Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 09:00AM

Be prepared. Part of the reason they do "door to door" proselizing or unannounced visits is to catch people off guard. Be it missionaries, visiting teachers, or members of the priesthood.

Have a video recorder on hand and be ready for when "they" knock.

Answer the door while getting them "full on" in the recording. Record their faces and name tags first.

Do not let them get in control of the conversation.

Ask them questions...It is legally important that you record the asking of the following:

1.Why do you keep coming to my home unwelcome and unannounced when I have repeatedly told "The Church" that I am not interested?

2.Tell them that you consider this constant and ongoing practice of unannounced and unwelcome visits a form of harassment?

3.Tell them that their visits are nothing more than passive-agressive "stalkings" that are emotionally hostile and leave you physically and mentally shaken.

Put them on the defensive. Let them know that if necessary that this video will be copied and sent to "news stations", your attorney,put on the internet--any where you can think of that will get the attention of the public.

If they try to go into the "proper" way for you to leave the Church is to "blah, blah, blah".

4.Tell them that is the LDS Church rules, and that you are perfectly aware that to follow those rules is designed to "whitewash" the Church and put blame on the person trying to get away by maligning your character,and that you will not be controlled by their rules nor will you put up with any character assassination on their part.

5.Tell them that you intend to take back your right to "free agency" without any hinderance or any form of retrobution from either the Church or any of its members.

Continue to tape them as they leave your property. If they are in a car, get it and its tag on the video. "Stalk" them until they are off your property. You might get lucky and one or both will make a statememt that your video device will pick up that will show them in a very unfavorable light.

In any case, you will be the topic of the next PH meeting or Mish report. However they want to explain your behavior away among themselves, you, of course, have no control of. They have the right to their opinions and beliefs just as you do, as long as they keep it inside their Church walls or their homes.

For those that live in a "heavy with Mormons" community. You will probably find that they will try to punish you in passive agressive or even openly hostile ways. If they try to malign you through your job, or your children's school then record every incident. Get all the evidence you can and hire a good civil rights attorney.

This all depends on how strongly you desire to stop the knock at the door. On how much effort you are willing to expend to do so.

Or you can just not answer or keep slamming the door when you do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 09:07AM

I do have constantly running camaras at the corners of my home and on the porch.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 09:09AM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 02:48PM

Posted by: YBU ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 02:59PM

I luv u RFM!

Posted by: notion ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 09:25AM

Last time missionaries stopped by, they asked me if I'm home -- obviously had no idea who I am. I was so tempted to say: "oh, you're looking for my girlfriend?"

Yep, I'm a female :)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 09:35AM

... to just say, "Fuck off," and slam the door.

Sure, you could video them and give a little lecture, but the time and energy you spend dealing with unwanted church visitors is essentially time you've given to the church. It's certainly not time spent having a normal life. So keep it short and emphatic.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 02:42PM

Posted by: bert ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 11:03AM

Answer the door in a pair of boxer shorts and a cold beer in your hand. The time of day does not matter but mornings are best for this. Then state "I had a vision last night. Was hoping you guys would stop buy. Come in! Please!" That usually fixes 'em.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 02:36PM

Be sure and don't shave...

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 11:20AM

I think this is a bit childish, IMO. Just tell them you aren't interested. We can be polite to each other, especially to young people, even if we don't agree with them.

Posted by: MadameRadness ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 11:42AM

"I think this is a bit childish, IMO. Just tell them you aren't interested. We can be polite to each other, especially to young people, even if we don't agree with them."

You know what I think is childish? Arrogant 18 year old douchebags knocking on my door multiple times a week after i've EXPLICITLY told them multiple times that I am no longer a member and I am no longer interested.

I was polite to missionaries in the beginning, but that did nothing but embolden them. So now I have to be a dick. I don't see anything childish about expecting people to respect boundaries and property lines.

Posted by: FireFrenzy ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 12:03PM

The missionaires haven't been back since my roommate answered the door in her towel and "accidentily" dropped it.

Posted by: jebus ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 12:08PM

I don't remember who it was on this board that said it, but I loved the suggestion;

Crack the door open a bit and say "What is wanted?"

Posted by: wanderingsheep ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 02:51PM

jebus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't remember who it was on this board that
> said it, but I loved the suggestion;
>
> Crack the door open a bit and say "What is
> wanted?"

I think I will answer the phone like that. Too funny.

Posted by: jackjoseph ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 12:24PM

HA! And when they hold out their hand for a shake, give them the first token of the aaronic priesthood and say "What is that?"

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 12:09PM

It was designed for some specific missionary pests that wouldn't
back off and leave us alone. (A story for a different time!)

We had a window in our front door, so I posted this on the inside, then tilted the blinds so I could see them but they couldn't see me! :-)

NOTICE:

I am under no obligation to:
avoid all loud laughter,
lightmindedness,
evil speaking of the lords anointed
or any other impure or unholy practice

Enter at you own risk
Rachel, My New Name

(Big Smiley Face here!)

I put it on the inside of the window in my door then I watched the Mormons that came to my door read it! It was priceless.

For those that have been to the temple, this statement is from The Law of the Gospel, one of the temple covenants. As the temple is so sacred it is not to be discussed, seeing this statement on a door can be quite a shock! And humorous.

Law of the Gospel: We are required to give unto you the Law of the Gospel as contained in the Holy Scriptures; to give unto you also a charge to avoid all lightmindedness, loud laughter, evil speaking of the Lord's anointed, the taking of the name of God in vain, and every other unholy and impure practice, and to cause you to receive these by covenant.

REST HERE:
http://www.lds4u.com/lesson5/templecovenants.htm

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 12:56PM

But, Susie, I have wondered how your husband deals with having it up there, as he still believes. How do you two handle this?

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 01:14PM

Adult of god Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But, Susie, I have wondered how your husband deals
> with having it up there, as he still believes.
> How do you two handle this?

It a very small note, was only on the inside of the window in the door for a short time, then came down. He didn't say anything about it one way or the other.

Edit: I should add: he was just as annoyed with the missionaries as I was, and he was too busy to deal with them, so he told me to handle it. So I did! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2011 01:16PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: Meika ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 07:53AM

How about starting to cry? If no help say this: "Mormon book does not make sense. There are obvious wrong things."

Date: November 15, 2011 12:24PM

OK, the approach of answering the door in a towel and drop it (if you are female), probably beats my "be polite but say no answer"!

Now I'd go tracting more if that happened every once in a while!

I've heard about it happening in Sweden but it never happened to me where I went!

Stuff like that never happens to me....

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 12:18PM

Actually, it would probably be even better if it were a guy. That would be immoral in two ways, and probably induce extreme awkwardness. Remember that missionaries do just so happen to be teenage guys.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 12:38PM

In "my" mission anyway. The big push is for cyber-proselytizing. All the mishies have Facebook accounts.

Posted by: wanderingsheep ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 02:54PM

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

Posted by: Demon of Kolob ( )
Date: November 15, 2011 04:23PM

Just make a pass at them

Posted by: YBU ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 02:58PM

When we moved to our West Jordan UT address after being out of UT for about 40 years we had a new Jack Russell puppy...and we taught her to NEVER bark when the doorbell rang just in case it was mormon-misshees. She still remembers that one and she won't bark at doorbells, which is amazing if you know JackRussells. We used to stand in the halls and wait for the evil to pass...LOL.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: August 26, 2012 08:54PM

camera is a good idea. of course I feel really sorry for these poor guys who paid their own way to do a mission only for the church to take their money, I really feel for them that they really have not been taught the real histoy of the corruption in the LDS. everything they know it whitewashed. I will try to educate them about the truth. I guess I have a soft heart, and see them as human beings. they really are just puppets for this currupt company

Posted by: Nancy Rigdon ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 02:27PM

Not much you can do really. You might convince the current ones, but as soon as they transfer, more take their place.

Just last week, I had a missionary tell me that they keep contacting people with "does not want contact" by their name because "you never know when they'll change their mind and come back."

Ugh.

Date: August 27, 2012 02:31PM

You know, I get that we don't like the church, we didn't like being lied to and being fleeced out of money and such.

But I honestly have never encountered Mormons or Mormon missionaries who were so pushy that I couldn't just get them to move along with a simple "I'm not interested...". I'm just not in to pushing lawsuits and accumulating "evidence" and such.

I don't even like being rude to them.

I guess I am just not seeing what some of you have seen....

Posted by: davesnothere ( )
Date: August 27, 2012 02:39PM

Just refuse to answer the door. There’s always someone coming around to try and sell you shit you don’t want.

You’re under no legal obligation to answer or open your door to anyone. Unless it’s the police and they are properly indentified as such and have a legal search warrant you don’t not have to open your door

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 10:18AM

"Hell, how come there are TWO of you? We told the agency we only needed one guy to make up the threesome. But come on in anyway, and take your clothes off. My wife will be down in a second and check your equipment. It's up to her, of course."

Posted by: elciz ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 10:37AM

Well, I just can't be that rude to people. Especially missionaries. They are out doing what they believe in, it doesn't cost me much to tell them "no-thank you" or to offer them a glass of water. I just don't have it in me to threaten people or be real nasty. I've been told it is a weakness and my twin brother has offered to help me develop an "attitude". I declined.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 11:37AM

Invite them in, tell them you wish to "know them" like in the old testament and start to disrobe.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: May 14, 2013 12:24PM

The only problem I see with using sexual acts to scare them away is, what if they are into that and they stay? Then what do you do. It seems as though it would be incredibly uncomfortable trying to then tell them that you don't actually want to do anything with two horny missionaries at the door.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.