Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 12:52AM

I am a senior at UVU in the behavior science department. Us kids (i'm like over 40) were talking about different professors in our class, and they told me that a student in one particular proffs class actually complained to the dean of either the department or higher abaout his use of foul language.

This prof is really cool, TBM but real, and he has great stories, and people sometiems come with language. He is not too bad I would say, but someone was offended.

This was in a higher level psych class, so I think this person must be in the wrong place. Anyone who is going to go into therapy has got to chill about language.

Reality check!! I hate it when teachers have to be careful not to offend based on simple language. In my modern social problems class we have been watching the movie "Crips and Bloods, made in america" and the teacher said anyone that would be offended by bad language could be excused. What? It wasn't even that bad, no worse than a standard R movie. Ugh!! Only in Utah.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 01:20AM

but swallowing the camel. And in Utah Valley, the chances are pretty good!

People who can belong to and support a religion that institutionalizes, embraces and enshrines hateful or discriminatory beliefs and behaviors like racism, sexism and homophobia, and yet are offended by the s-word or the f-word (or whatever it was), have lost all perspective into what are the weighty issues of human existence and what is irrelevant--to say nothing of the self-righteousness that goes along with this kind of judgmentalism!

Posted by: libby ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 03:08AM

Overall, I think College professors should have enough command of the English language to be able to make their point without reverting to foul language.

To have a college professor using the f word would not sway me in any argument. A well-placed dammit seems better.

Most people have a few choice cuss words that could add strong emphasis in a lecture once in a blue moon, but some professors go overboard. Doesn't sound like this professor is going overboard, though.

It does sound like the student may need to lighten up to make it in the department.

Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 11:26AM

I have had this professor for two classes. He never used the f-word, and only used the words his "clients" used if it was needed to explain the client better.

I have never heard a professor use the f-word, but I have heard it in videos occasionally.

This professor is a hard one, but he is the best, and despite everyone complaining how difficult he is, his classes are the first to fill up, and everyone cept this one student, think very highly of him and enjoy his real-life stories.

He went to BYU, but then went to grad school in Chicago or something, so it is nice to have someone who lived in the "mission field".

I go to therapy, and when I met a new therapist, and found out he was in a BYU stake presidency, I asked him if it would offend him if I used bad words, and he was like, nope. Sometimes I feel pretty bad, and yep, should use good words, but in my life, it's like WTF?

I still find myself trying not to though. He is a nice guy and doesn't ever give me shit about religion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.