Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 14, 2011 11:44AM

Does anyone know what Monson is like when he is not in the spotlight? Is his public persona real or fake? Anyone have any good stories about running into him outside of church functions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 14, 2011 11:56AM

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 16, 2011 11:36PM

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: October 14, 2011 11:57AM

The most consistent rumors indicate that he is not kind to his underlings. That's also consistent with his career as a corporate manager (both inside and outside the TSCC).

He's a glad-hander on the outside and then a mean old man on the inside.

Date: October 14, 2011 03:05PM

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: October 14, 2011 03:25PM

had an encounter several months ago. She was picking up some dry cleaning, and Tommy's driver parked right in the drive-through lane blocking it. Tommy and a side boy got out.

DW was coming out of the shop with a large piece (a big table cloth). DW was having difficulty maneuvering the piece into her car. Tommy saw the problem and asked if she'd like some help. DW allowed as how that would be nice.

Tommy snaps his fingers at the side boy and points to DW and the car. The side boy helps DW and she thanks them and goes on her way. End of story.

Just one comment. To my mind, Tommy showed a strange combination of helpfulness and thoughtfulness and arrogance. Thoughtful to see and offer to help DW in her difficulty--arrogance toward his minion and anyone who might have wanted to use the drive-through.

Wonder-if-he-showed-all-those-widows-the-same-mixed-message-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: zimmy ( )
Date: October 14, 2011 03:51PM

the most telling thing i have noticed when i have seen monson in public is how unhappy his wife looks. she must be so tired of the attention that she no longer even pretends.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 14, 2011 03:54PM

I don't think it matters, unless he's over-the-edge MEAN to people.

Regardless of what's showing, it's difficult to tell what's on the inside.

we 'should' allow individuals a bit of wiggle room; we KNOW that's not allowed by ChurchCo.

Date: October 14, 2011 05:24PM

I agree, but these aren't normal people. They are claiming to be prophets of God. As such I hold a higher standard for them and expect them to act like it and to be sincere people whether they are in the spotlight or not.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: October 15, 2011 07:16PM

AI totally agree with you on that one.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: October 14, 2011 03:58PM

I had a friend whose father interacts frequently with the big 15. He said that Monson is by far the sternest. In fact, he had me guess who the sternest/meanest was, and Monson was my last guess (I was a naive young TBM at the time).

Sounds to me like it's a well understood fact that you don't cross Tommy Boy. Also would explain why his wife looks unhappy. He's probably outwardly nice to everyone not under his priesthood authority.

But this is coming from someone who doesn't know him personally, so don't take my word for it.

Posted by: NeverMo Mom of Mo's ( )
Date: October 14, 2011 05:52PM

I know someone that works at Little America. Monson often eats there and she said he never has to pay and never tips. There is always another customer that pays for his meal. She also says he gives her the creeps and hates waiting on him. :o)

Posted by: apatheist ( )
Date: October 15, 2011 06:53PM

"I'll have.. the vegetable, even.. the omelet. And yeah, I will have orange juice, and a steak.. of marvelous wonder. I spoke with a widow once.. who told me she, had *an* omelet.. and I was so filled with the spirit.."

Date: October 15, 2011 07:17PM

I would never pay his bill. What a jackass letting others pay for him. So fucking stupid. Such damn blind Morgbots.

Posted by: Johnny Canuck ( )
Date: October 14, 2011 08:03PM

Incontinent perhaps...he is after all full of sh*t.

As for serving him in a restaurant I'd spit or blow my nose on his food.

Date: October 14, 2011 11:47PM

Posted by: cricket ( )
Date: October 15, 2011 11:14AM

One of the most ironic stories happened as Tommy Monson, an apostle when Spencer W. Kimball delivered his famous "Don't shoot the little birdies!" speech at General Conference.

“Now, I also would like to add some of my feelings concerning the unnecessary shedding of blood and destruction of life. I think that every soul should be impressed by the sentiments that have been expressed here by the prophets. And not less with reference to the killing of innocent birds is the wildlife of our country that live upon the vermin that are indeed enemies to the farmer and to mankind. It is not only wicked to destroy them, it is a shame, in my opinion. I think that this principle should extend not only to the bird life but to the life of all animals” (President Spencer W. Kimball, Fundamental Principles to Ponder and Live, Ensign (CR), November 1978, p.43).

Monson, a card carrying National Rifle Association member and avid duck and geese hunter was sitting right behind Kimball, probably wishing he could be out at the Asarco Church Farm property on the shore of the Great Salt Lake, sitting in duck blind with his decoys and dogs all set for the big bang bang instead of sitting at General Conference. LOL!

http://www.salamandersociety.com/foyer/prophets/thomassmonson/

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 15, 2011 11:54AM

Per a friend, when Monson heads to lunch at the executive dining room at the COB, his secretary calls down to let them know to make his salad. Per solid sources, he goes nuts if his salad lettuce is torn (can't be cut) more than a few minutes before eating. He claims it wilts.

Date: October 15, 2011 07:19PM

This guy really sounds like an ass.

Posted by: wings ( )
Date: October 15, 2011 12:39PM

I have not seen him for years, however, he has crossed paths in business and family since the early 70's with me and my children's family. I have nothing bad to say about Tom in the private settings. When my exFIL suffered near death, he was at the hospital with my children and exMIL. This was during the surgery, and late at night. I heard from my oldest that Tom was great at keeping things light for the family, and they were grateful for his support. Tom and my exFIL have been friends most of their lives. Personally, he was never anything but charming in my interactions with him, long before his prophet status.

As for his story telling, I have my own opinion of those stories. As for him, or anyone being a prophet ....there has never been one, in my opinion.

Posted by: theDrive - not logged in ( )
Date: October 15, 2011 01:36PM

I have met Monson more than once he was kind and cordial. One time was in a restaurant and he was there with his wife and assistant. He was like any other person and if I didn't know it was him he would have been like any other geriatric out for an early dinner.

Later on, through marriage, he became friends of our family and has come across as a regular person. Those who don't know him personally always know someone who heard from a friend that he is such and such. But from my personal experience he is a guy in a tough position and is trying to do the best he can while protecting the church. He has too much personally invested to quit now. He tells heartwarming stories and does what he can to inspire the membership but I *know* that he's just doing what others have done prior to him. And that's continue to mainstream and get rid of questionable teachings or doctrine.

Date: October 15, 2011 02:19PM

theDrive - not logged in Wrote:
> But from my personal
> experience he is a guy in a tough position and is
> trying to do the best he can while protecting the
> church. He has too much personally invested to
> quit now. He tells heartwarming stories and does
> what he can to inspire the membership but I *know*
> that he's just doing what others have done prior
> to him. And that's continue to mainstream and get
> rid of questionable teachings or doctrine.

Are you just assuming this too, like me, or do you have other reasons that you *know* this to be the case?

Posted by: holistic ( )
Date: October 15, 2011 03:14PM

I have a good one about Utchdorf...hope you all don't mind. I thought it was funny, it was told to me when people thought I was still active. This was last summer and I was still considered to be in the in. My boyfriend that was such an openly Jack Mormon has a brother that was engaged to Utchdorf's neighbor. North Salt lake up on that hill, you know that place? It's a joke to me. I know a lot of people that live there and they think they are royalty. Anyways, she told me that her mom goes to the movies with Utchdorf's wife. She said specifically she went to Julie and Julia, I believe that's the name... and she would only go to the early show cause she doesn't like all the attention she gets and she didn't want people to know she was going to a pg-13 movie. I tried not to bust up laughing. I met the fiancee's parents at the wedding and thought they were soo strange. My bf and I drove with them to the temple in DC and they were swearing at each other. Then she was like pull over at the next mcdonalds, I have the worst headache and really need a coke!! They pretended like they had a bunch of money, had a richy rich reception then later to find out months down the road that the newlyweds were stuck paying for the wedding due to her parents going broke and filing bankruptcy. My ex bf's brother is the most basic I like to save money so you can imagine how mad he was. I heard all about it from my ex. I admire my old bf's family for being cheap and frugal. They don't value the material things cause they are here today, gone tomorrow. The NSCL folks weren't very smart with their money eh? I wonder if they even still live up on the prestigious North Salt Lake Hill? I still wish them the best cause I thought they were decent nice people. Just strange. :)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 15, 2011 06:48PM

First of all, he is an elderly man, with an aging body and mind.

Whatever he is like privately, doesn't matter to me.

It is clear that he is living his life in the pattern of his heritage, very much like very senior members of other religions.
Their duties are limited, and I'm sure his are also. He has a lot of people who help him.

Give him and the others some slack. You'll probably be older and find out how difficult life really is in those decades.
It's not easy!

Posted by: silverlightx ( )
Date: October 16, 2011 02:37PM

'Cause she doesn't like ageism?

There's a limit to how responsible Monson, or anyone else, can be for TSCC. I'm inclined to believe that he's mean to subordinates, and of course he lies to the members constantly. But they'd need 15 reformers, all of whom coordinate their lying to the members to not shock the place too much, and the will to spend 5 to 30 years on reform. That's what it would take to reform the church. Even then they'll get dozens of splinter groups, the way the Community of Christ did, because half of the membership wants to be fooled and wants to believe in the lies.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 16, 2011 03:47PM

Agreed and Serena seems to have a vendetta against SQ. Maybe she should take her own advice and ignore her.

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: October 16, 2011 11:09PM

Since it seems that you can't stand me or anything I say, why not take your own excellent advice and ignore me? Do you think you can do that? It doesn't matter to me if you do or don't - I really don't care, but it might be better for your general health to not get so exercised about me. It's a little silly.

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: October 17, 2011 03:27AM

serena...i don't know why but i'm a bit turned on by you right now sweetie. <blush>

Posted by: serena ( )
Date: October 17, 2011 03:33AM

I haven't felt sexy since menopause hit, but thanks anyway! Love a good laugh. So feisty women are sexy to you? Excellent!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: October 16, 2011 11:12PM

I'm not 'exercised' about you, but you really do seem to have an obsession with Susie Q and I am not sure if I find it silly or obnoxious. Maybe a little of both. You don't see to like being treated the same way, so you?

Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: October 17, 2011 03:28AM

i'll sleep like a baby tonight that's for sure. contact me if interested. seriously.

Posted by: zulu1 ( )
Date: October 16, 2011 11:25PM

is the way a friend of mine who worked for church security described him. I was fascinated because this guy was a loyal, believing Mormon. However, he noted that when Monson spoke at General Conference he had to leave the room or turn off the TV because of what he knew about Monson (he was really conflicted!). Basically he told me that he was the "meanest man alive" and treated others horribly (anyone who had a lower status than he did, of course). Interestingly, same friend noted that Neil Maxwell was a saint--treating everyone from peers to janitors and waiters as equals.

Posted by: anon for now ( )
Date: October 17, 2011 04:25PM

I have heard, from a fairly reliable fish tale source, that Monson drink Dr. Pepper by the gallon. He an also be fairly stern about procedure and policy; often sending underlings home to change ties or shirts.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: October 17, 2011 04:39PM

Why in God's name would anyone want to know the answer to that. I wouldn't want private time with him under any circumstances cuz he'd pull that pious bullshit and I'd have to bitch slap him.

Ron

Posted by: mcarp ( )
Date: October 17, 2011 06:23PM

Tabula Rasa Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why in God's name would anyone want to know the
> answer to that. I wouldn't want private time with
> him under any circumstances cuz he'd pull that
> pious bullshit and I'd have to bitch slap him.

That reminds me of someone who replied to the question, "What would be the first thing you said to Joseph Smith if you met him?"

His answer was, "Sorry about that" because before he said anything he would kick him in the balls.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.