Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 03:51PM

A recent post from a Mormon Mommy Blog...

I've been writing and rewriting and deleting this post now for the past two weeks. I keep coming back to it, which means I really need to say it. right? RIGHT?

Since when did church become like high school? Has it always been this way, but I've been too obtuse to notice it?

It's a huge shock to me. I mean, aren't we supposed to love and support each other, not compete with each other in a popularity contest?

Seriously, who cares how I dress and if it's in style. Aren't I funny and nice and caring? Doesn't that count for ANYTHING? Even if I were cross-eyed and had huge buck teeth, I'd like to think that I would have tons of friends.

Unfortunately the truth is that I go to church and feel like a piece of crap. I try not to pay attention to the situation, since I am not going to church just for social reasons, but I can't ignore it any longer. It really hurts.

Here's what it all boils down to: If you aren't outgoing, a snappy dresser and/or do not live in a nice house, do not expect to make any friends in your ward.

I've been shot back to earth.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Sorcha ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 03:56PM

Oh my god!! I hope she finds her way here.

Posted by: ablmu65 ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 03:59PM

You would think that those that aspiring to become deity would be more humble and filled with Christ like love. I have seen the same things with my kids and the small ward we go to. My children have better and stronger friendships with those that are of other faiths then they do with anyone in the church and I am happy for that. You shouldn't have to be in a certain tax bracket or drive the best car to be part of the in crowd. Sorry you have had to find that out the hard way.

Date: November 10, 2011 04:25PM

Ok so one of the comments was the classic...

"The church is perfect, the people are not. Keep going!"

Grrr...I want to tell her so badly why she's miserable. Maybe this is an indication that the light is coming on?

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 10:40AM

There are some fruits in our ward.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 04:51PM

of the nicest people in Mormonism and some of the meanest. The meanest bully that plagued my life from 1st grade through high school went on to be an AP on his mission and now has six kids and is well respected in his Mormon community. Fuck him.

Posted by: Sister Outsider ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 04:56PM

Could you please provide a link?

Date: November 10, 2011 05:08PM

It's a private blog. Kind of a shocker for a Mormon mommy blog.

Posted by: Tabula Rasa ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 04:57PM

Like you never made fun of someone with crossed eyes and buck teeth? Cha, right!

Ron

Posted by: Cali Sally ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 05:12PM

I know how she feels. I remember when Elder Bednar (not an apostle at the time) reprimanded our stake for wearing jeans dresses to the temple. Hey, you change your clothes when you get there so what was the big deal? Anyway, it was all I could do to get home from work, get cleaned up and make it to the temple. So when I heard that a jeans dress (good enough for church for gosh sakes!) was not good enough for God I decided that I was not good enough for God since I loved my easy to put on jeans dress. Needless to say I stopped my temple attendance, eventually stopped my church attendance and now, THANK GOD, I stopped my membership.

Hope this sister finds her way out too.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 11, 2011 10:24AM

Bednar is such a damn prick. I heard of one story of when he was president of YBU-I that he actually went out and visited students at their apartments!!!!!!! O_o

And let's not forget that pickle parable and the shit about the mishie who broke up with a girlfriend merely because she wouldn't stop wearing two pair of earrings per ear. YEESH!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2011 10:25AM by imalive.

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: November 10, 2011 05:21PM

Quite Struggling! Let go! It's more fun on the outside.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.