Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 11:27AM

Mormons say it is about a lost white brother that will return. When I google it a lot of hits tie it to Quetzalcoatl. But Quetzalcoatl being a white god is disputed by many scholars. Much of what I found by google searching involves Mormon or new age type sources. I'm skeptical and suspect that this myth is not what Mormons claim.

Any RFM posters have good info about Pahana? Any help or leads beyond the regular google hits would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 08:33PM

It's my understanding that the myths of Pahana and Quetzalcoatl all date to many years after Christ was on the earth...in fact, maybe began around the time of white settlement of the Americas. But there is no record of them before 1000 AD. So no way they could relate to Jesus, as told in the Book of Mormon.

Maybe someone can check on this.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: December 10, 2011 08:45PM

I'll look in some of my beloved mythology books.

While I think most Mormon claims are a fraud, the ancient 4 Corners cultures did have trades with the ancient Mexicano peoples; That likely includes ideas.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 12:55AM

Albinism occurs in all races. These stories of white Native Americans been albinos.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 11, 2011 01:25AM

When I was a young freshman at college back in ancient time I met a grad student in archaeology. Being a good Mormon and with the charge "Every member a missionary" ringing in my soul I mentioned Quetzalcoatl to her and suggested that it was really Jesus visiting this world after his crucifixion.

She kindly pointed out to me that Quetzalcoatl was a few hundred years later than Jesus. Funny but when the people at church used to talk about the Quetzalcoatl-Jesus connection they never mentioned that fact.

I decided at that point to shut up.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.