epicurus wasn't a Mormon returned missionary. If you would stick to refuting the claims you'd garner more respect. The truth is, the definition of god as represented by most Christians is contradictory as Jesus Smith and Epicurus demonstrate.

Posted by: illusion ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 11:42AM

One man testimony: " this it the only reality, all the rest is illusion"
Possibly he lives in parallel Universe..

Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 11:50AM

No they are not delusional. In my experience I have noticed that most TBM's really do not know the problems with mormonism. They are being lied to just like I was lied to for 28 years of my life. Sure I heard of some of the problems but I always heard the aplogist responses that turned out to be lies as well. I really did not think I was delusional a year ago if I knew what I knew now I would have been out a long time ago.

Date: November 09, 2010 12:06PM

They absoluetely KNOW that the spirit directly talks to them and that their lives are being watched and directed first hand by unseen entities. These are people who hold down jobs, vote, have drivers licenses, raise children and don't seem delusional unless they're talking about the spirit world, the levels of heaven, rituals, and the magical qualities of temples and underwear. I would have to say "knowing" those things are as true as 1+1=2 is delusional. The little math example is one my TBM mother likes to use.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 12:54PM

rambo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No they are not delusional. In my experience I
> have noticed that most TBM's really do not know
> the problems with mormonism. They are being lied
> to just like I was lied to for 28 years of my
> life. Sure I heard of some of the problems but I
> always heard the aplogist responses that turned
> out to be lies as well. I really did not think I
> was delusional a year ago if I knew what I knew
> now I would have been out a long time ago.

We ALL were delusional, Rambo. I can't stand the fact that I wasted the first 18 years of my life on this foolishness. When I think of it I feel stupid! That's what I use this board for, to remind myself that other intelligent people deluded themselves too. We all had a hugh case of the "dumbass" but we recovered! I can remember a "true" story from a talk on missionary work or power of priesthood, or some other foolisheness, that went like "....a mishy was tracting and an antimormon sicked his killer dog on the elder, and he commanded "By the power of the Holy priesthood I command you to stop", and the dog fell dead at his feet..." At age 13 or so I bought that huge pile of BS as truth! Delusional is a good word for it.

Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 12:59PM

Yeah I guess so... but I was stilled lied to so it wasn't really my fault. As far as miracles are concerned I think it just took a lot of life experiences to realize "miracles" are really just things that happen to everyone and not just members of the church. They aren't even miracles actually they are just everyday events that happen in peoples lives that they take as miracles. Oh an then the stories that sound unbelievable it just took some life experience that these people exaggerated their stories or they were just playing out lying. I have never had anything supernatural happen to me that can not be explained.

Date: November 09, 2010 01:21PM

It's those who knowingly lie who are at fault. There's no crime in believing loved ones who seem honest and credible. I like to give us all accolades for somehow seeing through it and getting out.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 01:01PM

You believe it, but then as you get older, your BS detector gets louder and louder.

Date: November 09, 2010 01:21PM

During "PackerFest 2010" a few weeks back, I got more than a few responses from TBMs on my Facebook message thingy.

On the "Packer Backer" page, I declared the god of Islam to be the one-true-god, citing the events of 9/11/2001 as the basis of my proof. In my mind, Allah not only allowed but inspired the 9/11 terrorists to successfully execute their dirty deeds while all the other gods stood idly by and did nothing. We've got a clear winner here, folks. These are the facts and they are undisputed!

Anyway, this TBM dude writes on my message thingy that he doesn't believe the 9/11 hi-jackers will receive 72 virgins as a reward for their efforts, claiming such nonsense is a tad on the ridiculous side. I agreed, but then noted that he believes he'll receive thousands of eternal concubines to help him populate the planet or planets he is to inherit as a reward for being faithful to the cult and forking over 10% of his gross income.

He didn't write back after that. I don't know why.

Religionists in general are dillusional. Its part of the game!

Timothy

Date: November 09, 2010 01:32PM

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 10, 2010 05:36PM

Posted by: danr ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 01:45PM

and socializing them to believe a certain way is powerful. It doesn't matter if it is Mormonism or suicide bombing. If parents start young enough with their training you can make children believe anything.

Obviously the church knows this. They start their brainwashing in nursery, then at age three they go to Sunday School/Primary to learn how to bear their testimony and follow the prophet. When they become teenagers they have YWYM, Seminary, and FHE. They learn early that they are the only ones with the truth and the world is evil and against them. The training is intense, it kind of makes me wonder how any of us got out.

Date: November 09, 2010 03:20PM

I'm not kidding.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 12:53AM

before Correlation really kicked in. I don't think I realized it was a religion until we moved to Colorado and my parents got active and started making me go to church on Sunday. Suddenly, at age 15, I was always thinking, "Hmm, what are the chances of *that* being true."

So it seems really basic to me that people would question it, regularly and strenuously. But I'm told they don't.

I wouldn't call that delusional, but definitely not thinking very hard.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.