Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 04:59PM

. . . he laid in state in the high-ceiling lobby of the Church Administration Building in downtown SLC, first for a private viewing by his family before the event was opened to the believing public.

I was there. The place was cool, low-lit, stark, eerily quiet and echoey. Not much was said by family members. As I experienced the scene, it was, frankly, a bit weird and strangely emotionless.

I asked inside the family circle what ETB's funeral program would entail and was told by someone high in the Benson clan hierarchy (this being as direct a quote as comes to mind):

"I don't know. The Brethern are in charge."

So in life, so in death. The ultimate fate of the Mormon.

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 06:27PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 05:23PM

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 09:22PM

I remember that went by there with my dad as part of the believing public. It wasn't really part of the plan, we just happened to be downtown.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 09:27PM

How ominous.
Like,
"The Brethern are in charge,
so I'm sure there'll be a
virgin sacrifice."

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 12:33AM

UT in the 90's. Um....wasn't there? Is this where you're going to tell me there's no Santa Claus?

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 02:58AM

There is no SANTA!???!?

*sob*

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:44PM

steve benson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> "I don't know. The Brethern are in charge."

I'm guessing they must get their orders from the Brethren.

:o)

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:48PM

It should be up to nobody but the family how a funeral is run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 10:48PM by melissa3839.

Posted by: willowcreek ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 12:22AM

When my husband recently passed,the few of our LDS neighbors who did attend the "funeral," were pretty surprised.

When I explained to the LDS Funeral Director that I wanted to just use a small side room, as we didn't expect a large crowd ... we wanted our friends, not just Sunday friends, he looked a little taken back!

We didn't sing songs, and no one played hymns, or even offered prayers! We celebrated his life by remembering the good times we had with him, with our family pictures, favorite popular songs we had danced to through our fifty-two years of marriage. And friends shared stories about their experiences with him.

Our 4-year old Great Grandson walked up in front of the group and told them how he was happy cause Great Grandpa could hear again now!

There was a twenty-one gun military salute by shaky old timers, who could hardly hold up the heavy rifles. But I reminded myself they would have been on those ships alongside my husband during the Korean War, as strong young men!

Yes, it was a warm, funny, heart-lifting experience, and I wouldn't exchange those hard metal chairs for soft pews any day!

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 01:08AM

What a wonderful way to celebrate your husband. Personal and positive and you were in charge. Congratulations. I'm sure your husband would have loved it!

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 12:46AM

When I was a bishop funerals were viewed as golden opportunities to preach the plan of salvation. The grieving family was not to be allowed to dictate how the funeral was conducted, to the point that speakers and musical items all needed approval of the bishop. The bishop was the concluding speaker so that the church got the last word in.

At the time I didn't see anything wrong with this. But that was when my mind was largely under the control of a cult.

It now sickens me that I was so insensitive to the needs and wishes of people who were already suffering the most.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.