Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Skooby ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 06:09PM

I just wanted to pass this along. I found an interesting message from someone claiming to be from this board. I googled her e-mail and found that people on other boards were getting the same e-mail.

The important thing is that I don't disclose my e-mail here. So they must have gotten it another way. Hacking perhaps.

Here is the message.

Hello sweetie

My name is Judy, i am 25yrs old, i'm a free minded, open hearted girl, i like to take life as easy as i could, i'm one of the few that still belives in friendship,love, trust and signs, am very much single and ready to mingle. was browsing through the internet and came across your contact at (exmormon.org) belive me i like what i see and i am attracted to you, it will be my sincere pleasure to be your friend if you don't mind, i hope you will not take my request for granted, feel free to email me, i will appreciate it if you can send me some pics to my private email address, i look forward to hear from you soon.
Take care.

Judy.

E-mailed from 'pjudy1@ymail.com'

Since it was in my spam box I assume Yahoo is already onto this. Others may not be however.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 06:14PM

Didn't think that it was something widespread, but I'm far too naturally suspicious (blame the morg) to have done anything other than delete that e-mail.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 06:16PM

Dam, thought I'd pulled...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 06:20PM

I saw that one, too, but I don't think it was in my e-mail--somebody else told me about it.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 06:46PM

Several messages have arrived recently purporting to be from someone on one of the exmo discussion groups saying something like "I am so sorry to bother you, but I am desperate and need help! I have made a quick trip to London and right after I got here I got robbed of all my money. I need 500 pounds immediately to cover my hotel and other debts here. Can you send it? I promise I will pay you back as soon as I get home! Thanks!"

I didn't fall for it, of course. I only sent ten dollars.

(just kidding!)

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 07:25PM

I always wonder when people say they they spewed coffee at the monitor when reading a post--I finally did spit apple at the monitor when you said you had only sent $10. That is a FIRST for me!

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 07:54PM

I think that was a case of the e-mail address getting hacked and them sending spam to all the friends.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 07:07PM

I got the same email except mine said it was from Maria and included a photo. It was also in the spam folder and I deleted it. The text of the email was identical to the ones from Judy.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 07:19PM

I got the Judy email, too.

I rarely post my email address on this board. Therefore I think this is a long term lurker/harvester.

Date: November 12, 2010 07:39PM

Registered names there used to also display e-mails (many of them, anyway).

Posted by: rgrraymond ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 07:42PM

She wants sex or 90% of your income.

Date: November 12, 2010 07:44PM

Posted by: Nealster ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 08:35PM

Nigerian Judy strikes again!

I love these type of spam emails - they remind me of how guillable I used to be. Unfortunately, people are still taken in by them.

Posted by: AnonyMs ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 08:39PM

He lives in Argentina and just happens to be an exmo too. But he doesn't visit RFM.

Anyway, nephew's email address was hacked...he contacted hacker then changed the address.

RPackham-------I haven't laughed that much forever...thanks.

K

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2010 08:40PM by AnonyMs.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.