Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: darth jesus ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 01:56AM

i don't believe in gods or in supernatural beings. my reason is simple: there isn't any tangible evidence to believe in such creatures.

what's your argument/reason when people ask you why you don't in believe in gods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 01:57AM

Ooops. Flawed question. Just wait. You'll see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 01:58AM by thingsithink.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 02:09AM

Agreed. No empirical evidence. No logical proofs. No personal experience that can't be explained.

There are no good reasons to pretend that any such thing as a god exists.

"Because throughout history....every mystery....has turned out to be....'not magic.'" - Tim Minchin

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 02:30AM by kolobian.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 02:16AM

I just finished reading "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins (great book). Near the beginning, he distinguishes between the personal, supernatural God that most people believe in and Einstein's God, who is more of a rhetorical device describing the Universe or the forces of nature. I think I believe in this second version of god. In Dawkins' view, Einstein's god is essentially another name for atheism. I don't like to call myself an atheist, though, for the simple reason that I prefer to make a positive claim of what I do believe in (the forces of nature) as opposed to making a negative claim of what I do not believe in (God).
Dawkins goes on to "disprove" the personal, supernatural God, with the disclaimer that you can't prove a negative and the burden of proof is on the one making the positive claim. However, even if God can't be disproved, it is possible to make judgements about the probability of a supernatural interventionist God existing, which Dawkins does very effectively. The most convincing point, to me, was the simple fact that explaining the creation of the world by means of God doesn't explain anything. If God created everything, then you have to explain how God came to be, which just makes the situation more complicated. Dawkins explains it much better, but that's the basic idea.

Date: December 15, 2011 02:22AM

Ooops. Another false post. It's not a claim. Sorry.

But on a personal note, I relate to your view.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 02:25AM by thingsithink.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 02:33AM

OK, if you really want to argue semantics.

claim/klām/ Noun: An assertion of the truth of something, typically one that is disputed or in doubt.

A negative claim, then, would be an assertion of the untruth of something, especially something that is disputed or in doubt. If I say that God is not real, I would be asserting the untruth of the concept of "God", which is currently being disputed.

Date: December 15, 2011 02:36AM

I was just kidding. I've been schooled by the atheists when I misspeak about atheist terms. They get touchy about the "lack of belief" versus denial of God or making a claim.

I like your post - that's how I think. Sorry.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 02:47AM

Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 04:50PM

That made me laugh so hard!

Posted by: quebec ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 06:33PM

For some reason this post reminds me of the movie (based on the play) Angels in America. When the guy w/aids ends up where the angels meet and finds out that god has deserted them... he tells them to just be ready to sue him when/if he comes back ;)

Date: December 15, 2011 02:54AM

I've been told, in so many words, that I'm an atheist in some regards.

My reason for not believing in a loving personal god that answers prayers and has a plan for our life is that no god would put us through this crazy experience and selectively punish people for no reason. If anything, the evidence is there for a wicked, cruel personal god. I know - but how do you explain all the good in the world?

I'm not sure why some atheists are so averse to expressing an opinion that god does not exist. They really seem hung up on the "I can't even entertain crazy ideas." However, we do live in a mind-blowing world. Even the minuscule understanding we have of our universe is mind-boggling. There are plenty of questions I don't think we can ever answer. The possibility that something (god) - dare I say energy or intelligence or higher power - exists would be no more bizarre than the insane circumstance we find ourselves in. No sillier, no stranger, no more ridiculous, no more of a paradox.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2011 03:31AM by thingsithink.

Date: December 15, 2011 01:54PM

"but how do you explain all the good in the world?"

interesting question.

i believe people can turn good or evil based on their own choices and perceptions of reality. people can do that on their own without the gods' influence.

on choices:
these are really good books.
http://www.amazon.com/Lucifer-Effect-Understanding-Good-People/dp/0812974441/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323974524&sr=1-1

you can also read about the "Stanford Prison Experiment" from 1971.

on perceptions of reality:
the wars we are in right now. are they good? are they evil? ask a nato jet fighter. ask a kid on the ground that lost his mother due to a drone attack. what is good? what is evil?

ultimately, in my humble opinion, goodness in the world is not evidence that the gods exist. for the same reason that evil is not evidence that the gods do not exist.

Posted by: ronas ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 02:02PM

To me it is the large amount of evidence that god was invented by humans.

You can look back and see the evolution of the concept of god and how what the concept of what god is is a product of the culture, needs, etc. not the other way around.

You can easily understand how the evolutionary needs to survive - working as a tight knit group following an authoritarian leader play is very well to religion.

You can easily see the psychology of why people believe what they believe and how they think and understand why they would come up with god. Dealing with the fear of death. Superstition, etc. all point towards people being naturally wired to come up with and believe in god concepts.

For me it is all about the question: "Is it more likely that man created god or that god created man?"

All the evidence I've ever seen points strongly towards man creating god.

The point I'm trying to make is that it's not so much the lack of evidence for god, but the evidence that god is exactly the sort of thing that humans would come up with that convinces me.

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 02:34PM

Because "God" definitely exists, at the very least as:

1. a word
2. some sort of concept

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 06:23PM

How about this definition:

A super-being who creates discord, mischief, doubt and insecurity among humans.

?

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 02:39PM

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 02:44PM

I can't feel his thoughts, either.

I don't see any evidence that He/She exists.

Most of the stories about God involved miracles, things that are generally considered to be impossible. But they are unverifiable stories.

So why should I believe?

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 02:44PM

As soon as James Randi hands out a million dollars, I'll have reason to consider the existence of a God.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 02:49PM

Of course, I'm more than willing to entertain any evidence to the contrary.

Timothy

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 05:49PM

If evidence ever shows up I'll reconsider my conclusion that there's no deity.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 05:58PM

I used to have a proof of the non-existence of god that used quantum mechanics.

Of course, it was more of a joke than a proof.

And, you had to know the Copenhagen interpretation of Quantum Mechanics to get it.

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 06:35PM

and then you would have to prove non-existence. Which I think is impossible. We have not even come close to understanding the nature of the universe.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
Arthur C. Clarke, "Profiles of The Future", 1961 (Clarke's third law)
English physicist & science fiction author (1917 - )

Posted by: RAG ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 06:47PM

We know a little, but it's a candle in the dark.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 12:53PM

well at first glance anyway... he posits that the universe just popped into existence... without breaking known physical laws... sounds like magic to me! :)
so Stephen Hawking believes in magic!! :)

hey just having some fun... i am sure he has mathematical proofs right?

Date: December 15, 2011 07:05PM

:)

i agree. i don't think the wave function collapses just by observing the particle passing by. i don't think humans come to be just because some big consciousness is observing us.

..and that's why I prefer the everett interpretation over the copenhagen interpretation.

Date: December 16, 2011 08:51AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2011 08:52AM by bignevermo.

Posted by: Troy ( )
Date: December 15, 2011 07:13PM

I don't need to make an argument for the non-existence of God. Nobody has made a valid argument FOR the existence of such an entity and I'm not going to assume anything without justification.

Theists haven't proven their case. It's up to them. I see no reason to assume that their god exists.

Also, I've seen people try to say that God is "self-existent." That's pure sophistry. A definition doesn't prove existence, even if you call it "self-existence." That's just confusion.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 08:25AM

It's up to believers to prove it.

Date: December 15, 2011 07:59PM

It's foolish to consider the possibility of something that cannot be proven.

Date: December 16, 2011 08:53AM

my sarcastic meter just went off things...

"It's foolish to consider the possibility of something that cannot be proven."

i dont think it is foolish to consider the possibility of something that cannot be proven.

consider...:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2011 08:53AM by bignevermo.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 11:21AM

It is, however, somewhat foolish to simply accept something that cannot be objectively proven. :)

Posted by: god dog ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 11:17AM

I Am- therefore I think-

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 11:22AM

If He created Me, why am I designed like most other mammals, but walk upright and have a bad back as a result?

Owwww, where's the Motrin!?

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 11:43AM

Posted by: foundoubt ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 12:18PM

Everything I know, or have learned about god, or any of his attributes came to me straight out of the mouth of another man.

Posted by: godmyballs ( )
Date: December 16, 2011 12:35PM

There is not a single solid proof by any religion of the existence of their god or gods.

No one so far had been to the other side and comeback to talk about it.

In fact out of the billions of people who have since passed on none have returned to talk about it.

If god exists then what is he hiding from? Whats he so afraid of? Why is he so mysterious and arrogant?

If god so loved the world, he would surely be here when Hitler slaughtered millions, or on sept 11 2001.... or when diseases ravished men.....

Date: December 16, 2011 01:22PM

"No one so far had been to the other side and comeback to talk about it.

In fact out of the billions of people who have since passed on none have returned to talk about it."

well Christians say one has!!
just sayin!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.