Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anony ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 12:29AM

Would they mind if someone wanted to, say, dye their hair blue or green or some other unusual color?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 12:38AM

Yes - you would be "discussed". I don't know if it would keep you from getting a temple recommend, if all else was in order. But you'd be classed with people who wear blue shirts with ties, instead of white ones and men with beards. But not as discussed as people who had tattoos or multiple piercings. That would be REALLY wrong.

Aw, that sort of made me miss little, stupid ways to feel "good" and "righteous" that Mormonism provides and miss the luxury of worrying about little, stupid problems instead of world hunger and stuff that bother other Christians.

Posted by: Question? ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 03:33PM

I'm a Mormon and I was wondering is it ok to have your ears pierced or is that a sin?

Posted by: faboo ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 12:50AM

I wanted to do that as a teenager, but my parents staunchly said "NO." Not sure if they can pull your temple recommend for it, but I imagine people would come down harder on, say, a blue-haired boy passing the sacrament than a young woman who decided to dye her hair.

They'd both get the side eye for sure, but they're very particular about how the Priesthood ought to present themselves (no facial hair, no long hair, white shirts and ties ONLY, etc.) The young woman might get privately pulled aside or gossiped about behind her back, but in my experience the boy is more likely to be publicly put into place one way or another.

Posted by: Allwhowander ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 01:44AM

I attended there was a married mom who went to the temple who had bright pink streaks in her hair. Her whole family of origin was looked down upon because they did not conform to the "look." There was a six month program based upon this one family trying to get the boys to cut their hair and boys and girls keep natural colors in. It didn't work. They all looked the way they wanted and most of the kids left the church as soon as they could.

Posted by: transplant in texas ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 01:49AM

we had a LOL with purple hair. VERY purple. she was a temple worker too but apparently it wasnt ever a problem.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 10:23AM

I asked my TBM mom when I was young why is was such an issue- She responded that it's seen as "rebelling" and it is frowned upon.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 10:45AM

Ask yourself "What would the Profit say if he saw me, and would he send me on a Mission to represent the Cult looking this way?"

Or a simple abbreviation
WWTPS

Posted by: medgirl007 ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 10:47AM

I have a sister who's 17. She is VERY against the Mormon church AND a lesbian. A few months ago, in rebellion to being called the Laural President, she died her hair Hot Pink with purple stripes. My parents FLIPPED their shit and the bishop had a meeting with her to discuss this "terrible issue." She agreed to fix it.

The next day, she shaved her head..I dont mean a buzz cut. She straight razored it. Bald as a cueball. I never laughed so hard in my life.

Needless to say she hasnt been back to church and recently moved out with her girlfriend. Funny stuff.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 12:57PM

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 04:39PM

Your sister is amazing. I do hope SOMEONE understood the message she was sending.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 10:56AM

Some years ago, it was “in” for teenage guys to bleach part of their hair blond. One day in SM it hit me that every single deacon serving the sacrament had partially bleached-blond hair. I was amused but also surprised that they were able to get away with it.

Posted by: eviltemptress ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 11:12AM

My step brother is the only active Mormon in his large extended family, they were all baptized but not one of them has been to church in 20 years. His mom and my dad met in a bar.

When he decided to go on a mission, the leadership knew he wasn't being forced to church by his family and I think they were afraid of being too hard on him and driving him away, so he got away with a lot of things.

He dyed his hair electric blue and kept it that way until the week before he left for the MTC. If you listened to the murmmers from the older people in his ward you would have thought he walking around naked and handing out drugs to all the kids. But nobody said anything directly to him.

He was aware of the murmers and wanted to shock them so he wore a Bud-Lite tie to his farewell at the church. It worked.

Posted by: vasalissasdoll ( )
Date: September 25, 2011 01:53PM

Not unwritten, check out a pamphlet called "For the Strength of Youth."

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 03:40PM

If tattoos are outer darkness and piercings telestial, wild color hair dying is Terrestrial. Not a heavenly Mormon but tolerated in their young.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 07, 2019 04:24PM

My heavens, the ward I grew up in must have been Protestant. Half the old ladies had hair that was white tinted with blue or purple.

No one said a word about it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.