Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bridget ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 10:04AM

Where's the quote by JF Smith I think about studying Mormonism to find out if it's true or a fraud, and also another one by GB Hinckley, in which he also says it's either true or false--can't be inbetween?

Thanks...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ex Aedibus ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 10:11AM

""Mormonism, as it is called, must stand or fall on the story of Joseph Smith. He was either a prophet of God, divinely called, properly appointed and commissioned, or he was one of the biggest frauds this world has ever seen. There is no middle ground. If Joseph was a deceiver, who willfully attempted to mislead people, then he should be exposed, his claims should be refuted, and his doctrines shown to be false."

Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, vo1. 1, pp. 188-189

Posted by: Bridget ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 10:46AM

I believe the Hinckster said something along these lines, too. Anyone know where it is (or what he said)?

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 11:01AM

Hinky said something like this about the first vision, is that what you mean?

I read this talk in the summer of 2007. I was in between assignments and had some time on my hands. I was a card-carrying TBM at the time and decided to look into the different first vision accounts, fully expecting to see my faith confirmed and strengthened. I was aware that there were different accounts but I didn't know the accounts themselves. Two months later, Greg Dodge received our family's resignation letter :-)

You can find the background of my story here (reply #5):

http://www.mvgcontact.org/MormonismGlobalCounterChurch.htm

You can find Hinckley's bluff here:

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=4ebe76e6ffe0c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 11:13AM

PBS:- Our film [features] a very strong statement you made. You are talking about the foundational story of Mormonism and why it must be taken literally, that Joseph Smith had the vision he described and obtained the plates the way he did. You said there is no middle ground. Other churches are approaching their foundational stories and turning them into metaphor at times and going perhaps for the essence of the meaning. But that isn't true for you or for this church. I'm wondering if you can develop that idea: Why can't there be a middle ground in the way those foundational stories are understood?

HINCKLEY:- Well, it's either true or false. If it's false, we're engaged in a great fraud. If it's true, it's the most important thing in the world. Now, that's the whole picture. It is either right or wrong, true or false, fraudulent or true. And that's exactly where we stand, with a conviction in our hearts that it is true: that Joseph went into the [Sacred] Grove; that he saw the Father and the Son; that he talked with them; that Moroni came; that the Book of Mormon was translated from the plates; that the priesthood was restored by those who held it anciently. That's our claim. That's where we stand, and that's where we fall, if we fall. But we don't. We just stand secure in that faith.

http://www.pbs.org/mormons/interviews/hinckley.html

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.