Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:18AM

Mind you this was done in the privacy of our own home, and not in a manner that would hurt or disturb others who think that they are special.

My wife was initially very hurt/worried/upset at my unbelief. But whatever stage I was at in leaving, I was lucky that she got there about 6 months later. Of course by then I was on to the next stage, and so it went.

I started using my old garment tops as rags to clean with. If I needed to clean something, I'd snip a chunk off and clean it up, then throw it away. Kind of like super duty paper towels. Being six months behind me, she was a little bit annoyed.

Recently she spilled some grape juice, and not wanting to stain a nice kitchen cloth, she looked where I kept my cut garment and a pair of scissors, took it out and said, "I guess I should just use this huh?"

Once again, she has caught up to me in another area. I'm so lucky that she has been following me out. Using garments to clean up spilled grape juice was just another example. At first she couldn't handle me even talking about how bad they looked, now she cleaned with one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dit ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:29AM

My TBM parents always used their old garments as dust rags. They would always cut out the parts they thought were special...cough, cough and then we could use them.

I thought every Mormon family did this.....LOL!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 10:40AM

It was considered smart and thrifty. Of course housewives had to first cut out the symbols and burn them in the fireplace or a soup can in the kitchen sink.

Only the cotton knit garmies work as rags, not the old nylon or rayon variety.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:04AM

Nobody I knew would ever use them to clean. They'd cut the Mason symbols out and throw them in the garbage. Probably gently place them in the garbage *wink*. As if that is so much more reverent, but I had never seen or heard of anyone cleaning with them.

Perhaps I just wasn't part of the, "Waste not, want not" generation. I wouldn't dare tell anyone in my family that I cleaned with them. They would be so offended.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:06AM

I was told if you cut the marks out and burned them, then used them to wash and wax your car, you'd never have another accident.

Okay, I made that up, but it sounds plausible doesn't it? :)

Ron

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:10AM

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 11:16AM

to make patterns. Apparently, if one is making 19th century underwear, garments are some of the best examples around.

Posted by: rgg ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 04:04PM

I would watch my mother carefully cut-out the symbols and use them for rags as well, always pounding in the point that they’d never touched the ground and were sacred until the symbols were cut-out and burned. She would then use them as every day rags.

I did the family washing and would wash their garments. When no one was looking I would throw them on the floor and rub them in really well and then wash them. I would giggle to myself thinking that my parents were so dumb to think that their precious "garments" were protecting them...LOL

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 04:09PM

Reading this--isn't it actually HYSTERICAL that we thought we had to cut out the markings.

I held onto garments FOR YEARS because I wasn't quite sure how to go about disposing of the markings. I mean--did I really need to start a fire? What if I burned down the house (I always worried about that)?

As for the rest of you using them as rags, my parents' garments WERE RAGS by the time they threw them out.

My ex's parents saved all their old garments. They had this big storage room in their basement that they saved everything in. The first time I went in there--there were boxes that were labeled things like "______'s bras 1962." No lie. They saved EVERYTHING.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 06:26PM

But I did often wish she did it while I was not wearing them.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 09:28PM

LDS Church. Everyone I knew used the garment (sans the markings) as rags for decades.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.