Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 11:36AM

So I am sitting in GD Class yesterday and they are talking about works and grace, but no one wants to address the obvious elephant in the room if you think about it...

In the Book of Mormon, it says we are saved by the Grace of Christ...AFTER ALL WE CAN DO.

Even as a TBM did you EVER do ALL that you could do? Neither did I.

So Christ gives us grace, but we have to be perfect to obtain it to go to the Celestial Kingdom. What's the point?

No wonder some members end up carrying 4 or 5 callings at a time and still feeling worthless. It's just never EVER good enough because despite all you do, you could have done more. But if you didn't kill yourself doing it. It's just plain not enough for the Mormon Jesus.

"You didn't sing at full capacity when begging for my help, therefore, my grace is not sufficient for you. You didn't do what you could have.Goodbye." Jesus.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 11:58AM

Well that would be a depressing way to have to look at life wouldn't it? "After all we can do", is a catch 22 of sorts.....had the author used a different word like "after all you have been assigned to do". It would have at least been detailed enough to make an accurate accounting of what you had been specifically assigned to do.

Seems to me that the 10 commandments are like that.....specific. After not fulfilling the big 10 laws written in stone we can ask for grace and life becomes easier to live.

I think that the "after all you can do" doctrine is meant to generate immediate action and servitude to the church. After all, this will only be for this life, and then you get to be a God and hump hundreds of polygamous wives....organize solar systems....go back to another wife and hump some more.....jump next door to wife number 007 and get more fun time. All this fun is promised to the guy that will just put in the time here doing all he can do. Sounds like heavenly bliss for those focused (obsessed) on unlimited sex. (most young boys - duh!) By the way sisters....that is why the men have priesthood meetings without the opposite gender. It's hard not to smile and get all happy and giddy about all this great news and we are afraid to look like the perverts that we are in front of the sisters. No man can keep a straight face when talking about the concept of hundreds of women sexually satisfying him and worshiping him, and being told to bow their heads and say, I will obey. Think about it girls!

The catch is that you have never done enough.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 11:59AM by upsidedown.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:05PM

The pressure to be perfect is unbearable.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:13PM

is there any way to quantify this subjective "measurement" ?

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:29PM

Rest assured, YOU can't measure yourself. Because the gospel is about doing what OTHER people expect of you. You aren't qualified to judge your own efforts, or even your abilities, for that matter.

If you are tired, stressed, or poor, just keep giving until you have nothing left to give. Because whatever you give, rest assured it's NOT enough.

Posted by: Sandie ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:24PM

It is asking us to trust in God and with His help, we will be able to fulfill out obligations with a qualifier, to the best of our abilities. We aren't asked to be super human nor exceed our capabilities.

The MO version sux with its qualifier: After all you can do. Even the PB's are "predicated on your faithfulness." >O:/

Posted by: nlocnil ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 12:33PM

I have a project I'm working on this exact topic:

http://www.afterallwecando.com

I'm trying to document everything that a mormon is supposed to do in order to complete that scripture (2 Nephi 25:23)

If you have any to add I'll post them up right away.
So far I'm up to 286 Mormon rules, laws, commandments, regulations, or strongly worded suggestions.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 12:34PM by nlocnil.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 02:33PM

Posted by: jackol ( )
Date: October 24, 2011 03:01PM

After leaving mormonism I then had to re-evaluate Christianity as well and I came to basically the same conclusions as I did about mormonism. It just doesn't make any sense logically. The whole premise of Christianity goes against the very teachings of Christianity. It just makes no sense. The Teachings in Mormonism of "after all you can do" just adds more guilt and creates more subservience and dependence on the Church in the members. It's all about manipulation and control.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2011 03:38PM by jackol.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.