Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 11:23AM

but jump right into it elsewehere?

Specifically, I'm talking about some exmos who go straight from mormonism to other cult-like experiences, whether they be religious, political, hobbies, etc.

I'm not slamming all religion, but it strikes me as particularly ironic when a former mormon leaves TSCC because of "false doctrine" and leaps right into some fundie xian group.

Is this akin to "dry drunk syndrome"? What am I missing here?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 11:40AM

The same reason many women divorce an abusive husband and marry another one. That sort of relationship feels comfortable to them. Or they feel like that's what they deserve.

As far as Mormons are concerned, some find out the church is a fraud but they are comfortable with magical thinking, it makes sense to them, they miss having special insider information on how the universe works. Also, they may never have learned to make decisions for themselves and so when someone comes along and sets the rules for the exmo, has magical answers to share with them -- that also feels comfortable and familiar. It takes the unfamiliar burden of personal responsibility and having to think off their shoulders, which may be a relief to them. Even an uncomfortable comfort zone can seem desirable to someone who is struggling out there alone to make sense of the world.

Personally, I'm very suspicious of anyone trying to take advantage of me or trying to sell me snake oil. I almost wish I could be a little more trusting again. But not like I was. I'd rather thrash around in the dark and figure things out for myself than be lied to. It's better than waking up one day and figuring out that everything in my life is just wrong and I was misled. Been there, done that when leaving Mormonism.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 11:55AM

Maybe we can think for ourselves in one or several areas and still get caught up in following lies, fraud, and authority in others.
It seems that thinking for yourself in one area does not always generalize to all areas. It may have to be consciously applied to each unique area.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 01:30PM

Losing Mormonism is hard. Losing your entire belief system is even more difficult.

Some people deconstruct more because they're ready and some don't.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 11, 2010 02:59PM

Me--I NEVER EVEN CONSIDERED going to another religion. I hated going to church. HATED GOING TO CHURCH. I just did because I thought I HAD TO.

I have just realized in the last week or two that I NEVER have to READ SCRIPTURES AGAIN. I'd never even thought about it before until I looked up something from Leviticus on line because my boyfriend said something about it and I was reading it and thinking, "Oh, I sure hated reading scriptures!!!" What a huge burden that was lifted. I also HATED listening in meetings--sitting there bored out of my mind. I NEVER have to go to meetings again.

I read about people going to church here or asking what new one they can go to and I think TORTURE.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.