Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 04:28PM

Had a recent conversation with my TBM ex about Packer's homosexuality spew. I was nice about it, didn't couch my questions in a confrontational manner. I was curious as to her view on it.

Her brother was gay and passed away from AIDS in 1983, so I thought this topic would be very poignant and soul searching for her.

NOPE! Her response was that she agreed 100% and went on further to state that "..sometimes the truth isn't what people want to hear".

Holy cheese and crackers! This is a well-educated, funny, and compassionate woman who is SO duped by the church that she apparently has the attitude that "..he died in his own sin".

That's just sad.

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 04:48PM

My extended family has openly gay and closeted gay individuals, plus my family is full of theater people (thus, friends to many gay folk), and we regularly talk about how we love them no matter what, that they're great, yadda yadda.

So, I mention something to pops about Packer's talk, and he immediately spouts out, "some people will never accept the truth. They don't know what he knows, and they can't understand it."

I changed the subject very quickly to avoid vomiting.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 06:01PM

Say I am biased against fat people, if I was a TBM and the big guys said something about the evils of being fat, I'd probably nod my head in agreement amazed at their insight, no matter how disrespectful it was.

So many are biased against Gays that anything the big guys say sounds just like God's own truth.

I think Hitler had a real easy time with people who already hated Jews.

Posted by: Adult of god ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 06:11PM

Pops lets the leaders do his thinking for him, even when the evidence is right there in front of him.

No doubt Packer made up his mind about things for the last time about 35 years ago. He has closed his mind, but not his mouth.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 07:32PM

Posted by: burning bossom ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 08:17PM

"she apparently has the attitude that "..he died in his own sin"."

I think that this attitude is disturbing. It only helps people to serve their own egos, until something happens to someone close to them. Then what?
Let's say a Mormon man commits suicide, but doesn't happen to be gay. She would still feel justified feeding her ego, perhaps in regard to how she didn't do what he did and that she's so righteous. But to the people close to said man, life would be in chaos, especially to think that he cannot any longer make it to heaven.
The moral of my parable is that the gospel only serves the people that follow what it says, but to those who don't, life is dismal at best.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 09:58AM

But this is her brother fercrimminey's sake.

I just don't get it.

My brother was a major drug dealer that eventually took his own life. I mourn him to this day.

Ron

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.