Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 01:18PM

The bullying and book banning continues. http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,328324 thread continuation Formerly Filthy Rich author Adam Baker's interview on 97.1 radio was also removed from their website. I listened to it on their podcasts archive one day and the next it was gone. It was part 2 of Nov 1, now there is only part 1 and part 3 http://zoo.971zht.com/main.html How's that for control of the media? But then again, that's nothing new in Utah, controlling what the serfs get to read or hear is ongoing.

http://www.examiner.com/conservative-in-san-francisco/book-burning-america-a-tale-of-nu-skin This article gives more info on how Nu Skin was able to get the book pulled from B&N and Amazon. Adam's websites get pulled down almost as fast as he can put them up.

Email Adam formerlyfilthyrich@yahoo.com if you want a copy. It's currently the only way to get one of his books. I believe it's a PDF download.

I've read the book and have to agree with another poster that even if there are lies in the book, something must be true or they wouldn't aggressively pull it down. What ever happened to dragging him into court and charging him with defamation or libel? There are plenty of books that have been fought over to be removed from shelves or the internet, yet the courts rule in favor of the authors. It would seem Nu Skin is above the law, just like the Morg.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dit ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 01:24PM

I sent an email this morning about a copy of the book and 4 hrs later received the pdf. I'll most def be reading over Thanksgiving.

Posted by: Blinky ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 01:33PM

Posted by: Amy ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 02:49PM

Oh there is TONS of scandalous stuff in the book. The main points I felt were the history of Sandie growing up and early involvement with his family. His descriptions of her are brutal as well. It definitely is worth the read, though has quite a bit of adult content (just a warning).

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:00PM

http://www.formerlyfilthyrich.com/

I'm getting something about "trying to connect your domain to your Wix site".

Posted by: I believed this once, years ago.. ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:01PM

I just sent off an email for the book. Yesterday I visited his website, and today it is gone. (Insert spooky music)

His blog is still up though - I read all his chapter excerpts. There are one or two sentences that suggest step-mom Sandie made inappropriate advances to her step-son, but most of the passages slammed Sandie T's physical appearance and amoral willingness to do anything for money.

I honestly had to laugh at the chapter in which she takes him to her house and tries to seduce him in her hot tub. He fails to describe even a single attractive feature of her nude figure, and paints a picture that would have a normal man cringing in horror, unless they had a fetish for fake, hard breasts that "could do with a touch-up".

I'm guessing the money behind suppressing his book is the whole might of NuSkin, and not just a vain, aging woman's outrage at being so un-flatteringly portrayed.

He describes the NuSkin product line as being hugely overpriced (true!) and outright deception in selling their vitamin line with some sort of hand scanning device.

Date: November 09, 2011 03:19PM

The link below will most likely 'disappear' before we know it, or at least the segment will vanish. It's a blog talk-show with Adam Baker as a guest. His part starts at about 33.30 minutes and goes for a whoppin' 45minutes. The announcer's voices are a bit annoying but they do a decent job. I guess. http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ttylertalks/2011/11/05/just-another-great-show

You know, with the whole Occupy WallStreet thing going on, and the 99% griping about the 1% and their lavish lifestyles gained on the backs of the rest of us, it doesn't surprise me that this story is being cut off at the knees. When us commoners read about the ostentatious lifestyles or purchased vehicles with a price tag of double our annual salaries, it brings out a whole new level of anger. Couple that with the fact this money is coming from the commoners pockets(originally) through the likes of an MLM company is just sickening. I really hate MLMs!!!!!

Date: November 11, 2011 11:03AM

I emailed Adam Baker on Wednesday and three hours later, received an ePub format of the book. He did not ask for money.

I read it all Thursday afternoon. The chapters are short and to the point; it was a fun, fast read.

Well sort of fun. Both Sandie and Adam are awash in a sea of thousand dollar bills, provided by NuSkin and "flipping" real estate and behave like toddlers in a candy store, trying to increase their social standing by buying fantastically expensive cars, houses and wardrobes, when they are not chasing money or sexual partners.

Neither one of them are portrayed as admirable people in his memoir. Sandie comes off the worst (pulling her step-children's health insurance and education funds in order to hit back at Adam.. repossessing his saddle horses; one of his few innocent pleasures) but Adam is no angel either.

Mr. Baker makes a point of how he yearned for his mother's attention and affection. Yet,the last chapter of the book states "I hadn't seen my son Erick for years...he was 21 now" Oh, dude, dude!! I get that you generally picked crazy dysfunctional women to have your thrills with, but failing to mentor your children with all the money and time in the world is just sad.

One of the chapters is how he gave Sandie the slip for a whole week when he and his buddies went on a "Singles Only" Carnival cruise. He didn't tell anyone where he was going, so of course everyone was frantic and pissed when he got back.

Why didn't he choose to book a week cruise on a Disney ship with the kids if he wanted to take a break from his trophy husband duties??

He had so many opportunities to do fun, educational things with his friends and family, but the books describes his choice of companions; two men who like to party and will jump at a moment's notice at Adam's whim.

Later Adam laments that he guesses they weren't true friends. Well DUH! Next time give a second look to solid men who can stand on their own, not party boys looking for a free ride.

An hour after I finished Formerly Filthy Rich I didn't know whether to schedule an appointment with a plastic surgeon and become a prostitute or join the Occupy Wall Street movement.

I don't believe Sandie Tillotson created extraordinary products or services. I think she bought goods that she could get for firesale prices, sprinkled a layer of glitter and hype over them, and sold them at a thousand percent markup to us, the gullible 99% percent.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 03:23PM

A friend who is internet savvy, offers this advice for Adam Baker's book: " ...have them post it to Pirates Bay. Then it will be out of reach."

Date: November 09, 2011 03:25PM

BTW, I tried to include a link to Pirates Bay in my previous email, but got the no-no message "You have included ...."

Deleting the link allowed the message to go through. Search for piratebay [dot] org via google

Posted by: insidertothetruth ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 04:53PM

Just wanted to chime into this post, even the great article written and put on the examiner.com is now missing. I am a reporter who put in a call to the examiner, they told me that the article did NOT violate their terms of service, but they removed the link anyway under severe threats and intimidation by some attorneys. What is next? Sounds like this guy needs to get some serious media attention, before her team moves into "phase 2" of their attack and just whacks him for telling the truth. Don't be surprised if that's not in the news either. I sent an email earlier and did get a fairly quick response, at this point I believe he is giving away the books for free just to get his message out there.

Posted by: bannuskin ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 04:56PM

This is not surprising given that we live in Utah. Everything here is censored, we cannot even read a BOOK. I got a copy of the book this morning, I too agree that his story is TRUE and I believe he needs to file charges against Sandie. The reason he wrote the book is apparent, he had no other choice....

Posted by: bannnuskin ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 04:58PM

Hi Christieja, I don't think ANYONE in their right mind would go to all the trouble to put a book on Amazon, Barnes and Noble, several blogs, get radio interviews, link it all together in the internet to try and sell a book, and then GIVE THE BOOK AWAY FOR FREE? The one week the book was on Amazon the guy was already at #3 in the new releases. I can only imagine where the book would be if it were allowed to stay there. And it is obvious to me, since I got a free copy of the book, that the guy is NOT doing this for the money. Cynic or not - maybe you should read the book. I'll send you my copy.

Posted by: oncemore ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 05:02PM

Hey christieja, I just read the book and I got it for free. Based on the fact that the guy never made it past third grade, I really don't think he is masterminding a media coverup here.If you have lived in Utah and know anything about politics here and how big and powerful Nu skin is, it would be pretty obvious to anyone who read the book that the contents of the book are very damaging to the company, a company that is run by a couple of child molesters. Why is it that the people always in charge of children (boy scouts..after school programs...nourish the children) turn out to be pedophiles...?

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 05:14PM

Gotcha bannnuskin and oncemore. Unfortunately I do live in Utah but only for the last few years and because there is no separation of church and state, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to local politics around here. I do see ads for Nu Skin at the Jazz games and such but otherwise have zero knowledge of the company (until now).

I guess I just wondered if it was a very brilliant way to draw attention to his book because I listened to the blog radio show and it just seemed the book was a story of rags to riches and a woman scorned. Not once did I get the impression there was illegal activity involving children in the book. Is there a chance this book/attention could bring on an investigation for the pedophile claims that you stated oncemore? That makes me nauseous!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 05:30PM by christieja.

Posted by: christieja ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 04:53PM

I listened to Adam Baker's interview on the blog talk radio. I'm being cynical here but something just feels a bit off. Is there a chance this Adam Baker guy has been the one working diligently at making it appear his book and blog spot has been banned? This in turn would create chatter over what the huge controversy is in the book and in turn make people want to buy? Because honestly I have never heard of this Sandi lady, would never buy/sell Nu Skin and certainly not pay for a book on two subjects that just aren't on my radar.

Date: November 09, 2011 05:26PM

I myself sell books on Amazon and B&N and I can tell you with 100% certainty that the way the book became unavailable to the public is because Amazon and B&N pulled it from their listings. As an author, if I want to remove a book, all it takes is one click of the mouse and poof, the book is no longer available. When Amazon removes a book, they first disable the purchasing ability, while investigating and then remove the listing. I saw Adam's listing in its frozen state prior to it being completely removed and I recognized it as being under investigation.

I don't believe Adam is trying to portray the image that the big bad Nu Skin is out to get him. The Big Bad Nu Skin IS out to get him. I agree that this needs the help of the national media because without it he will run out of options to distribute. The issue of big money having the power to ban a book without the legal system being called in is very disturbing to me, as I am an author as well.

Date: November 09, 2011 05:50PM

I listened to Adam Baker's interview on T.Tyler (thanks for the link fearguiltpromise) and two of the hosts were just brutal, calling him a fool for walking away from that kind of money.

I've got to say my jaw dropped to hear the kind of unbelievable cash resources of this woman. She had a couple of houses in Hawaii, a couple in New York, a couple in Las Vegas.. more in Deer Valley.. for fun, he bought a plane, a helicopter.. 20 cars, just for him to drive around. Exciting, expensive cars, not second hand Hondas. Holy moly!!

But I understood it when he said that after you have bought every toy you ever wanted, at the end of the day he got no respect from her. He was an employee, not a partner. She did not love him, she wanted obedience.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 08:41PM

And what was her maiden name?

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 09:14PM

I hope Adam is watching over his shoulder. It wouldn't suprise me if he has a "hit" out on him. It is disgusting how money can control the media. Freedom of press my ass!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2011 09:15PM by lapsed.

Date: November 09, 2011 10:24PM

To Villager, Sandie's maiden name is Neaman and she married Craig Tillotson.

Posted by: lisu ( )
Date: November 09, 2011 10:34PM

Went to high school with Sandie's daughters. I believe everything Adam is saying. Nuskin is horrible.

Date: November 09, 2011 10:38PM

www.nuskintrophy.com

Posted by: lapsed ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 11:54AM

cant get the download button to work

Date: November 10, 2011 12:24PM

Send Adam an email at formerlyfilthyrich@yahoo.com to get the book.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 12:03AM

Are any of the original members of the tillotson family involved in the business or were they shown the door out?

I knew this family years ago. As I recall Craig was the oldest.
Clara the mom used to sell wigs.

Posted by: An_Engineer ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 02:38PM

Clara and Craig are still plugged in at the top of the pyramid and getting very large commission checks every month. However Clara hasn't been 'active' in the business in years and Craig, as I recall is only semi involved. It's been a few years since I worked there.

Date: November 10, 2011 01:03AM

Mother Jones posted a series of articles that mentioned Nu Skin during the month of September. Here's one:

http://motherjones.com/politics/2011/09/mitt-romney-nu-skin-mormon-church

The article specifically mentions the lack of differentiation between the LDS Church and the Nu Skin business. There's some detail about Nu Skin company shares given to LDS Inc., from which the Church made $10 million.

On the magazine's website you can also find the story of Jon Huntsman backing laws favorable to pyramid schemes, and of his backing Nu Skin in China.

Date: November 10, 2011 04:49PM

Villager...Craig Tillotson was her first husband. Diederik van Nederveen was trophy husband #2 and Adam Baker was trophy husband #3. Adam says on his blog that Diederik van Nederveen is also working on a tell-all book. This is far from over, me thinks. =)

Date: November 10, 2011 05:29PM

Craig owns part of it...Big Planet. He is very involved and he owns a ton of property (Pirate's Cove) in Las Vegas and Long Beach, Washington as well as other places. It's crazy how much money they all have. Their children are all a part of it too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2011 05:30PM by lisu.

Date: November 10, 2011 10:56PM

I have a copy of the book. She's a sick, miserable bitch. I spent so much money on that shit! ugh.

Date: November 10, 2011 11:32PM

just looking at the same bullshit they spouted 15 yrs ago is sickening. 99% failure rate! No wonder those assholes only get richer.

Nathan Ricks, Jeff Mack all of them are asshats...we were so sucked into that BS! It amazes me that there are folks still going to those Provo trainings and convention. It's a no wonder Sandie is as rich as she is.

Date: November 11, 2011 01:29AM

This is from an article in the Dessert News on 06/10/10 or there abouts talking about how Roney donated NuSkin shares to the church during a stock sale:

[i]According to Bloomberg, Roney donated 400,000 shares to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and Lund donated 3,000, which the church sold for a net $10.3 million. Roney netted $102 million, and still has almost 6 percent of the company's Class A common stock.[/i]

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.