Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 02:01AM

Do you put down the mission, or just the fact that you have some fluency in the language?

How do you answer questions about how you get your language experience?

I'm thinking of saying that I had a sales job....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 02:16AM

If they ask, tell them you were doing work for A church.

I am not against harmless lies, but starting out at a new job that way is not a good idea. IMO.

My language is so obscure I never list it.

Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 02:28AM

I was thinking of just listing the language on the resume, and then when asked about it in an interview, laughingly say it was a "sales job".

My resume has BYU all over it, so its pretty hard to avoid the LDS connection. Anyone who knows the first thing about Mormons will assume I served a mission. Since they can't ask me about religion right out and I do want to disassociate myself from the religion of my birth, I'm hoping I can get the point across by saying that I thought the missionary experience was a sales job. Too subtle?

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 02:53AM

Sales job makes sense in that way.

I understand not wanting to say, "missionary."

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 06:14AM

I think "foreign exchange program" or "language immersion program" would be better than sales job, they're going to ask you for details of what you were selling and who trained you in the language to send you overseas. That situation could get awkward. You won't know your interviewer's beliefs/background and they'll might be offended by missionary work being referred to as sales.

Maybe you should just refer to it as a "communications project" run by/sponsored by/funded by the LDS church.

Posted by: emanon ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 02:46AM

I'd say listing the language on your resume is a plus. There is no need to laughingly call it a sales job, IF you are even asked about it. My advice would be to say you had training in speaking the language and then lived XX # of months in XX country where it solidified your skills in speaking said language. You may or may not decide to additionally share about your experience learning about and living amongst those of another culture and give specifics of how that has broadened your views of the world.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 07:30AM

I just put it in the language section as fluent in French. If asked, I'll say I spent 2 years in France during my college years. I also got a minor in French in college.

Then again, I have BYU on my resume so they can put 2 + 2 together, but it's illegal for them to ask religious-based questions.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 08:19AM

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 08:37AM

I have to review resumes to make sure they don't reveal any confidential information. I just did one for a guy who listed his mission, calling it something like "2-year religious volunteer activity in Guatemala, requiring acquisition of Spanish language."

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 09:00AM

On my resume' I listed Fluent in Dutch and Proficient in Spanish. Anyone that asked, I told them I was a missionary in the Netherlands (didn't say which religion).

Some perqs came from this. My first job in banking was on the Mexico Desk, and later in my career I worked for a Dutch bank. All-in-all, it helped my career in many ways.

Ron

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 09:04AM

I tested out of three years of Spanish when I returned. On the resume, I just put "Fluent in Spanish". If asked, I explained that I tested out, lived abroad and offer to speak it.

I rarely, even as a very good TBM, talked about a mission. The interviewer would have to recognize the signs of it and ask first.

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 09:13AM

When I was a teenager i was told that because the MTC's were so successful at teaching languages the CIA sent representatives to see how it was done but They found nothing different in technique etc.
I was told this as an example of the Holy Ghost helping out.

Is there any truth at all in this story?

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 09:16AM

Jon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I was a teenager i was told that because the
> MTC's were so successful at teaching languages the
> CIA sent representatives to see how it was done
> but They found nothing different in technique
> etc.
> I was told this as an example of the Holy Ghost
> helping out.
>
> Is there any truth at all in this story?

That story is actually true as far as the CIA sending folks there to check it out. I was not in the MTC prior to my mission as it wasn't there then. However, I taught at the MTC when I came back and saw and spoke with them. This was in 1978.

The part about the Holy Ghost is poppycock.

Ron

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 10:25AM

I tell people I did social work for two years. Which on the Navajo reservation is what we did a lot of the time.

Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 10:27AM

When asked, I explain that I went to school there and then worked for a church with which I am no longer affiliated. After that response they've never asked.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.