Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 08:31AM

Ok, so... Joseph Smith was the one who had the big revelation about polygamy…. Yet with all Emma's denials, the church expects us to believe he never practiced it? Huh??? I don’t think so. Especially not with all these details about his wives:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_wives_of_Joseph_Smith,_Jr.

Then there was (borrowed from Wikepedia) Smith's death on June 27, 1844 at the hands of a mob while he was jailed in Carthage, Illinois, awaiting trial for destroying the printing press of a local publication that painted the prophet in a negative light.

Sounds to me like he was just a hot-headed, imaginative weirdo, who wanted lots of wives, couldn’t handle reporters telling the truth about him, and dreamed of being the new “Hirum Abiff” (see Freemason history/folklore).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 09:09AM

who probably really believed his own lies. I think he truly believed that, in the end, he would miraculously escape and go on to champion a theocratic empire. In short - he was a genius whackjob!

Posted by: They don't want me back. ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 09:23AM

the evidence is right in front of them is amazing. It's one of the thing that drove me crazy with my ex.

His instance that what he would define the facts and I should not beleive my own eyes, ears or feelings.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:28AM

The people who killed him couldn't care less about his theology.

He was murdered because of polygamy, directly. Indirectly, he was murdered for being a scary and divisive leader of an out of control cult.

It's so obvious once you step away.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 04:55PM

He was killed in a gunfight in which he killed two men and wounded a third

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:17PM

that's just it ... the church does not deny it. They ignore it. Two different things. I think the latter is worse in the long run ... as TBMs slowly, but surely (thanks to the internet) discover the truth.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.