Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: June ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 09:33PM

I am friends (or probably just on friendly terms) with a Mormon family that has a 14 year old daughter. I had a conversation with her mom a few months back because she was worried her daughter was wearing makeup to school which is against there family rule. The mom decided to surprise her daughter at school and bring along her camera to take a photo to show her husband. It made me so mad, but I stayed out of it because I don't want to get involved with how people parent.

Well I saw this daughter at the store (I doubt she knows I've left the church). She was walking with some boy who is never mo holding hands. I waved to her and as soon as she saw me she let go of the boy's hand and quickly started walking a few feet in front of him. I felt awful and just wanted to say, don't worry about it, I don't care if you are dating and I wont tell anyone.

I remember being a young teen and always having to hide the fact that I had a boyfriend. One time I was holding hands with my boyfriend with a group of never mo friends and my mom ran into us and made such a scene about it. Nobody could understand why and I was humiliated. I can't count how many times I had to go to school dances in the most uncomfortable (yet modest) dresses while everyone else was wearing something that you could actually dance in.

I feel sick to my stomach for the girls, because I know exactly how she feels. Hopefully it will only make her stronger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: November 12, 2010 09:52PM

Omg, it's like you were taking a page from my life. My mother is also psycho and would do things like that to me. I remember being dragged out of a few church dances because she didn't like who I was dancing with. She also physically came into my senior graduation party, which was chaperoned, and dragged me out by my arm. I was about to do the limbo and apparently that was inexcusable. So mortifying for an 18 year old to be manhandled like a child.

I wasn't allowed to wear make-up or even shave until I went into high school. And I had to wear the most ridiculous dresses for school pictures. And people wonder why I was a social mess until well into my mid-20's.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.