Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Moi ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 04:34PM

When he was first called, and gave his pickle speech, Bednar seemed like the odds on favorite to be prophet someday. But I'm sensing that enthusiasm toward him has waned. People seem bored. He's speaking right now, and simultaneously sucking the air out of the room.

I think the new favorite for prophet is Uchtdorf. His stock is up, Bednar's is down. In my humble opinion.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 04:38PM

I agree, his star seems to be fading but his forehead is shining. It's probably the botox!!

D

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 04:39PM

It's a race to see who can outlive the others the longest. The way to the top is either through superior genes and longevity, or quietly removing others from the gene pool through 'other means of manipulation.'

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 04:39PM

Bednar's got that "look" and CEO qualities that Mormons love, but he just comes off as an arrogant prick. Uchtdorf, to me, actually comes off as a genuinely normal nice guy who seems to care about people. His talks always seem to be a little different than the pray pay and obey talks like the other GA's.

Posted by: Moi ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 05:20PM

Totally agree.

Posted by: freeman ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 04:50PM

My guess is that Bednar will make it as prophet someday, on account of him being relatively young. Afterall, it is only a matter of outliving everybody else. Nothing mystical about that. Most modern prophets were young when they first were "called" to the 12.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 06:35PM

Shot me but he wasn't that bad this time with talking about family history.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 07:45PM

Like Monson, he was made an apostle at a young age, so he will very likely outlive all those with more seniority.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 09:14PM

Of the existing Q15 he has the best odds of any to rise to the top spot.

Posted by: Gorspel Dacktrin ( )
Date: October 01, 2011 10:47PM

He will be prophet--unless they change the automatic selection procedure before then or he gets caught in public with his pants down or doing drugs or something (which is unlikely).

That's one of the many funny things about the so-called restored Church of Jesus Christ--you know, the one that has received back all of the once lost "keys" of revelation, inspiration, prophecy and yadda-yadda-bing-bang-bam. You'd think that the process of selecting their All High Grand Pooh Bah Revelator, Seer and Poopette would be an occasion for great displays of inspiration and revelation. Instead, it's a fully automatic seniority system. The only way that God can affect the result is by causing the deaths of more senior Apostles who are in the way of his chosen one.

Pathetic church.

Date: October 02, 2011 07:33AM

Gorspel Dacktrin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only way that God can
> affect the result is by causing the deaths of more
> senior Apostles who are in the way of his chosen
> one.

I sincerely hope, for the sake of my TBM friends and family, that God "causes the death" of Packer before Monson goes.

Posted by: anon2day ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 12:39AM

Let hope he gets the big Chair..

He will alienate more people than anyone can imagine. There isn't a humble bone in that guys plastic body.

I hope it's soon.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 01:29AM

The whole church's star is fading. It's become a corporation and programs have replaced people. It's just local wards trying to keep Salt Lake happy so they can get a little more of their tithing money back so they can have a decent ward picnic or Christmas party.

Everything is hitting diminishing returns. They have built so many temples and made them so cookie cutter cheap, that nobody cares about a temple anything.

What good there was in the church correlation destroyed completely in the 1990's. There's nothing worth staying for.

Posted by: robertb ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 05:16AM

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 05:09AM

Of course, all he has to do is outlive eleven men who are all ten to thirty years older. Yet surprises do happen: in the past 100 years, only two presidents were younger than 75. The last one was Harold B Lee. I was always told everybody expected a relatively long presidency from him, but he died the next year. His successor Spencer W Kimball was older than him and recovering from cancer. I was always told nobody expected him to become a prophet, much less for twelve years.

So time will tell.

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 10:19AM

Mateo Pastor Wrote:
> Of course, all he has to do is outlive eleven men
> who are all ten to thirty years older. Yet
> surprises do happen: in the past 100 years, only
> two presidents were younger than 75. The last one
> was Harold B Lee.

and that SOB dropped dead like someone much much older.

Date: October 02, 2011 02:27PM

Posted by: Lucky ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 10:16AM

.... by LYING with out reserve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ1uIgbI2QY

a nostalgic look at Hinckley in action in his
hey day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uaCb3Gc210

Posted by: Tauna ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 11:01AM

I like that he isn't stage managed by the COB.

I like that he is a miserable/grumpy old man that doesn't like progress.

I like that he says offensive things in conference (remember the kitten/genital story anyone?).

I think Packer is the perfect profit to help usher in the next ten years where gay marriage will become legal in all 50 states except Utah.

I think he will be a dream come true (for people who hate the church of course).

And a lot of mormons build a large part of their testimony on worshipping the profit.

I hope he lives to be 100 (and keeps just enough of his wits to keep saying the offensive stuff that he does).

Posted by: sparta ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 11:38AM

The best thing to happen to morgdom (imo & from an exmo pov) would be for Packer to become the head honcho.

Date: October 02, 2011 02:16PM

God (or cancer) will probably strike Packer down before he gets a chance. No loving God would inflict Packer on his children.

I expect if Monson does outlive Packer, that there will be plenty of TBMs who sincerely believe God didn't want him to be the next prophet. That would certainly be the view of the other surviving 13!

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 02:25PM

What about Uchtdorf as a non-American? Won't this unsettle some of the orthodox?

Date: October 02, 2011 02:37PM

Of course John Taylor had become a US citizen, but I'm sure Uchtdorf can get a US passport, too. Still, I think TSCC would like a foreign prophet at some point. To appear a global church and all that, you see.

Date: October 02, 2011 02:41PM

...and in another 50 years maybe even a black one?

...and 50 years after that, maybe even a gay one!?

Of course, by then, TSCC will be utterly irrelevent, but there will be still be TBMs, believing whatever interpretation of history and doctrine the current prophets tell them to.

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: October 02, 2011 05:47PM

This doesn't matter. They all have to wait their turn, and Bednar was first in line. He'll likely sit in the center chair someday.

Bednar may never get into the big 3 until the day he takes the big job. Depends on who comes after Tommy Five Bucks.

Date: October 03, 2011 12:42AM

snowball Wrote:
> This doesn't matter. They all have to wait their
> turn, and Bednar was first in line. He'll likely
> sit in the center chair someday.
>
> Bednar may never get into the big 3 until the day
> he takes the big job. Depends on who comes after
> Tommy Five Bucks.

You mean none of the others, or few of the others, would want
him for a counsellor? Why is that? He seems as bland as the next one in my opinion. Why did he do?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.