Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anon7 ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 11:17AM

I'm going to a TBM funeral this weekend. Arizona pioneer family with lots of TBM relatives. Bishop will be speaking about the Plan of Happiness, "Grandpa's" testimony etc.. Do they send the mishies out for such functions? I think most of the family is already TBM. I'm one of the few nonmos related by marriage.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 11:36AM

Mishies sometimes show up at funerals mormon or not just to start conversations with those who are feeling vulnerable and might want to hear the morg gospel to soothe their grief.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 11:41AM

However, I've only been to a handful of mormon funerals, as a mormon.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 11:48AM

(Is that the word? "Bereaved?") We were instructed to look at the death postings. In Italy they were mostly in the form of small posters plastered to walls in the parish. We were supposed to look these folks up and explain the so-called "plan of salvation." It was yet another manifestation of Mormons not being in touch with custom, and to do it would have been rude and disastrous. We never did, anyway. We were just young guys who were just too embarrassed to do something like that.

NOTE: I did love, however, to see the family come out of an Italian funeral, marching in slow step behind the pallbearers who hold the casket on their shoulders. The church bells play a kind of muffled "klink" as the people walk, often walking right down the street to the church yard where an open grave awaits. It's very moving to see.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 01:23PM

I have never seen Mishies at funerals, but they have been known to check obituaries for possible contacts.

Posted by: SweetZ ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 01:31PM

Maybe half of the people there were not mormon. Missionaries were there but I didn't see anyone preached to. Nobody used the opportunity to reactivate me either.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.