Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:00PM

So, we are all born (literally) in heaven, then we grow up there have adult bodies that are "compressed" so we forget all our "heavenly upbringing"? Do we pack a bag like we're headed off to college and our heavenly parent say "Don't forget your warm sweater!" or something? This is one that sounds so crap-ful, and I can't imagine LDS theologins or apologists EVER being able to explain this!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:04PM

Fact is, if there was a preexistence and I actually CHOSE my life -- then I was a moron and am far more intelligent in this existence. Also, if there is some omniscient "Father" up there making the rules then he's a sadistic jerk.

And that's the truth so there!

;)

Posted by: rj ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:06PM

I made my mothers head spin with this once.

She informed me that our spirits have the same appearance as our physical bodies.

I inquired what our pre-earth spirits looked like, that being the case.

She said "the same"

At which point I made the observation that children clearly resemble their parents.

You can see where this is going.

By the end it turned into my mother uttering enormous amounts of nonsensical religious gibberish in an attempt to explain the unexplainable.

Posted by: possiblypagan ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:21PM

I like the idea of a pre-existence. Or maybe I'm thinking reincarnation? Anyway, to me it helps explain why some people are born with amazing gifts (Tiger Woods, Mozart etx.).

But then again, who would CHOOSE the life of an East Indian prostitute's daughter...

Posted by: Verdacht ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 07:49PM

This one was always easy for me to take. I think I aways believed it on my own. Spirit children are given mortal bodies through earthy parents. Simple.

As far as predetermining your place and circumstances of birth; I'll confess that made sense to me too.

It seemed like the most logical explanation. Come to think of it, it was the only explanation.

It's essence isn't unique to Mormonism.

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 08:26PM

I still believe to some extent that there is a part of us that is eternal. Though our bodies are currently bound by our perception of time, a part of us lived (and lives) outside of time.

In other words, we somehow knew (and know) time as one eternal round, and we may know it again (and again, and again, in an eternal sense). It's hard to comprehend now because we experience time in such a linear way. Still, we all experience moments when we perceive time as being slower or faster than it should objectively seem. For example, I have experienced massive change in my ability to accurately perceive time while on drugs, while in a car crash, while having sex, etc.

So, I believe in some respects that there is a part of me that saw our lives before we actually lived them. And, we "chose" to experience life. Because life is so beautiful.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:00PM

Human beings have been creating belief systems that keep life going on and on and on in some form or another. Living eternally seems to be a common belief throughout humanity.

The pre-existent state was easy for me to accept as a believer.
Now... I don't know.

I can't explain the thoughts and experiences and things I "know".
Where does that come from? Is it reincarnation? Some think so.
Maybe we do live more lives. It's an interesting idea.

Posted by: Bal ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:39PM

OK, mom and dad in heaven have heavenly sex and give birth to sons and daughters who go down to earth and call each other brother and sister and start the process all over again making baby's who are looking forward to marrying their brother or sister

Incest, god's other gift

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2010 11:39PM by balard123.

Posted by: EverAndAnon ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:04AM

It seems creepy that Mormons get the hots for people who they believe are literally their brothers and sisters. It amazes me that this isn't an immediate deal breaker for them.

They're part of a system that teaches that their daddy has a holy harem of sisters and together they make billions of babies who are then encouraged to repeat the whole process, ad nauseum. And further, this is what his daddy was up to with his sisters and so on for who knows how many generations back.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 12:28AM

As Calgary's population grew to pre 1 million. Many Canadians flocked to the city, many of them were young adults, (mostly teenagers), who were seeking refuge from unspeakable incestrious horrors, and abuse, and as a volunteer with the homeless many of our guests at the Mustard Seed, were runaway teenagers, trying to start fresh in this booming city... Who were recovering from heartbreaking abuses back east, and had great difficulty trusting people to help them readjust to a new location.

Posted by: Flanders ( )
Date: November 15, 2010 11:56PM

Ok, someone help me out here...If our heavenly parents had physical bodies, possessing procreative powers...why were we born just as spirits? Why no bodies?

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:00AM

After I die I plan to return in my final form as a single teardrop on a baby's cheek.

Date: November 18, 2010 12:22AM

When I reach my final stage of evolution. I hope to evolve into a Zerg Overmind.... Oh wait, I could have done that by being a Mormon.... (telepathic Hive Mind). sucks to be me.

Posted by: seymour ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:29AM

I must admit I've wasted some time thinking about this same thing lately.

And if our heavenly parents procreate the same we do* what is carried on the semen and in the egg? Spritual DNA? Is it a double helix, or a helix with no beginning and no end? A DNA strand on a mobius strip?

Does the mother, in whose image we're made, have a uterus that the spiritual baby incubates in? Does celestial pregnancy last nine months? If one day in heaven is like a thousand days on earth, then is a heavenly mother pregnant 270,000 years? That's a long time to have that "special glow." Women are truly blessed!

Is the spiritual baby fed spiritual matter through a spiritual placenta? Who gets to cut the spiritual umbilical cord? What kind of scissors are used to cut refined, spiritual matter?

A Wookie from the planet Kashyyyk living on the planet Endor makes more sense! Cochran may have a new defense! (please excuse irrelevant South Park reference)

* I would assume they do procreate the same we do, given we are created in their image. Using the same infallible logic of 2 Nephi 2:12: If they don't use their naughty bits for procreation, wherefore, their naughties must needs have been created for a thing of naught; wherefore there would have been no purpose in the end of their naughty bits' creation. Wherefore, this thing must needs destroy the wisdom of God and his eternal naughties. . .)

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:21AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCpjJlb9ap4

P.S. No need to wrap your mind around something that never happened.

:-)

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:15AM

therefore, spiritual bodies would produce newborn spiritual bodies (of different flesh, celestial matter, blah, blah), who presumably had sentience and were suckled from celestial breasts.

So...where did the "soul" come from that inhabits these new spirits if such thing is, say, naked intelligence? Why would that soul need to "inhabit" a physical body, when it already has the improved celestial model, which can be married, procreate, etc.?

Ah....God works in mysterious ways there on Kolob.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:10PM

Same thing

Posted by: quoth the raven nevermo ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 02:18AM

Which whacko profit had a revelation that women had a third breast on their back in kolob? The better for nursing more babies? But how do you get the baby to the boob?

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 04:59AM

*Sigh* What is it with the LDS church, and women raising tons of babies! lol. I really don't get the obsession. Seriously, who wants to spend eternity being pregnant and carrying babies around all day? Wouldn't the majesty of it be totally run into the ground after the first few dozen??? Most parents on earth can't wait to be empty nesters just after 18 years! How are you going to tolerate millions of children, one right after another, over billions of years?

Date: November 18, 2010 12:17AM

Like the mutant girl from Total Recall in Venusville?

Date: November 16, 2010 04:49AM

I kind of think its romantic to have someone out there that you are supposed to be with, because you loved each other before, and you agreed to find each again other later. Everything just being a big, meaningless accident is really dull... And since we only live on earth ONCE, I say why make it more dull than it has to be?

But... There are a lot of different ways that could be possible. Not just the LDS way. It could be reincarnation, it could be a heavenly pre-existance, just not by LDS standards.

Date: November 16, 2010 04:58AM

edited

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 04:59AM by melissa3839.

Date: November 18, 2010 12:16AM

About this business of finding your love in a big mass of humanity.... what if you were suppose to be at the exact time and exact place, but only stop to tie your shoe, or miss that person by a nano second? etc etc etc?

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 05:39AM

Why spend time on something that is so intangible?

It either was the case or it wasn't - what difference does it make.

I haven't got the brain power of Stephen Hawkins to try and make sense of the universe, and frankly, I don't need to know.

The thing that give me the most lasting happiness is time spent with my wife and my kids doing things that we enjoy, that make us laugh. Moving kids to University, going to the Cinema, Christmas dinner, helping one daughter pick out a new car etc etc. Going to the gym together, Holidays together.

Church doesn't give me this.
Religion doesn't give me this.
Church members don't give me this.
Pondering about the meaning of life doesn't give me this.

We are not here for a long time we are here for a good time and to help the people around us enjoy their life too.

In my opinion we shouldn't be sweating on our Enternal Salvation - if we are nice people it will take care of itself.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:16PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.