Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 07:09PM

Sign I just saw in a shop re its new store hours:

"These changes are effective permanently. Or until further notice."

That gave me a chuckle. Not exactly the definition of permanence.

It also screamed "Mormon Church" to me. You know, that place that has a lock on the one true doctrine that is eternal? Until it isn't? (As in, follow the prophet, even if he's wrong, until he's dead, and then follow the next guy even if he contradicts the last guy, and be sure he will).

Just before going into that shop I had been reading a few threads here about the Mormon Church changing its name (or choosing to re-emphasize a different portion of it, thereby negating its own recent strident instructions to followers and media about what to call it), the Mormon Church lying (about its history, policy, practice, you name it) and the Mormon Church's racist doctrine (ugh, I get upset at reminders about that subject in particular). I guess that's why the sign diverted my thoughts back to the church. (Another recent discussion here related to calling the CoJCoLDS "the church"; I do it only at RfM as we all know which church we're talking 'bout!).

I would expect that at least the core doctrines and practices would be either everlasting or at least quite slow to change. That way is disillusion-bound as not only is Mormonism confusing but it seems to be in constant flux. It's like blowing bubbles into the sky and trying to catch and keep them. The endeavour is doomed. The bubble bursts. But then a thin solution of soap and water is ethereal. Somehow there's the expectation that a church's belief system is more, well, permanent.

As I said in a previous post, nearly 200 yrs later and they are still revising the name of their church! Last time I looked the official instructions, especially to media, were to make an initial reference to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, after which "Latter-day Saints", "LDS" or even "Mormons" were acceptable. (Hope I got that detail right). Now they are apparently discouraging all names but "Church of Jesus Christ". Not even "LDS" is top of the pops with them at the moment.

It's PR and Apologetics all rolled into one.

This is funny, yet sad to me.

Like so much of Mormonism.

And other faiths too, these days.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 07:50PM by Nightingale.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:08PM

The Cult.

No more changes necessary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.