Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 10:18AM

Every time I hear this in a prayer, I want to scream! LDS church buildings may be functional. Yes, they may be utilitarian. But in no way can they be considered beautiful.

Have these people never seen a beautiful church? It does not need to be Westminster Abbey. Nor the Dome in Cologne. No, just a real church.

I'm sorry, but putting a few cheap prints on the walls does not make a warehouse beautiful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 10:29AM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 05:42PM

I agree. Mormon churches for the most part are utilitarian and businesslike.Nothing to inspire a sense of awe or even respect-just a lecture hall.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 05:43PM

you left off the last part; the implied ending to the phrase

"we thank thee for this beautiful building. Especially when the sewer backs up and meetings are canceled for the day."

or

"we thank thee for this beautiful building. Or at least we imagine it that way since we are all so tired of working for free that we can't see clearly"

Posted by: Verdacht ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:24PM

There seems to be just a few designs that are used over and over for temples and ward meeting houses. Economical I suppose. But a little imagination could make a big difference.

Why can't they get steeples that actually look in proportion to the buildings? They all look too small. Tapering pillars don't look good either.

We have a lot of very nice churches in my area but they would cost a huge fortune to replicate today.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 10:50PM

Two Sundays ago I went to a UU church. This Sunday I went LDS. The LDS sucked the life out of me. No darn windows!! Looking out the windows of the UU church, I could see the trees and the snow. The beauty of Nature for all to see. In the LDS church ... fuzz on a wall. ugh.

Posted by: Elise ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:06PM

Oh yeah, what's up with the no windows thing?

Also, another thing that never occurred to me until recently was how weird it is that every church has a basketball court. Has there always been basketball courts?

When I was little, my parents proudly told me the LDS church had a very useful lightning rod instead of some useless and morbid cross like other churches. Is that a necessity, by the way? Most buildings seem to do fine without it.

Elise

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 10:29PM

Love how they put up carpet like fuzz on the walls.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 09:46AM

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 05:07AM

People donated the money, other people designed it and built it, so why are they thanking God when they should be thanking the real people that made it happen.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 11:24AM

said- "Why should we thank gawd, we bought it?".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 11:25AM by mav.

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 09:32AM

Most of the buildings are so dirty now due to the lack of a janitor that there is no way the word "beautiful" applies...

Smelly? Yes
Foul? Yep
Gross? Absolutely
Den of Illness? You betcha!

Posted by: SaviorSelf ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 10:17AM

A wardhouse could be beautiful to someone who lives in a pigsty.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.