Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anontdg ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 12:06AM

Fuck that school. Just the thought of its existence makes me want to hurl. Their stupid honor code ruins peoples' goddamn lives...I just read of a young woman who got suspended and will possibly get expelled just because she said it was "okay to be gay." and fucking polygamist university isn't okay with that so they are going to expel her because she has a different opinion than theirs? You are seriously going to destroy her college education because of her OPINION?!?! GO FUCK YOURSELF BYU. GO FUCK YOURSELF LDS CHURCH. I FUCKING HATE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 12:19AM

someone should unwrap some condoms, make sure they are greasey and used looking and spread them all over the administration building. They would get their garments in a bunch and start getting suspicous of each other. Then they would see how it feels. BYU needs to shut down

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 11:34AM

BYU is a joke, it's sad that they are too busy being smug to hear all the laughter... If I were that girl I'd rather get expelled than spend my life with BYU on my resume.

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 11:36AM

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 11:59AM

Both my TBM DH and I have decided that NEITHER of our kids will ever attend any church-sponsored school. What a relief.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2011 09:01AM by imalive.

Posted by: buddhdayochristian ( )
Date: November 24, 2011 01:39AM

Gay friend of my brother was caught in a sting at BYU. Straight (security guy?) does the toe-tap thing in the men's bathroom stall. Friend taps back and is ordered out of the stall, investigated and expelled. Nice, huh?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 26, 2011 05:02AM

buddhdayochristian Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gay friend of my brother was caught in a sting at
> BYU. Straight (security guy?) does the toe-tap
> thing in the men's bathroom stall. Friend taps
> back and is ordered out of the stall, investigated
> and expelled. Nice, huh?

When I attended BYU one of my jobs there was being a security guard. They actually covered the tapping signals for homosexual sex in our training. They were running sting operations in 1988 when I was there.

Since then the school has gotten worse. They really have cracked down draining what was good about the place. I think the church in the last 20 years has become more controlling. When I was at BYU they rarely covered theology in the classes that weren't religion classes.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: November 26, 2011 05:09AM

I think the whole Mormon outlook on gays changes when they actually have some gay friends. I mean my TBM brother in law lives in California and some of his business associates are gay. He left the company and started a new business with one of his gay friends and it's doing well. The gay guy is one of the few people he can trust with money. Hard to find these days.

For me I don't care what people do in their sex lives as far as it doesn't affect people in a negative way. It's just a different life style. It has nothing to do with school.

Posted by: truthdelicious ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 02:53AM

That's so true. Honestly, the first time I was in close contact with a gay guy, I was a little scared. I didn't know how to react. After getting to know a few gay people, I feel completely normal around them. Sometimes, I forget they're gay. It really helped me transition out of Mormonism.

Posted by: truthdelicious ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 02:56AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2013 02:57AM by truthdelicious.

Posted by: rowan ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 12:27PM

--Maybe I do not understand, but why would a person go to BYU, if they were open minded about such things? Surely she knew that expressing such a "non-Mormon" thought would be likely to bring her a load of grief.

As for an "honor code"--what honor is there in bigotry, hatred, and throwing a student out of college for exercising her First Amendment right, the freedom of speech. I wonder if they refunded any of the money that had been spent towards her education? What about the time she spent there?---that is worth something! I would love to see a good civil rights (ACLU) attorney get hold of that place.

Maybe, she wanted out of BYU, and parents would not agree, and this was her way of forcing the situation. If so, good for her!

Does the Morg not know that such intolerance for their fellow human beings shows what bigoted narrow-minded people they are? Are they so deep in Morg-Land that they are insulated from the rest of the world? Or more-than-likely they have their collective medieval heads stuck up their anal openings.

Maybe, other more liberal colleges should refuse to "play football" with them. That would get their attention. Nothing like the loss of money to cause come kind of "REVELATION".

What with 2 Mormons on the Republician line-up for nomination for President, it is time for everyone to spread the word of what Mormonism is all about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2011 12:31PM by rowan.

Posted by: notnewatthisanymore ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 12:18AM

Often, people change their mind while at BYU, and sometimes they are so far in that it would be stupid to transfer and lose a ton of their credits. I was in that position, and had to wait 6 months in misery before I could leave with a master's and not with the PhD I was gunning for.

Posted by: vectorvirus ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 12:21AM

It is possible that she changed her views during her college career. Maybe she bought into it all and then later found out it was all shit.

Posted by: franklin ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 12:28PM

And for those exmos who defend their academic education and condemn the rest of the BYU experience, consider this: You had less of an education because of the mandatory church classes. Your academic classes were plagued with mormon thought. Including the math and sciences. Don't tell me your programs were "light years ahead" of other institutions when you have instances like discussions of entropy and Jesus' "atonement" in Thermodyanimics or that Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is "the veil".

Give me a fucking break.

Posted by: tmtinfw ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 12:43PM

BYU is the antithesis of a real university. The idea of a University is to be exposed to ALL kinds of ideas--whether they are "correlation-approved" or not. That's how young people (and older folks too, I guess) expand their world-view. Viewing everything through the distorted LDS lens does not produce real thinking. Perhaps that's the point?

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 03:52PM

IMO BYU is about revenue and retention...

LDS Inc does nothing that doesn't profit the prophets. So why dump so much money into BYU? First, it's a financial investment. Graduates (the ones that get degrees) go on to get jobs that pay well, of which LDS Inc gets 10%... for life! Second, it provides a controlled and insulated environment during a time when normal young people are exploring new ideas and world views.
Plus the whole experience seems to produce the most rabid of TBM that think they know all there is about the church because of the years of college level indoctrination, along with the coupling of "School Spirit" and "Holy Spirit".

Plus the culture tries to pair off young men and women with frightening haste, before the young women develop a strong sense of self. I could go on and on about THAT particular crap nugget.

Posted by: BYUGrad ( )
Date: November 26, 2011 10:31AM

Several of their programs are ok, especially the ones that are practical and not academic in focus, such as business, PR, marketing, etc.

Liberal arts and sciences there will be a little tainted with religious views, but not necessarily. Depends on the professor.

There are lots of religious owned colleges and universities across the U.S. that do the same thing.

But, it's BYU's administration and other aspects of the college that make it a little too "Big Brother." Namely, the Mormon culture itself. If you don't go to church, you can be expeled or at least reported to the Honor Code office.

In other actually mainstream (not wannabe mainstream) religions, if a person decides not to go to church some of the time, or at all, they aren't hounded and blacklisted. And in other religions, a cup of coffee or tea is not a sin.

These are the main the reasons BYU is oppressive.

Posted by: e1cid ( )
Date: November 24, 2011 01:28AM

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 24, 2011 09:06AM

I didn't know what I was getting into when I transferred to YBU as a junior (I'd not been raised in the MorCor). Provo was one hell of a damn culture shock. So I buckeld down eventually, grit my teeth and finished my last two years of college there. I wanted a degree and a career. And I got both.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 10:47PM

I agree. My aunt who is not from the Morridor went to BYU for her BA. She's a history teacher, & believes that the BOM is absolutely true & that the earth is only 6,000 years old. How stupid can you get? She's no better than a teacher at an Evangelical born again private school.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 04:18PM

start by changing the NAME to "Juanita Brooks University"

she exposed the MMM, BY covered it up, set the stage for this horrific incident.

ChurchCo will NEVER live it down, the ONLY starting place would be to admit responsibility, negotiate with family of survivors descendents for adequate/appropriate compensation.

thus saith me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2011 04:18PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: November 23, 2011 05:52PM

sugar coat it. Give it to us straight. :)

Posted by: NoToJoe (UNREGISTERD) ( )
Date: November 24, 2011 11:37AM

Don't most 18 year olds want a taste adulthood? You know, the ability to chose your own clothes, hairstyle, and housing?

Why would anyone choose to attend a 'school' where you clothes, housing, thinking, beverages, sexual practices etc, are all dictated by some 90 year old hill billy in a Mr. Mac suit?

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: November 25, 2011 01:02AM

Posted by: andyb ( )
Date: November 25, 2011 12:59AM

I went to Ricks for a year in the 60's...did not distinguish myself academically....came home, cranked up my GPA...tried to get into BYU...and the fuckers said NO!....so I went to Mount Royal University in Calgary and had a GOOD time.....

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: November 25, 2011 11:41AM

franklin (up-thread) mentioned that mormon theology is incorporated into all classes, even science classes (entropy and Jesus saves, the Veil and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle).

That really shocked me. Have other BYU students experienced this strange mix of science and theology in course material?

Posted by: J. Chan ( )
Date: November 26, 2011 11:32AM

But, no, I really didn't experience professors (or any serious students) attempting to square science (or philosophy - with the exception of ethics) with LDS theology.

I certainly wouldn't call BYU a prime example of academic freedom. Nor would I allow my children to attend school there. But, when I was there, discussion of scientific concepts was separated from discussion of religious concepts. In fact, some professors were borderline nasty to students who wanted to point out areas where scriptures seemed to contradict science.

I also have to say that while BYU is certainly not of the highest quality academically, my experience was that my courses, overall, seemed to be generally more demanding and rigorous (particularly my law school courses) than those of most of my friends that attended state schools (certain schools being notable exceptions).

BYU is just a very strange place. There is no rhyme or reason to the policies or decisions made there. The school is run not only by the Quorum of the Twelve but by a massive bureaucracy, the competing interests of which paralyze the school by simultaneously pulling it in many different directions. For example, I was attending school there when the Rodin exhibit was infamously cancelled. This was incredible to me given that the international cinema on campus routinely showed relatively controversial films that featured adult themes, and that I was required to attend many of those films to pass certain classes.

Posted by: LochNessie ( )
Date: November 26, 2011 01:22PM

I graduated with a biology degree in 1998. So times may have changed, but when I was there, NO religion was taught in science class! Evolution was taught straight out. Yes, some students had a problem with this and professors told them they were in the wrong major!

I did attend non-religion classes like foreign language for example where each class was started with a prayer and hymn. I also attended an Linguistics class where the professor started with a prayer, but never in a single bio or chem class did I experience that.

True, times may have changed, it has been 13 years after all.

FYI, I went to BYU because I had an academic scholarship that paid for tuition and books, and it was the only college my parents would pay food and housing for unless I lived at home and attended the local university, even though I was accepted with scholarships to other universities it was either BYU or attend college at home. I needed to get away from home. So that's why this liberal gal attended the very strict religious school. A lot of things of the university pissed me off, believe me I can give a very long rant, but I also had a good time, made some good friends, got my education and got the hell out of Utah. I never felt that my BYU degree held me back in my field although it does embarass me.

I have since gotten a masters and am working on a PhD. Neither university has any problem with my bachelors from BYU, though I have gotten strange looks from fellow students.

Posted by: byu_grad ( )
Date: November 07, 2013 10:11PM

I graduated from BYU in 2010 with a PhD degree in Chemistry. Got vicitimized enough to lose any desire whatsoever to have a career in general, forget doing science. Needless to say that I threw the Church out of my life completely and never looked back. Five years of total misery, complete lack of female attention and instead of that - two dozen of gay Mormons running after me trying to convert me into their ways. What a place!

Well, I am getting my CDL, may end up driving a semi soon and see aroubnd the country! Life is finally good. :)

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 12:16AM

I feel the same. While I was a student there, I attempted suicide. Before I even took two steps into my apartment when I got out of the hospital, my roommates told me that the honor code office had called each of them asking detailed, personal questions about me. I was summoned to the honor code office, and informed that attempting suicide was a grievous sin. I was told to sign a document waiving my right to privacy and allowing them full access to my medical and psychiatric records, and that if I refused I would be expelled. Several years later, I received a survey from BYU asking about my experience with the honor code office and whether or not it strengthened my testimony and helped me resolve my sins. That's like a rapist asking a rape victim if getting raped made them love their rapist. So I totally agree. Fuck BYU.

Date: November 08, 2013 01:36AM

I never attempted suicide, but my ex-wife did. For this grievous sin we were kicked out of Wymount Terrace and the Church placed us ... with the methheads and ex-cons (the Boulders). That was the place where she became addicted to meth while I was working 24/7, expected to be productive on my graduate program.

Posted by: crom ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 12:58AM

Free agency: Sustain the Brethren or suffer the consequences.

Technically a choice.

Only way to be free is resign.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 02:17AM

I was never allowed to go to BYU. I didn't have the right family connections, and was doomed for being female. That was in the good old days.

Thirty years later I have a 16 yo TBM stepson. He's light years ahead of most of his peers. He's graduated from Hs. He wants to go to a State college because thats where his girlfriend is going to go the next year.

His father and I decide that due to his age (16) he should go and live in dorms at BYU for one year. After that, he can do what he wants.

He goes to BYU for 2 years. He comes home and works summers with his dad so he has no school debt. So far, so good.

We ask him where he's going to school next year. He's decided to go on a mission. We didn't like or encourage it. But, supported him in what he wanted to do. Off to Taiwan he goes (2005)He spends most of mish as AP because he's good at the language, especially over the phone.

He returns home. He works for his father for a short while before returning to school. He wants to go back to BYU. I told his father he'd be married in 90 days. Father didn't believe me.
I was right.

He did graduate. She didn't graduate until she spent a year in a foreign country. Her parents paid for that, so whatever. It delayed the baby machine for a couple of years.

So, now their both graduated. He goes on to law school. NOT BYU. Thank GOd. She has two babies 10 months apart. They live in 600 sq.ft. in NYC. Whatever. He's out of law school, but contracted to NY for 5 years. WE will see how it all goes. So far, they are on the move constantly. Mom can't stand being home with 2 babies day after day. We will see how this all works out. I see signs of problems, but keep my mouth shut shut shut.

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: November 08, 2013 02:18AM

The irony of having an honor code when the university is named after a racist sex fiend who ordered massacres and said he'd have no problem throwing a javelin through one of his wives if he caught her having sex with another man.

Date: November 08, 2013 03:26AM

Yes. This is what religion does to a man - he is ready to go and gouge other man's eyes out. After my in-depth submersion into Mormonism I received such a lifelong immunity against religion that I simply do not allow it near myself.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.