Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 04:41PM

I thought, given how the more is playing victim over its Prop 8 shenanigans, this might deserve its own thread.

A fairly popular small health food store chain in my area is owned by morgbots. Ever since their heavy contributions to pass Prop 8 became common knowledge (such contributions are - and should be - public information) they have been boycotted by a sizable part of the local community.

They're crying foul about being singled-out, and they're even claiming their "free speech rights" are being violated!!!

Interesting. So, they can use their own money however they please to support whatever cause they espouse, but they don't consider others NOT choosing to spend their money at their stores to be a free speech issue.

And they wonder why we think they're hypocrites.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 04:46PM

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 04:47PM

One of the ways to help people realize they need to change is to hit them in the pocketbooks. I boycotted Mormon businesses whose owners supported the equivalent of Prob H8 in Arizona. And I still do very little business with them at this point.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 04:53PM

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 05:07PM

At the time Prop 8 was being debated and voted on, there WAS (past tense) a Lassen's in my area which had been a most highly respected member of the community for a very long time. (My impression is about forty years but I'm not certain of this.)

Because of Lassen's pro-Prop 8 activity, a spontaneous boycott in the community ensued. Once Lassen's realized that they were in an extremely bad business situation because of their political activity, they quickly sold this particular Lassen's to an unwitting investor not familiar with the area (and, I heard, not terribly familiar with the U.S.--I heard he was British), who also--very probably--had no idea what Prop 8 was or what its impact on California and the local area would prove to be.

The new owner (who evidently did not understand the kind of store he had bought) quickly managed to lose any of the remaining, non-boycotting customers who had survived the sale.

Lassen's in our area closed its doors for the last time a few months ago.

I feel sorry for the consciously duped foreign investor (who obviously had NO IDEA AT ALL what he was "buying" as a result of Lassen's political activities), but I am not sorry at all for Lassen's.

They used profits obtained from the community to work against the best interests of their customers, and the best interests of the community.

What did they THINK their customers and the community would do when it learned how Lassen's had used their own money AGAINST them???

And against all of the state of California?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 05:19PM by tevai.

Date: November 16, 2010 05:11PM

Not very good mormons, or very good human beings for that matter, are they?

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 05:11PM

The duplicity of paying money in for the Prop and then trying to say they supported their gay employees just boggles the mind. What a slap in the face.

Posted by: elee ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 05:45PM

This really is the heart of the matter, isn't it?

"So, they can use their own money however they please to support whatever cause they espouse, but they don't consider others NOT choosing to spend their money at their stores to be a free speech issue."

Who in their right mind would continue to spend money in a business who turns around and donates that cash to a political cause you don't believe in?

If you're going to enter the political arena, you need to be prepared to take your lumps, not just your congratulations.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:55PM

Those owners are wrong on so many levels.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 08:19PM

telling him that he has no right to complain. Just as he has the freedom of speech to support the dilution of rights of some of his customers, those customers have the exact same right to boycott him and tell others to do so as well.

One more thing: how do you know that it's Mormon-owned?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 08:20PM by michael.

Date: November 17, 2010 10:41AM

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 08:21PM

halegal Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> n/t

EXACTLY!

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:01PM

Tough tittie said the kitty.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 10:11AM

Tit for Tat. Sayz Happyz catz

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:19PM

>They're crying foul about being singled-out, and they're even claiming their "free speech rights" are being violated!!!
------------------

Last time I checked, boycotts aren't a suppression of free speech; they are, in fact an act of free speech themselves. Along with certain freedoms come certain responsibilities. If they can't handle those responsibilities then they shouldn't have donated. They made a choice and by making that choice they've accepted the consequences. What they really need to learn is how to act like adults and not pathetic cry babies.

Posted by: Unconventional Ideas ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:39PM

This boycott is well deserved. More people should boycott Mormon owned businesses in which the owners supported Prop 8.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 11:12PM

If you patronize them, you're still giving your money to support the cult because they will certainly pay tithing on their increase.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 12:56AM

"When asked if he had to do it again, would he do it another way, Peter said yes.

“I feel bad about it,” he said. “I regret making the donation …. I don’t feel bad supporting the cause but I would have done it differently.”

In other words he regrets that he bowed to pressure from the Brethren to donate cash.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 01:35AM

"I would have given money in such a way that it could not be traced to me if I had it to do over again."

Reminds me of the Mormons trying to keep the list of donors to the effort to thwart the passage of our "Domestic Partnership" law -- one that allows same sex partnerships as well as eldery couples to form partnerships for legal purposes. (The "separate but equal" philosophy, except for the fact that the elderly actually get financial benefits from not being married -- so at least one group covered by the law actually benefits.) The attempt to keep donors anonymous infuriated me. Don't politick if you aren't willing to accept the consequences.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.